Are there any ex-missionaries here??

by fulano 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• fulano
    fulano
    That's tough Jeff, I know, they tried to rob me once. But that's life.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Right, David and his wife Christine. I think he was from Mexico or one of the latin-american countries. I believe he was a need greater and met his wife who was also. There was a group of Swedes that worked 6 mths, then went to the DR or Chile to pioneer for 6 mths that I knew for years. They came out for an international assembly a few years ago and we met for dinner.

I still wonder if you know the other couple. He's been there for maybe 30 years and he is from CA.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My aunt met her husband while attending the 3rd class of Gilead around 1949 or 50. They were assigned to the Dominican. They weren't there very long before then president Trujillo placed JWs under ban. All the missionaries were sent to Puerto Rico.

My aunt fell in love with the people and culture of PR. She had a strong extravert personality which appearently was well suited for missionary life. For all I know SHE was the one driving everyone nuts at the missionary home! (she was definitely kooky)

After about 6 years in the missionary work. My aunt had her first baby. She loved the country so much they stayed a couple more years until she became pregant with her second child. My aunt and uncle settled in Torrance Ca. and joined the Spanish cong. For a brief time while their 3 kids were growing up they went back to English hoping the kids would become better indoctrinated. I don't think the kids cared one way or the other.

Once the kids were out of HS back to Spanish they went. When her hubby died in the eighties she moved to northern Ca to be closer to her family yet, she never went back to an English cong. She was such an zealous enthusiastic loving person (polar opposite of my mother). At the end of her life she had started so many Bible studies that they formed a Spanish cong in her town which met in her home.

Such a waste of her life. Her oldest child now in late 50's has never been baptized. the youngest has been Dfed and in and out all her life. The middle child has sorta stayed in but never ever pioneered or been a MS. Private Reproof from time to time. Gotta hand it to my aunt though, she never ever said an unkind or unfavorable remark about her children and NEVER shunned them. :)

• fulano
    fulano
    Dagney, whats his first name? I know all the branch people but one with a swedish wife doesnt ring bells.
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    Henry.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

What a story 3rdgen. Such is life. At least your cousins had enough independence to go their own way. Woulda shoulda coulda...lol.

I remember the name Trujillo as a kid, now that you mention it. The big talk was the countries where the JW's were banned. Big stuff...made the coming GT very real at the time...the message about governments turning on JW's. You forget about that craziness... xoxox

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    3rdgen.....My aunt (Sophie Soviak) was in the 2nd class of Gilead and was in the D.R. also. She was known as the one of the Banana Bunch along with her partner Mary Annual, who then went on to marry Joel Adams. Sophie never married and was sent to Argentina where she was an active missionary until her death in 2007. I bet our Aunts served together.
  • fulano
    fulano
    Ok Henry 😀 He must have been assigned to the branch after I left. Laid back, red hair and marks on his face, married a need greater sister. Used to serve in Santiago. Nice guy.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Yes that's him. They got to live in the new Bethel home. Then they went to Azua. Or maybe it's vice versa, not sure now about the timeline anymore. Very very nice guy. We had very frank, honest convos about the issues with the WT and congregations. I was pretty done after the 1995 generation change. The wife used to be a good friend of mine before marrying. We had a lot of Swedes comes over to visit in the 80's.

I think of them whenever I hear about these reductions at the branches.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I just looked at his FB page and Steve Lett via video dedicated an expansion and remodel of the Bethel home in August 2015. Business as usual I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit