Anti-Evolutionists Wanted !!!!

by Francois 163 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

There is an evolution question bubbling up down the threads a little way, and it minded me to try to really get to the nub of the opposition to the technique.

I would like to pose very serious questions, and I hope they attracts serious, considered responses - once and for all.

Why is it impossible, in the minds of anti-evolutionists, that God did indeed create us, the earth, the sun, and everything around us including the entire physical universe, and that evolution was his technique; evolution as a Divine Technique? How do you know, how are you so certain that's not the case? How would you explain your opposition to God if he told you personally that, yep, that's the way he did it alright?

What it is about evolution that puts you off so badly? The evidence in support of evolution is admittedly incomplete, but what there is of it is overwhelming. We send people to the gas chamber based on evidence as good as is the evidence for evolution.

Do you realize that you are saying that God's action is limited to the scope of your imagination? And that a limited God isn't God at all?

Do you feel that accepting evolution necessairly means accepting the atheism it so often comes packaged with? Can't you accept the wheat and reject the chaff?

I represent myself as being a Spiritual Warrior. My belief in God is total. And so is my belief in evolution. And I'm very satisfied that I'm as spiritual as any of you who reject the idea of evolution. Maybe you just havent' thought deeply about it. There is something of the knee-jerker in your reactions (no offense).

Don't you realize that each and every time religion has argued with science that religion has, in the end, skulked off the stage totally and utterly defeated? (And it's going to happen with the evolution issue too, believe it or not.) And not only that, but each of these times that science has gained the inevitable win, the final answer provided by science has never offended religion in the least, at least not real religion, not honest spirituality, not faith with intelligence.

How 'bout it? Any anti-evolutionists out there who can answer these questions intelligently, unemotionally, logically?

Francois

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Francois - good post.

I know this might not be what you wanted, but I feel as though you asked the wrong question. I feel that the REAL question to ask is what makes people WANT to believe that their is a God? I was chatting with someone online yesterday and we were speaking about how we WANT to believe there is a God. We want to know that there is more to life than the 70 years and we WANT to know that when our loved ones die that somehow we will one day be reunited with them - so we cling to this concept of a higher power.

I can certainly see the "why". As an atheist I am drawn to the idea that there is more than that which I see around me, however, my mind tells me that I cannot accept that which is irrational. Its a classic heart vs head deal....

So to your question, my opinion is that people who believe in God have to believe ALL the way. If they allow any of the beliefs contrary, or which they think might be contrary, to the conventional creationist beliefs then somehow their faith will be weakened and their relationship with God will be tarnished. Admitting to something like evolution is something they cannot do and reconcile God's love. If mankind evolved why would there have been a need for Jesus to save man? If mankind had evolved how could they reconcile the concept of sin? ....and on and on till pretty soon the whole Bible is rendered mythical and their faith is destroyed.

I have been thinking about this lately, since it seems almost impossible to reason with people who have faith (please this is not meant as an insult to those who do have faith).

I have further thoughts on this which I will possibly write at some point.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Very nice posts! I feel so caught in the middle. Evolutionism is so very difficult for me to understand - to imagine how a cell could evolve, how a lump of living matter could somehow figure out it would be better to have an eye to look at the outside world through, how some little dog-sized thing could start standing erect, how insects and plants could in some mysterious way develop things simultaneously - things that would be useless to them alone, if it had not been for the other part involved, mimicry, millions of questions. But then again, the similarities, the extinct "ape-men", millions of questions once again. Creationists making a fool of themselves. But the again serious anti-evolution researchers, like Scherer in Germany, like Behe and Denton. Blind evolution is somehow linked to a No-God philosophy. Directed evolution is not, quite the contrary, but then again the Bible account is described to us as not giving the directed evolution story. Why should the Earth lay more or less waste for billions of years, if creation of life started only 50-60,000 years ago? But if the forefathers of Adam walked here a million or so years ago, why the Adam and all of mankind as his offspring? If there was no single Adam, then Christ's death could not have paid for the sins of those not being Adam's descendants, could it?

I'm happy it is weekend, so I can have a beer in stead of thinking any more ....... I feel the "final solution" is yet to come, and that it is neither creation as we understand it today, nor evolution as we understand it today, but somewhere in between, in the middle, that some driving force will be detected and suddenly, in the twinkling of an eye, make the pieces fit together. But that perhaps is just the dream of a battered mind.

I WISH for a creation, I WISH for there to be a creator, I WANT life to be more than 70 years and then bye-bye, I WANT eternity, but to what extent I allow my wishes to influence my thoughts on these matters, I do not know ......

• JanH
    JanH

Old Hippie,

Evolutionism is so very difficult for me to understand - to imagine how a cell could evolve...

Of course, this is the "argument from personal incredulity." Why should you and I assume that the origin of life is easy to understand?

It is, I agree, counter-intuitive to imagine that such a simple theory like the synthetic theory of evolution explains all the complexity we see in nature. Other powerful scientific theories, like relativity and quantum mechanics, are even more counter-intuitive, and also having the added property of being extremely difficult to understand. Yet, all these theories are supported by vast amounts of evidence, and accepted practically unanimously inside science.

Directed evolution...

"Directed evolution" is a contradiction in terms. The theory of evolution is about "descent with modification", and the main mechanism for modification (or, evolution) is natural selection. If it was designed, it would not be natural selection. Design and natural selection are mutually exclusive.

Science generally and evolution specifically may well be compatible with a God, but it surely is a God with very, very little to do.

- Jan

• Francois
    Francois

Gravedancer - While I appreciate your well-composed reply (and there are a couple of points you make that I want to address), I really would rather debate the existence of God on a separate thread, since it's a separate question (sort of). Of course, I don't own this thread, so it will go where it pleases. I was rather hoping though that no one would change the subject.

Having said that, however, you make the point that "creationist [believe] then somehow their faith will be weakened and their relationship with God will be tarnished." Creationists may very well believe that. But I am not a creationist, and I don't believe that. I am not in the business of attempting to comport the Bible with evolution.

You also said that "Admitting to something like evolution is something they cannot do and reconcile God's love." Well, you're right. They might not be able to, but I can. That isn't my issue.

You ask rhetorically: "If mankind evolved why would there have been a need for Jesus to save man?" Why indeed? (I can see this is going to get complicated.) You see, I don't believe for a second in the atonement doctrine. This barbarous idea of appeasing an angry God, of propitiating an offended Lord, of winning the favor of Deity through sacrifices and penance and even by the shedding of blood. It represents a religion wholly puerile and primitive, a philosophy unworthy of the enlightened age of science and truth in which we live.

I believe this atonement teaching is an affront to God - to believe, hold, or teach that innocent blood must be shed in order to win his favor or to divert the fictitious divine wrath . What a travesty upon His infinite character, this teaching that his fatherly heart in all its austere coldness and hardness was so untouched by the misfortunes and sorrows of his creatures that his tender mercies were not forthcoming until he saw his blameless Son bleeding and dying upon the cross of Calvary! Thats the Witness god, the barbarous Jehovah of the desert who wants and expects and even demands these things.

You further ask: "If mankind had evolved how could they reconcile the concept of sin?" Um, I don't understand the question. What do you mean "reconcile the concept of sin"? I'll just answer for the moment that I don't believe in the concept of original sin.

Closing you state: "....and on and on till pretty soon the whole Bible is rendered mythical and their faith is destroyed." Right on brother. You've hit the nail on the head. The Bible, that secular history of Jews (all tricked out as "divine" history) on the one hand, and of the developmental years of Christianity on the other, may not not be exactly mythical as you define that term, but it's certainly unserviceable in an enlightened age. It's functionally mythical to be sure, but that doesn't even begin to touch my faith.

Perhaps you'll post more on the original question.

Old Hippie, you're a man after my own heart. However, to your many opening questions for now I will simply respond that nothing is impossible with God. I have some ideas about how just what you question could have happened and I'll get to them in a later post if this thread survives.

You note "the Bible account is described to us as not giving the directed evolution story." Um, yes, that's right. However, I'm an intelligent man complete with my own powers of reason, and I reject what "they" say about what is presented in the bible. The bible should in my opinion be regarded as a spiritual guide, not a science text. There are certainly errors in the bible, but I don't want to debate that here (I hope, I hope, I hope).

There are a lot of things that are not in the bible but which are totally true, most notably E=mc2. And neither is fiber optics, nor quantuum theory, nor dissipative structure theory, NOR evolutionary theory. Why would such things be presented for consideration by people with no alphabet, nor number system, nor ability of abstract thought - the kind needed to conceive of a loving - but existential - father; these were semetic tribesmen busy herding sheep! They weren't presented. And except for the oil under their sands, they'd STILL be nomads, like the bedouin still are these five thousand years later.

You ask "If there was no single Adam, then Christ's death could not have paid for the sins of those not being Adam's descendants, could it? No, it couldn't. And it DIDN'T, and it WAS NOT MEANT TO. As you may have noted above, I hold no truck for the atonement doctrine, nor for the concept of God that makes it necessary, nor for original sin. I'm much more interested in the religion OF Jesus as opposed to the one ABOUT him.

The atonement doctrine resupposes an absence of unity in the nature of Diety, in that the mercy of God is incompatible with the justice of God, thus resulting in the elaboration of that loathesome doctrine. It's our very conception of God that needs reworking so we CAN understand the nature of evolution and the absence of need for the atonement doctrine - which is a sham resulting from ignorance and always has been.

And you're right. The answers are there, and they will fit together in the twinkling of an eye. And I'm offering that kind of realization to you now.

Lessee what else pops up on this thread that has so far attracted a couple of really good responses.

Thank you gentlemen.

Francois

• Francois
    Francois

JanH - You're absolutely right. The God of whom I conceive is a god with very little to do.

And again, yes, evolution defined as "natural selection" would rule direction by God out if - by "natural" you mean "random."

On the other hand, if a smart molecule - as DNA, for instance certainly is - were let loose on this planet and in its design was contained the potentials for all we regard as living - that would be a different story altogether. We got very close to the nub of this idea several years ago in the theory of dissipative structures, however this beautiful theory wasn't applied to evolution.

One would suspect the fiat creation of perfect beings to be an everyday occurance for an infinite and omnipotent God. Putting a smart molecule on a mote orbiting an unremarkable star in an unremarkable galaxy, replete with all the instructions needed for it to evolve into something interesting that also had free will - now that would be fun. You really wouldn't have to DO anything so much as to watch and see what happened. Maybe even take bets. God does play dice after all in my way of viewing things.

Francois

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

There is a reason Evolution is called a theory. There is a reason it is not call a Law. However, I recently heard a couple of speeches on the creationist theory and the justification of the literal 6 days of creation. I was so stunned by their stupidity that I couldn't even ramble off a coherent question. The most I could get out was, "So I guess the Babylonians were right." Honestly, I'm not the guy to answer this question either but I do love the debate. The fact is Evolution has large gaps in its chain. I think the reason there are missing links is because there are no links. My theory is that life is not as hard to come by as we like to tell ourselves. I would be exstatic if we could send a probe to the Jupiter moon (too early to remember the name) with the water and volcano's. There are several facts that help it stand up though. It is a fact that evolution happens and it is happening right now. But I think that scientists are far too eager to make leaps in logic just to support their own viewpoint. Of course believing in creationism takes a huge leap in faith as well. All that being said, I believe that hundreds of lifeforms grew on their own and are not related to each other, other than chemical make up. I believe that humans as we know them today have been around just as long as every other species of humanoid. Or we were a freaky genetic experiment by aliens from the 12th planet www.sitchin.com . Sorry had to throw that in there ;)

gsx1138

• JanH
    JanH

gsx,

There is a reason Evolution is called a theory. There is a reason it is not call a Law.

Yes, there is, but not the one you think about

We have a theory of evolution, and we have the fact of evolution. Likewise we have a theory of gravity, and the fact of gravity. I would not, if I were you, take confort in the word "theory" and walk off tall buildings.

Laws are a totally different animals. Generally laws of science are mathematically formulated. In evolution there are a few laws, like there are in gravity.

- Jan

• Francois
    Francois

GSX - Keep in mind also that it's called "The Theory of Relativity" but you don't want to be at ground zero when the H-bomb goes off.

Attempting to gain solace by calling it only a theory is blowing semantic sunshine up your own pants.

Frank

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Francois - thanks for the gracious reply.

In my response I will take the presumptuous liberty of generalizing and labeling. I often find it tough not to offend those whom I shall label "believers"

From your response, however, I believe you have your own answer to the original post. The answer comes back to what a "believer" believes. While I am being so presumptuous lets continue labeling.....We get "conventional believers" (CBs) and "non-conventional believers" (NCBs).

CBs follow generally follow the Bible. The structure of their belief system generally goes: God created man, man sinned, God atoned man by sending Jesus to die for man. They believe the primary purpose of the Bible is to lead/guide them to God through Jesus. Therefore they cannot accept something like evolution since it cannot be reconciled to the flow of the teaching. It flies in the face of creation so the whole logic chain is disrupted and becomes contradictory.

As far as NCBs.they believe in some form of God. I gather that you fall into this category. Before challenging your beliefs, I would ask that you clarify the source of those beliefs if you would be so kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit