Your View On Capital Punishment

by Dutchie 94 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

It also puts murderers away absolutely so that they don't kill more innocent people.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

If it has been absolutely proven beyond any shadow of doubt that the person is guilty of a seriously heinous crime, such as rape resulting in death or murder, yes, I believe capital punishment should be used. But, it should meted out sparingly and only in extreme cases. And then, it should be a lot swifter than it now.

About 13 years ago, we had a case of a young man who would kidnap children, molest them and them murder them. I can't remember his name, but he was caught in the process of abducting another child. He had a long history of molestations and in and out of prison. Even he realized he was incurable and when he pled guilty, he requested the death penalty by hanging. He had to fight his own lawyers, Public Defenders, to have it carried out within three years.

Three children might have been able to grow to adulthood if the state had done something about this guy when they had him and not just let him go after a short sentence. And, if I remember correctly, he was on probabtion at the time of the murders, about two months apart.

• giantjason
    giantjason

I believe in it wholeheartedly. Even though our judicial system sucks there needs to be some real consequences. I think anyone convicted by dna evidence should die period. If no DNA then Life.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

OK, Dutchie, where do you stand on this issue?

• ISP
    ISP

Hey Jason, can you trust the authorities with DNA? If the FBI turned up at your door and asked for a DNA sample would you say sure...here ya go........only later to find that your DNA was found on a crime scene? If you gave a DNA sample I would suggest you give it to an independent body not the police who may think they can solve all their crimes easily at your expense.

ISP

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Yeah when some pervert abducts a child from their front garden and rapes her and kills her and throws her little body in a pond, and there is NO doubt that he did it, I would be prepared to throw the switch.

The world is over populated and there are very serious problems facing the planet - I just don't believe in wasting precious resources on people who are lost causes. What's the point in keeping them imprisoned for the term of their natural lives? What quality of life is that?

I also believe in abortion and uethenasia (if I could just spell it!!).

Marilyn

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

144, thanks for pulling me into this. I appreciate it.

But then I started the thread and I guess its only fair for me to weigh in.

I am 100% for capital punishment. I don't care what they say about it not being a detrement to crime or any of the other "bleeding heart" opinions as to why the death penalty should not be implemented. If a person commits a murder I would have no trouble at all voting for the death penalty. Of course, there are always extenuating circumstances and I am willing to take those into consideration. However, for a coldblooded murder, premeditated murder, I'd vote for death every time.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Good onya Dutchie! Glad to see you got back on the bicycle!!!

Marilyn

• Francois
    Francois

I used to be firmly in favor of capital punishment until the use of DNA-based evidence became widespread and we began to see an ever-growing number of people who had been incarcerated for various crimes being relased based on this new technology. Even people on death row were being released because the DNA evidence had proven them not guilty.

Contemplating the number of innocent people who have evidently been executed by the state makes me cringe.

Now, I'm firmly opposed to capital punishment...even with the use of DNA evidence. Anyone familiar with the plastic nature of digital information and the less than honorable nature of many human beings should, IMHO, should be similiarly opposed. Besides, what could be worse than the eternity of the rest of your life - with no hope of parole - in prison?

Francois

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Marilyn said:

The world is over populated and there are very serious problems facing the planet - I just don't believe in wasting precious resources on people who are lost causes. What's the point in keeping them imprisoned for the term of their natural lives?

I second that emotion!!

Beck

ps...I think proving their guilt is another issue all together!

Edited by - Beck_Melbourne on 18 June 2002 20:55:57

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit