Your View On Capital Punishment

by Dutchie 94 Replies latest jw friends

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Well,

The views expressed here are typical of the US population at large. The vast majority support it, but that doesn't make it right. However, this issue is one that no one is going to change their mind about based on forum dialogue, so it is really a moot point, much like abortion and other controversial topics.

Edited by - 144thousand_and_one on 18 June 2002 21:13:36

• JanH
    JanH

Here's an old article about how capital punishment is currently being administered in the US:

"Too late to stop the hangman?

Missouri is determined to execute Joseph Amrine for murder even though every prosecution witness and the jury foreman now say he's innocent and new witnesses point to another man. Why? A federal law says the evidence came in too late."

Read the whhole article on http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/02/20/amrine/index.html and weep.

- Jan

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

my feelings on this issue waver, according to whether we're talking about justice or reality. if we're talking about justice, about the penalty to be meted out to someone who *is* guilty of cold-blooded murder, or something comparable, then i agree that the guilty has voluntary given up his/her right to live. in cases of rape, i believe the guilty has given up his right to a penis; i believe the bastard should be castrated. those who say "oh, but that doesn't rehabilitate a rapist" don't seem to understand, just as those who say capital punishment doesn't affect the crime rate don't seem to understand: The dead murderer will not murder again, and the eunuch rapist will not use his penis to rape again. (tell the 2nd victim of a released murderer that capital punishment doesn't affect the crime rate... oops, you can't tell him that; it's too late, cuz you released the murderer)

if we're talking about *reality* then i have to side with naeblis. our "justice" system is screwed up. period. in "reality" i favor a nation-wide moratorium on executions until we can settle the grounds for capital punishment, including making *certainty* a pre-requisite. we need a major overhaul on our justice system RIGHT NOW, but that doesn't mean that capital punishment should be ruled out for all time.

SpiderMonkey

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

What about when people confess to the crime?

• Solace
    Solace

Im not sure that a human being has the right to take anothers life regardless of the circumstance. I agree that the prison system is very overpopulated and we are paying $$ to house these criminals etc. but I just cant agree with the whole death penalty thing. Thats just me though..

• Farkel
    Farkel

I think that everyone who believes and supports Capital Punishment should be shot.

Farkel

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The trial is still going on regarding the man that brutally tortured, raped and burned beyond recognition a little girl 11 years old named Daniel a few months back.

If and when he is found to be guilty beyond any doubt, he should defenately be put to death.

People who are cannables should be put to death.

Seriel killers should be put to death.

People who torture and kill people should be put to death.

I absolutely believe in capital punishment.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I just want to say why I am in agreement with CP. I am currently reading a book about cults and their origins. Something I am finding most disturbing is the satanic cults...the practices and the rituals. It isn't easy reading about what some humans do to other humans...usually babies or children. The mind of the person doing these things sickens me...and I find myself questioning whether some of these people can be rehabilitated. I don't know enough about human behaviour or the functions of the mind to answer fairly...I only know that if such a person were to infict such an act on any one of my loved ones...I would bitterly resent seeing my taxes pay for their food, shelter and other such privileges that only the 'living' can enjoy. They may not have freedom...but that isn't enough in my opinion.

Something I found interesting in this book is that some of these people recruit in prison, and although they themselves may not be released...some of their new recruits are. Charles Manson is one such example.

Just my thoughts.

Beck

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Beck........You are absolutely right.

Charles Manson will die in prison no doubt but since he has been in prison he has recruted many followers who believe in him to this day.

He should have been put to death a long time ago.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

It is natural to kill for any number of reasons including vengence, justice, mercy, selfdefense, insanity, profit , jealousy,hatred,example etc. but what is unnatural is to kill without knowing what death is. If death were understood how would that knowledge affect the killer , society and opinions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit