What do Americans actually really know about???

by invisible 90 Replies latest jw friends

• invisible
    invisible

What do Americans in general actually really know about the big outside world outside of their own culture?

It's certainly not just me, but for years since early childhood in fact, it has been commonly accepted by many, that Americans in general are the biggest ignorant fools residing almost anywhere on the planet, yet they still do their damndest to have everyone believe what a great nation they are. Is it even beyond their comprehension how foolish they look often to the rest of the world, the fact that they have so little understanding of problems on the worldwide front?

What is it with Americans that they lick ass to each other so much and spout so much crap all the time?

Why are Americans so obviously stupid as a nation? Arrogant and stupid?

Just interested.

'Celtic' Mark

Cornwall UK

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Invisible:

Americans have excellent barbecues. As I suspect you're about to find out.

Expatbrit

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

expat...LOLOL

If you're talking about art and film, I suspect that most of America is in the dolldrums, but I and my friends have a keen interest in such things, American art included.

I've visited other countries, and think I have a worldly, open-minded attitude towards things.

If you're talking about politics, I think we are the same as the rest of the world, except we have bigger guns.

But, my friends and I always lament that this is the dark ages all over again, with people more interested in spectacles than things truly special. America is the big culprit there.

America's spoiled rotten, that what our problem is.

ashi

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Please Mark, don't hold back, just tell us what you really think.

What got you all riled up today? Did some American do something that really pissed you off?

I am sure you are just upset so I will forgive you for stating that all Americans are ignorant and stupid. That is just not true and I am sure you are aware of that. Americans are simply proud of their nation and this may come through at times as arrogance. But then, aren't you just as proud of the United Kingdom? I wouldn't ever fault you for that.

So, my friend, please calm down. I wish you peace.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Celtic,

I would have thought that you were the sort of person who is accepting of everyone...how strange.

Sirona

• Gopher
    Gopher

Celtic,

Who "commonly accepts" that Americans are the biggest, most ignorant fools on earth? I'm totally unaware of anyone who commonly accepts that! Sorry, I'm no help here. Except to point out that your generalization is untrue, because your thesis is not commonly accepted here. But maybe we're just too busy to notice.

Gopher

• Undecided
    Undecided

It's strange how so many countries wan't our money and help, but don't give a damn about our culture or people. I know there is corruption in all countries and governments, but the US seems to be doing OK so far in letting the people live their own lives. If we don't get overrun by Mexicans it may continue for a spell longer.

Ken P.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

invisible...you are right in saying that as a whole, our nation is ignorant of world events. I addressed this somewhat on another thread. Because this nation has enjoyed a bounteous prosperity for so long, most have become oblivious to the happenings in the outside world unless it directly effects them in some way. If not...why be bothered with happenings in Turdistan or Shithapenztan? All our cell phones, computers, nintendo, new cars, fashion trends, oh, and let's not forget...all out Hollywood movies and Dawson's Creek-like shows would be a better way to occupy our time and energies.

I for one, really strive to take a broader world view. I try to find other sources of information when I can rather than just depending on government or special interest controlled news agencies. I find that limiting my world view to what is put before me by Dan Rather is akin to going to an "all you can eat buffet" and only hitting the appetizer bar.

"yet they still do their damndest to have everyone believe what a great nation they are."

We must be doing something right....Look at all the people from other countries who still do their best to get in through any means. We may be a "young" nation, but that's part of what is titillating to other nations. We have a vigor that many "older" nations seem to have lost. We have been willing to take risks that older nations have shied away from. Yep...sometimes we get burned by it, but at other times we've reaped great rewards.

As far as the whole "ass licking" thing...well, i'm not too into that. I'd rather lick other parts of a female anatomy.

I beg pardon for the ignorance, but see nothing wrong with showing the pride that many interpret as arrogance. As far as being "stupid", this is defined as wellgiven to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner . I think all nations continue to be guilty of this, not just America.

Just some random thoughts...

Coon

• City Fan
    City Fan

As a Brit I have to disagree.

I've only been to the US once, Mineapolis. I was there for a week and met some great people. They knew a lot about british culture (music,TV etc). They were not all big and fat which is what i'd been told. In fact some of the girls I met were bloody gorgeous.

Much of what I love about life is American. Hollywood films, great comedians, American music.

I do think President Bush is a bit of a nutcase. I worry about him. And I do think they have to change their foreign policies quickly.

But in the end I'm glad the world super power is the US and not Iran or Iraq.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

so sick of this americans are ignorant blah blah blah crap. yes there are lots of dumbasses here as there are in the whole world. and unfortunately some of these dumbasses have very loud mouths! but it's not my fault! so don't put me in with the dumbass americans pls. it gets old and makes me want to hurl things at people take me for me, a human being who happened to be born in the midwest US. and i will take you for you, where ever you happened to be born.....who cares? it's about you not what "brand" you are right? right???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit