Where did you look at, at the conventions?

by fulano 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Eric
    Eric

Thanks, Jewel.

It's nice to see that the mood change could work in both directions. Power of the written word.

If we were to meet someday, I'd like to think we could find a ferris wheel somewhere. I must still have a few "Best Summers Ever" left in me.

OK, now I've gone all sappy...

Eric

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

"Smithers, pass me the bioculars......"

Well, I looked at hot girls walking by....there was always those saucy ones who wore practically nothing that entertained.

I would walk the vaulted hallways of Vets Stadium trying not to collapse in the heat....I swear I never heard a thing in the program.

ashi

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Always thru my binoculars

• Solace
    Solace

We used to look around for family and friends through the binoculars.

Sometimes we would look at one section and count how many yellow shirts, how many red shirts and so on.

Last but not least, go to use the rest room and end up walking around the entire Silverdome. Just streaching our legs, yeah right...

• Imbue
    Imbue

Rev: perhaps he meant women of colour rather then just African American women..

• wasasister
    wasasister

Eric: I was 13 years old during the time of my first visit to Vancouver. Having lived in a small town my entire life, I fell immediately in love with this beautiful and slightly European city. I was a fan at the time of James Bond, and was enthralled with everything British.

When I first entered the city, someone pointed out the "Lions" to the north, and I was transfixed by them, whenever the clouds cleared away enough to get a good look. I took many rides on the roller coaster, although I was devout enough to wait until the lunch breaks.

I was recently in Vancouver - just two weeks ago. I stayed at a hotel on Renfrew Street, just to the west of the park. I decided it would be fun to go back and take a ride on that same roller coaster, for old time's sake. Much to my dismay, the park closed (on a warm Saturday evening) at 7pm. What are these people thinking? Hundreds of people were streaming out of the park, money yet to be spent. Why on earth would it close so early on a long, summer night?

As I walked around the area, I remembered doing "rooming work" at some of those same houses. Do you remember when we would ask homeowners to rent out a room for convention delegates? Can you imagine doing such a thing today?

Vancouver still holds a fascination for me, a romantic first-love sort of feeling. I was sad to see such a long stretch of slum-like area surrounding the city proper. It's like running into your first boyfriend and trying not to notice he hasn't taken care of himself. :)

Thanks for sharing your good memories of this place.

Wasa

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey
    JoannaDandy- Then I would stare at the ceiling...niffty ramps and such up there. mmmm cables.

LOL... all those beams & catwalks & ramps & cables & speaker systems fascinated me, too... I used to be an avid reader of Spider-Man, so I would look around & daydream about Spidey web-swinging from all these features, from one area of the convention center to another, having some heroic battle against the Green Goblin or some such! This activity was only broken up by such things as artistic inspiration (read: doodling), dramas (damn, the lights went out, now what do I do?), or the blessed occasions when a bird or 2 would get stuck in the center somehow and noisily fly around the ceiling (let's see the attendants do something about THAT

• razorMind
    razorMind

My sister, me, and several of our JW cousins, friends and acquaintances all decided to sit together at the Hampton Coliseum (Hampton, VA, USA). There must have been almost 20 of us in all, taking up an entire row.

Anyway, we all conked out and went to sleep--all of us missing the ENTIRE second half of the program. We could be seen from miles away; a whole row of teenagers knocked out asleep. Many "brothers" and "sisters" commented on it later.

Dark, cool, with a deep dull voice droning on in the background.....I could get some good sleep at a convention. Especially with a pillow (supposedly for one's "back") and a blanket (supposedly for the "chill").....

I also liked to look up at the various ramps and ladders on the ceilings, and marvel at how any human could be brave enough to venture out on them.

• Knotty_boy
    Knotty_boy

I would stare at the great big American flags hanging all around the Coliseum, and the cigarette advertisement signs... wishing I had one!!!! The funniest thing I ever seen at a assembly, was at a District Convention in Kansas City.. I was watching a poor blind sister, who had her seeing eye dog next to her.. through out the day, she would munch on a sandwich.. Well I saw her take a bite out of the sandwich, and set it on top of her Iqloo cooler, and her dog snatched it all up in one bite!!!!!!!! About 30 secs. passed, she reached for her sandwich, much to her dismay.. it was GONE!!!!! I watched this poor sister feel under her chair, in front, behind, everywhere!! She made another attempt w/ a new sandwich, in which the same thing happened... I really think she thought the kids next to her was stealing them.. I busted out laughing, I couldnt help myself... I know it's not right to get amusement out of a disabled persons mishaps.. but by-god, it was the most exciting part of the assembly!! (besides those poor children, who would stand in the stadium seats, and they would fold up on them.. but thats a different story)

• mr party
    mr party

the girls! and forget the binoculars, I used a telescope! and "WOW" what close up's, it was like i was almost there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit