CULT CULT CULT

by minimus 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Xena
    Xena

All religion is a Cult...........

Spoken like a true agnostic huh??????

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Unfortunately the opinion you have of a cult and the word cult that makes you bristle when mentioned about JWs is not everybodys problem. Its just your perception of the circumstances; perhaps you were brought up a JW all your life and know no other? What does it matter what JWs are called we know it effected our lives in a socially negative way. Comparing and justifying in regards other religions will not remove the negative veil the WT has put on our lives.

So if you want to be fair call it what you want. I still say its a CULT and will never change my mind on that.

HCM

• minimus
    minimus

Based upon Europe's comments any political party could be viewed as a cult.Concerning the dismissive statement:JW's are just a cult, then we should have no problem agreeing that the Roman CATHOLIC Church is also a cult....btw after reviewing Europe's comments all of us on this board are a cult.

O.k. I'm a cultist.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Taken a step further, the way jesus and his followers are described in the bible, they make up a cult.

SS

• Europe
    Europe
    Minimus: "the Roman CATHOLIC Church is also a cult....btw after reviewing Europe's comments all of us on this board are a cult."

Sorry Minimus, I dont agree with you!

Re.1. I was raised a Catholic but we never characterized "outsiders" by negative traits!

Re.2. We never lacked interest and information

Re.3. We always respected other religions. (I lived among moslims for over 5 years) Never claimed we had a higher moral standard than the rest of the world.

Re.5. We never did such, and when I myself decided to quit going to church I wasnt DF'd, still had my family and friends, nobody shunned me at all!!!

Re.6. Dont think so!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

"Only a true cult denies its a cult" - Brian, 33AD

Pope

• Buzzard_of_Truth
    Buzzard_of_Truth

Minimus you are highly reactionary. The point is that the term 'cult' carries with it a specific criteria that would need to be fulfilled in order for the term to be applied appropriately. As Europe has pointed out, the Catholic Church, regardless of its demerits, does not fulfill the criteria. It is disingenuous to try to equate an organization like the JWs with any of the major faiths in the world, or with the average political party. Sure these groups exert an influence over their members, but in terms of degrees of severity it is wrong to attempt to classify them as being equivalent to the JWs. The insularity and extreme nature of the conditioning that the JWs exert upon their members places them as a group under the definition of 'RELIGIOUS CULT'. Who is denying that other cults exist? Who is denying that governments use propaganda and spin? Rhetoric and sophistry abound in the fields of politics, commerce and religion but it is a far cry from that to an extreme group like the JWs. They've earned the mantle of CULT. They fulfill the criteria, it's as simple as that. You may not like the word, indeed many who study the cults of this world find it an awkward term, nevertheless it is the excepted term and as such it applies without doubt to groups such as the JWs.

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry, but there are other sources that say Roman Catholocism is a cult and Christian Science and others not mainstream.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Maybe this topic should be in the adult section since people love to call Jehovahs people names besides cult?

• RWC
    RWC

Mimius,

I hope you are not trying to say that Roman Catholics are not mainstream. It is the largest Chrisitan religious church in the world. It embraces multiple cultures around the globe. The teachings under the umbrella of the Roman Catholic church vary from place to place by virute of cultural differences, although the basic doctrine is the same. For example, there is a much greater influence of Mary in the sapnish speaking nations than in Eurpoe or America.

Contrary to your assertion, the Roman Catholic church is one of the most tolerant of other religions. It doesn't attmept to control every aspect of your life, it doesn't exclude you from other religions or your family members who do not belong, you are encouraged to learn and explore and unlike most religions rightfully classified as cults, it doesn't dwell on the end of the world.

From the Christian point of view a cult has been defined as any religion that doesn't follow what is recognized as orthodox Christianity. From this perspective JW's fit right in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit