From 1 to 10, how do you rate the value of the Internet in your awakening?

by Hidden-Window 76 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

I left around 1994 when Internet was still in infancy and had zero influence on my awakening.

• Heartofaboy
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

10. I would note have awoken without it.

• mgmelkat
    mgmelkat

9. Like many others I already had doubts and knew something was wrong. Internet confirmed it and put it into words for me.

• quest81
    quest81

Solid 10.

All the things I had had reservations about and found to be 'off' were unearthed for me from the internet. All the books I needed to learn history and insight I found or heard about online.

Those that figured out TTATT before the internet or without it, I salute you!

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

10 - all day long.

Started with low level stuff on youtube ended up listening to jwstruggle judicial meeting - then jwfacts, jwsurvey, and here (maybe not in that order).

I even read COC as a pdf online! The internet is lethal to the WT. It will never be the same. Truth wins. Real Truth.

-TE

• Terry
    Terry

SIMON: I can't imagine how anyone can remain blind to the WTS reality now the internet is available. I know they hammered the "internet is evil" message pretty hard but heck, it's the internet

Circa 1995, Jan S. Haugland entered a University in Norway and began posting criticism of the Watchtower interpretation of

"Generation" teaching as it related to the 1914 DATE and generation. He was DF-d for this, and months later--BEHOLD!--the Watchtower changed their interpretation!

(Note: Even the masthead of the Awake! changed with this new teaching. Until 1995, it said: "This magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 pass away.")

Haugland continued to post criticism of the Blood policy, etc.

Jan's computer account was summarily closed down!

Two of the directors at the University were JW's!

Jan roused the Internet community in a protest of CENSORSHIP.

Apparently it proved effective. Shortly afterward, the Watchtower Society forced the shutdown of even the Pro-JW groups and

cautioned against any JW's using the Internet!!

This was the beginning of the battle which the WTS has arguably lost.

The JW.ORG is a counter-offensive, to be sure. But, Jan S. Haugland can be very proud of himself, indeed.

P.S. He once was a regular poster on the original version of Simon's discussion group here!

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS:

http://www.skeptictank.org/gs/sci475.htm

• Dagney
    Dagney

When I left in 2001, the internet had nothing to do with my moment of clarity at a Sunday WT study, after which I decided I didn't belong and never went back. So it was a 0 for me.

However, after leaving, I stumbled around the internet and read so many stories of people that felt just like I did which reaffirmed my decision was the right one for me.

A newly exited friend of mine did their investigation on the internet, and as was mentioned earlier, got an online copy of COC. I believe what they found on the internet confirmed years of doubt. So I think in this case it would be a 10.

I believe there has to be at least a question, or a niggle of something is wrong in order to even dare research on the internet.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My personal awakening happened prior to the inter-net back in 1980.

I was born in but could see the indulgent corruption of the organization without all the available information that

appears on the Net. today.

I do think the Net is quite advantageous from one wanting information about the organization past and present.

• tidalblitz
    tidalblitz

I had no inkling of anything wrong with the WTS. I believed my dad when he said the brouhaha over 1975 was just the brothers and sisters going ahead of the org. I was full on lock step with the 1995 generation teaching change. I was just apathetic because the meetings were boring and I hated field service. Then I started trying to get KMs online, which brought me to this site. I knew I was getting the KMs from an apostate site but I didn't care. One day, I actually started reading some posts. Then read more stuff on other sites. Eye opening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit