A question for my friends in the USA about cowboys.

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest social current

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Yes, there are cowboys in the US. Everything west of the grand Mississippi River in the early 1800's was unchartered and only the adventurous would dare leave the relative security of the colonies and those "territories" that, although not States, were up-and-coming with settlements and industry. So, the adventurous and those who had embraced the ideals of Manifest Destiny would cross the river in search of fortune, or at least a little plot of ground that they could call their own.

With little in the way of protections, the "settler" was faced with either retaliation from Indians whose land they were encroaching on, meaning "robbing the resources" that belonged to the Indian nation, or bands of brigands whos capitalized on the lack of protection and nominal numbers of any encampment.

Some of these encampments grew into towns, some of these settlers founded huge businesses of cattle and other livestock to provide food and raw material like wool and leather to the ever-growing United States. Those who had the affinity for vast open ranges and the wear-with-all to confront the open country became the cowboys of legend. They were far from the cowboys you would see on TV though. They were a rough a tumble bunch, and although some became very good with a gun, typically the Colt revolver, very few ever gained notariety for being gunslingers. Most were simply workers that lived and died on the range.

Today, there are still those revered men and women who work the range, ride their horses, and wield a rifle along with their napsack tied to the saddle. The rifle is probably not an old Winchester, more likely a Reimngton .30-06 with a scope capable of shooting a wolf or coyote at a few hundred yards. Little issues exist now between cowboys and Indians, most Indians have had their lands stolen by the Manifest Destiny playbook and have been confined to tribal lands called Reservations, which are little more than a concession given by the US for having pillaged their nation.

There are some good history books replete with accurate depictions of cowboys and Indians.....

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There was a very good film/documentary about American Cowboys several years ago that you definitely should see.

It is called Brokeback Mountain. I'm sure you can download it. It it well worth your time to see and get an inside prospective on American Cowboys.

Rub a Dub

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

@ Rub-a-Dub

too funny

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

jgnat - There's the Western, a Hollywood genre with its own conventions and mythos.

Then there's real cowboys, who are still around. Come out and stay at a dude ranch and find out all about it.

Mythos. That's the word. One day I might make it across the pond.

20yrfader - i recommend you take a trip to arizona,california

My daughter has been to both. One day.....one day the Punk himself might visit.

Giordano - Cowboy history is one thing. Modern Cowboy culture is something else all together.

Right on the money. Just what I was thinking might be the case.

Phizzy - "A History of the Indians of the United States" by Angie Debo

Sounds eeeeenteresting.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Rub a Dub - LOL

Punko - I recommend the novel and movie, Monte Walsh. It is set during the period when the traditional cowboy profession was in decline. The main title character and his buddy are both typical working cowboys who have to make changes.

It is historically accurate as to the life of real cowboys in that time.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

SoP - Most interesting.

Rubber - As real as Country and West Indian.

Gregor - the novel and movie, Monte Walsh.

Movie please!....or as we say in my neck of the woods 'film'. I shall look out for it. Thanks.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

One of the VERY BEST cowboy 'movies' was the mini-series LONESOME DOVE, with Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duval, Robert Ulrich, Diane Lane, Angelica Huston among a few. It is probably the most accurate of the cowboys as entertainment genre. It included the realities and struggles that the men and women of the time had to deal with from nature to man.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

PTN - Another one to look out for. Ithankee.

• jgnat
  • jgnat
    jgnat

A gentle poke at the Western genre:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1376195/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit