From 1 to 10, how do you rate the value of the Internet in your awakening?

by Hidden-Window 76 Replies latest jw friends

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Definitely a 10. I was in the middle of having a 'Bible' study when I found this site. I started asking questions that the study conductor couldn't or wouldn't answer. The next week he didn't show up at our regular time. Later he came by unannounced with the CO and I just said I was no longer interested. Never heard from them again.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Zero.

The internet didn't exist when we left. Did all our research at the library.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Grade of 10 in terms of being able to access information about TTATT for close to 2 years already. Other than this site, I like Anointedjw.org and The Bereoan Pickets. Awakening is a process. It's very challenging with all the ups and downs. Eventually you would decide for yourself how far you will go - or go away from the teachings of the Society.

• cofty
    cofty

1. I was out before I used the internet.

• kairos
    kairos

I knew I needed to hit the road before I searched the internet.
    The research was like slamming the door behind me.

---

So, a 10.

Any previous times I've doubted my decision to exit, the internet tunes me back up in about 5 minutes.

• talesin
    talesin

Zero. Like JeffT, I left before the internet was in existence. I had my own 'awakening', and went to the library for my research. James Penton's book was the only thing we had back then, along with other 'cult researchers'. A big shout-out to Dr. Penton - thank you, sir!

xx

tal

• Giordano
    Giordano

I read Eric Hoffer's book The True Believer back in 1960. He never mentioned the WTBTS probably didn't even know they existed. But he was right on and that helped peel the illusion of the WT.

"An active mass movement rejects the present and centers
    it's interest on the future. It is from this attitude that it derives it's
    strength, for it can proceed recklessly with the present- with the health,
    wealth and lives of it's followers. But it must act as if it has already read
    the book of the future to the last word. Its doctrine is proclaimed as a key to
    that book."

"All active mass movements strive, therefore, to interpose a fact-proof screen
    between the faithful and the realities of the world. They do this by claiming
    that the ultimate and absolute truth is already embodied in their doctrine and
    that there is no truth or certitude outside it. The facts on which the true
    believer bases his conclusions must not be derived from his experience or
    observation but from holy writ." (p. 79)

While I went on to pioneer 'where the need was great' for a couple of years I broadened my personal reading and at the ripe old age of 23 and with wife in hand we forever walked away from the WTBTS and the JW's.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

10 absolutely. But I also believe there has to be an external factor that has to lead you to it. For instance I wasn't happy with the religion which in turn caused me to doubt. It wasn't until I got on the internet that the house of cards really began to fall. It just saddens me that it took me just under 40 years to realise it.

• bigmac
    bigmac

none--i resigned 0ver 40 years ago. i didnt do any research. i knew i didnt believe in god and therefore had no further need of a crazy cult.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I want to read " True Believer "!!! I said 9, but there were other factors. I was waking up long before I had access to the Internet. The 1995 "generation" teaching was a wake-up moment.

The internet made information easily available. I didnt have to collect WT tomes from suspicious JWS.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit