Are there any ex-missionaries here??

by fulano 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

You were sent to the DR and had to pay your own tickets to fly back home after

your wife couldn't serve as missionary anymore due to health problems?

That is an outrage!

With all the money they collect for the "world-wide work" to just leave you two to fend for yourselves after so many years devoted to their service....

I suppose they would never tell the Gilead Class about how they would abandon them in cases such as yours. I'm sincerely appalled....

I hope that your wife is better and you are too. hugs))

• Kaiser Stuhl
    Kaiser Stuhl

wow fulano,

that is terrible and i have seen that sort of thing too. I served deep in jungle areas, often alone (though we were supposed to be in pairs really ( Some of my partners went mad .. i mean stark raving cukoo after just a month or so, others lasted longer. For better or for worse, i never had a wife back then and mostly enjoyed the freedom and adventure of it. By some miracle i never caught a tropical disease or got eaten by crocodiles, jungle rats and a myriad of other creeping things. It was very hard hot lonely work, and i've seen many things people here would have trouble believing.

I'd rather not say exactly where i served.

time can heal most things fulano and i wish you and your good wife the positive state of mind to carry it along.

kaiser

• LDH
    LDH

WOW!!!! Two ex-missionary newbies! How..... unique!!!!!

Fulano, I lived in Puerto Rico for a while, right on the beach in Aguadilla. Many nights Dominicans washed up on the beach in front of the house I was renting. Many of them died making that bitch of a trip, just to get the chance to get to the US (OK, so PR is a territorial posession. big deal).

Only 70 miles, yet, a lifetime away.

Lisa

• fulano
    fulano

Thanks for your kind reactions!!!

• fulano
    fulano

Kaiser Stuhl:

Where did you serve??

I have a lot more stories about missionaries, I have been a "important" elder in that country, I even

participated on Judicial committee of CO's and other missionaries. Also served as the chairman

of many appeal-committees. On some of these I now feel ashamed.

• Dino
    Dino

Welcome fulano!

Could you tell us how Pete Paschal is doing?

Dino

• anglise
    anglise

The societies treatment of the missionaries leaves a lot to be desired.

I knew of 2 who served in one of the African countries. Something they had planned and dreamed about for many years having served as pioneers.

They both contracted malaria whilst there.

Those in the missionary home werent bothered about how ill they were, in fact one of them was quite unpleasant about it.

They had to get to the nearest city to find a doctor and medicine themselves.

They ended up coming home and leaving the missionary service. The brother was very ill indeed and still suffers from the after effects. They received no help from the society. It was left to their families to pick up the pieces. This couple where homeless and without any income. They had only lived in rented accomodation in the past and didnt have any money behind them to draw on. They found out that most of the missionaries had their own private incomes and property back home that they rented out. This couple had really kept their eye simple and it nearly killed them.

The society never did anything to help them either emotionally or materially.

Just where does the money go for the worldwide work?

Some of the things that we learnt from this episode helped us see just what the org is really like. Unfortunately this couple are still in and slaving, but no longer as missionaries.

• fulano
    fulano

@ Dino,

Hi , well when we left he and his wife were stil in circuit doing allright! As you know his wife is from the DR and

they inhereted a house which they were modernizing. Pete is a great person, I loved him!!

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi Fulano,and Welcome;

I often used to wonder if missionaries were made of different stuff than the rest of us-and assumed they never 'quit' due to their fabulously spititually minded personalities...a piece in a year book I was flicking through the other day( before I finally threw the rest of my literature out) stuck in my mind.A missionary sister and hubby had arrived at their assignment and after a while felt really home sick due to it being more difficult than they had imagined; and frustration over the language difficulties.. said they wanted to go home but reasoned;

'We could'nt have gone home if we'd wanted to; we had no transport ,and money and could not have afforded the airfare -so we stuck it out'

I wonder how many other 'faithfull' missionaries are wishing they had the means to go home;but are left stranded-

How awful for you and your wife-how is she now?everyone who has spoken to me about missionaries has said how they were 'cared for'so well.

Only now do I realise how little I really knew.

• fulano
    fulano

Hi Termite..

Well I can tell you that at least 50% of the DR missionaries are dreaming of leaving.

But You need:

A. A reason

B. &&&&

It's that simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit