A young girl shouts down a Street preacher

by fulltimestudent 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

problemaddict2 - "...I think if it was my little girl I would probably teach her not to stoop to the level of those that must preserve ego and self without anything other than emotional need, but simply ignoring him..."

I was taught that for the longest time, too (and I more-or-less agreed with the sentiment), but it seemed to never really work out in the "real world"; the idealogues just kept mouthing off instead of giving up.

It wasn't until I learned a thing or two about the conservative/ authoritarian mindset that I realized the majority of them hold the view (consciously or otherwise) that silence equals consent...

...i.e., if you don't actively call assholes out on their bullshit, they interpret that as passive but tacit approval or agreement with said bullshit, which they further interpret as license to aspire to even higher and smellier degrees of bullshittery.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

BTW...

...with regards to the preacher in the OP, I think a pretty strong argument could be made that the real hard-core evangelical "Jesus Freaks" like this guy aren't really trying to convert people.

They're actually trying to appear martyred and/or alienate nonbelivers even further (via obnoxiousness) so that they can have their Saved-ness all to themselves.

Just my opnion.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Thought I would re-visit this post to see where it was going. Kind of surprised that so many think this obnoxious little brat is funny!

I disagree with you, vidiot, that he is doing it not for others, but simply to save himself. When I was a witness, I truly thought I needed to get as many people into the "truth" (just puked in my mouth a little, sorry!) as I could. Just used different tactics. Look at the date on the video. Right before halloween in Salem, MA? Probably seemed like the perfect opportunity to this poor, over zealous guy! If you look, you'll see everyone is ignoring him, but look back when the little brat starts with her mouth. I'd be willing to bet, again, that she's the mean girl/bully in her class. And her parents probably think that's funny too! I've watched these kinds of kids in the schools, and everyone just blames the ones they're mis-treating, as some are doing here. "Well, Little Miss Disrespectful said so & so was actually bothering her, and her friends, who don't want to be her next victim, said that was correct".

He was not in anyones face or pointing/yelling at anyone. Her asshole parents could have kept moving and had fun doing something else.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

And in case you missed it, she also resorts to name calling. She called him a pie hole. For those that think that's ok, what would you think if he had called her an obnoxious brat?

• mana11
    mana11

I think she was put up to it, and would not have had the interest to do so otherwise.

A Child Puppet in others hands nothing else...

• Viviane
    Viviane

Kind of surprised that so many think this obnoxious little brat is funny!

He got what he was giving. It IS funny.

I'd be willing to bet, again, that she's the mean girl/bully in her class.

Just making stuff up, now?

Miss Disrespectful said so & so was actually bothering her, and her friends, who don't want to be her next victim, said that was correct".

So he can yell, with a loudspeaker, at random people that they are going to die, but she can't specifically say less douchey, threatening and judgmental things specifically to him?

Not how it works.

He was not in anyones face or pointing/yelling at anyone.

That's exactly what he was doing.

Her asshole parents could have kept moving and had fun doing something else.

He could have not been in the street yelling at people that God was going to kill them.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

All sorts of wierdos and fruitcakes hang around towns making a noise. Central london is full of clowns, acropbats, buskers and preachers. Hyde Park corner is pretty interesting too. I've seen the same in New York and all over Europe.

Those that want to watch or listen to their noise stop and toss coins into a hat. Those that aren't walk on by. To stop in front of any street entertainer and repeatedly tell them to shut up is rude.

For a little girl to be encouraged to behave like this is plain sad. The parents should teach her to stay away from strange men, not confront them. They must have been confident he was a nice enough guy to ignor her. He is seriously deluded in his beliefs but he handled it well; dare I say in a Christian way.

Just my take it, but then I live in the UK. Perhaps children like that are par for the course in the USA. Feel free to tell me to shut up - you must be over 18 to do so.

• Viviane
    Viviane

To stop in front of any street entertainer and repeatedly tell them to shut up is rude.

He is not a street entertainer. He is preaching death to those who disagree with him.

For a little girl to be encouraged to behave like this is plain sad.

What does being little or a girl have to do with talking back to someone telling you God is going to kill you? Why is it sad for her to stand up to someone preaching death to random people? Why can HE stand there and shout horrible things to strangers but SHE is rude, a brat, etc., for daring to talk back to HIM? Why are there two standards here?

The parents should teach her to stay away from strange men, not confront them.

Why? Why men and why strange? Most harm, abuse and death of children caused by adult are by people they know. Better advice would be to stay away from men they know.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, it looks like a hoax. Who was filming it and why? If that were real they'd have probably started filming after they noticed the rude kid.

I call this one a candid camera moment.

• Simon
    Simon

Would it be acceptable if the preacher was suggesting the death of some specific ethnic group? Or another religious group?

Oh wait, they were - anyone that didn't share their faith!

Does it make it OK if you include enough people in your claim of impending judgement for their sins? Does he really deserve any consideration or respect?

Whether the girls behaviour was staged or really what you want to see a child pushed to do is a different matter but I'd much rather see a child confronting the idiocy of religion than preaching it.

It would be better if the adult stepped out from behind the camera and did it but then would anyone have seen it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit