A young girl shouts down a Street preacher

by fulltimestudent 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Viviane
    Viviane

Well, it looks like a hoax. Who was filming it and why? If that were real they'd have probably started filming after they noticed the rude kid.

Agreed, it does look staged. But, for the sake of argument, I am treating it as real, so....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Viv - I'd like to see the same with an apathy trolley crew

• Viviane
    Viviane

Viv - I'd like to see the same with an apathy trolley crew

If you mean the JW trolleys, I've only seen one or two (I don't live in a large urban area, just near one) and they seemed to be doing everything they could to NOT talk to people.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Viv - they seemed to be doing everything they could to NOT talk to people.

I agree. My word for it is lugubrious.

I once told a street preacher (here in the UK), that invited me to whatever church it was, that I was an atheist. He looked at me deer in the headlights as if I was joking. There was silence as I walked away.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

It's not about defending the little girl's right to free speech. It doesn't matter if the street preacher was deserving of respect or not. I'm thinking about how I raised my child. If someone on the street was swearing or behaving in a vulgar manner would I want my child to stand there and show him the finger and tell him to fuck off? No. I have certain standards of behaviour and speech I want my child to aspire to, regardless of what random strangers on the street are doing. Why would I want my child to stoop to his level by engaging him on that level?

Now if the child was really so bothered by the behaviour she felt the need to confront it, she could stand a few feet away and give a rousing, reasoned, intelligent rebuttal of his beliefs to passersby. Standing in front of him, screaming "shut up" angrily just makes her look like a rude brat having a tantrum.

She was so obviously put up to this by adults. It reminds me of people who make their kids carry signs in political protests that the child can have no understanding of. Or of JW's making their kids go door to door witnessing or standing on the street with the mags. Same scenario, just different beliefs.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

cognizant dissident You make some good points; my feelings too.

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore

I agree with you too, cognizant dissident. Perfectly put.

• erbie
    erbie

She's certainly not going to grow into a lady.

One day she'll be shouting like that at her husband and telling him to 'shut up'.

In fact, I'd bet a years wages that she speaks like that to her father already.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Maybe some network should sign this kid and her family up for a new reality show.

When Children attack.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So, the issue is that it's a child and a female speaking this way. Interesting.

What can I say except that the that you have your own subjective views of how females and children should submit, be seen and not heard, not stand up to man, etc. Unfortunately for people that have that attitude, the world is changing and those people now have a voice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit