Where did you look at, at the conventions?

by fulano 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Matty
    Matty

Prisca, Good point. When I was little if someone called you a faggot, it wasn't very vulgar at all, it was like calling you a nitwit. In the UK faggots are a type of meatball, popular in Wales, and served with peas.

I watch the gulls and the pigeons too, I forgot about that! Another favourite bit of entertainment is watching a wasp or bee fly around the audience, and watching people's reactions - some people go absolutely nuts!

Edited by - matty on 29 June 2002 6:47:20

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

Looking through my binoculars, at all the hot guys.

• avengers
    avengers

"Coloured sisters???

I haven't heard anyone refer to Black people as 'Coloured" since the sixties! "

And I couldn't resist this one: "The Wonderful World of Color" lol

• LDH
    LDH
    if there were any nice coloured sisters

LOL! Chill out you guys! He meant to say "Negroes"!!!

(Seriously, first "they" were N-----ers, then Negroes, then colored, then black, then African-American.....ENOUGH ALREADY!!! If I can call my white friends white, I'm calling my black friends black....)

When I was about 6, I was spied through binocs picking my nose!!!!!

This, by a boy in our congregation who had a crush on my sister. And spread it though the whole hall.

LOL., I can't believe I admitted that!!!

Lisa

• Jewel
    Jewel

I can remember one particularly nasty assembly in Kansas City, MO. The temp. was in the upper 90's. Literally sat and watched the top of my knees blister in the sun. It was beastly hot and if you went inside the concourse for a bit of shade, the attendants would tell you to go to your seat. GRRRR!

It was also at that assembly that a baby died. The parents had put it in one of those carriers in front of their seats (squeezed in because there was NO ROOM between the rows. They covered it with a light blanket to keep the sun off and it suffocated from the heat and lack of air under the blanket.

It was also the assembly where my Mom passed out cold standing in line for some assembly food. She (and we kids) were all carried off to the "first aid" where there were DOZENS of other folks who had passed out from the heat. The first aid was air conditioned so I whispered to Mom that she should stay groggy looking as long as possible.

It was also the assembly where I was baptized. Bad chi all around...

Jewel

• Eric
    Eric

wasasister,

Ah, the old Queen Elizabeth Stadium on the PNE fairgrounds! Don't know what years you may have attended assemblies there, but in '71 or maybe '72, when I was 11 or 12 years old, the exhibition with all of those rides and candy apples and of course, that roller-coaster proved too much of a temptation for me and my best friend Bert.

We schemed up our best plan of lies for our parents, each one of us saying we would be sitting with the other one's family (which wouldn't have been too bad for me if it was true, as I had a fiendish boy-hood crush on Bert's cute sister), and we ditched our assembly badges and hit the fairgrounds. That whole saturday we spent the way young boys ought to spend their summer, taking rides, trying our hand at the 'games of skill', running and laughing out loud in the crowd, budgeting our pittance of savings on the best stuff and generally goofing off.

If you were there that year, wasasister, sitting in the west bleachers and watching that roller-coaster as it crested the tallest hill, that was Bert and I waving to you all, the crowd in the stands, as we broke ranks and had "The Best Summer Ever".

Eric

• Nikita
    Nikita

First, I would try to wear sunglasses too-for sleeping when i couldn't stay focused any more!

But, the one thing my friends Denise, Michelle, and I always loved about conventions was scoping out our fave guys and just happening by them to make conversation!

Nikita

• Eric
    Eric

Jewel,

So Sorry that my post follows directly on yours. I'm a slow typist, and your post was not up when I started mine. How sad about that poor baby.

Bad chi, indeed.

Eric

• Simon
    Simon

yes, the pidgeons at maine-road were a great way to pass the time. The echoey sound system and the droning of the speaker sending you into a half-sleep/half-wake trance.

There was always the danger of waking with a start (or a scream) when an unexpected burst of applause hit you.

Anyone remember the Wythenshawe assembly hall? You could always make up patterns with the circles and squares/triangles at the back of the stage.

Edited to add: cute sisters ... hell yes! Much nicer to watch than the pidgeons if there was one in the vacinity.

Edited by - Simon on 29 June 2002 10:44:49

• Jewel
    Jewel

So Sorry that my post follows directly on yours. I'm a slow typist, and your post was not up when I started mine. How sad about that poor baby.

Bad chi, indeed.

Eric-no apology necessary! I know how the boards can do that-we were probably typing our replies at the same time. Anyway, I loved your story and the mental picture I got of these two kids enjoying the rides and eating cotton candy instead of sitting at the assembly! I was 13 or 14 at that assembly I remember and it was probably in the 71/72ish era too...wish I'd been with you on the ferris wheel-roller coasters make me...um...sick!

Jewel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit