A question for my friends in the USA about cowboys.

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest social current

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As a kid growing up in the UK we used to play 'Cowboys and Indians' and watch High Chaparal and Bonanza along with other cowboy films. Later, in the 70's Kung Fu would be shown with Caine going through the 'old west'. We even had a chocolate bar that was marketed with a 'cowboy' theme...Milky bar.

As far as I know the 'wild west' as shown on TVdidn't actually exist.

Are there people that believe it did?

Is that why they dress up as a classic movie cowboys and cowgirls?

Is it a culture all it's own that has evolved from the TV/Film (oh, sorry...er...movie), depiction?

What is the cowboy thing?

• hoser
    hoser

There are still cowboys out west. But some of them are Indians.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

And why did you elect a retarded cowboy to the Whitehouse ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hoser - There are still cowboys out west. But some of them are Indians.

Sounds like they are following the old traditions......or are they....I'm confused

Phizzy - And why did you elect a retarded cowboy to the Whitehouse ?

Probably for the same reason we got lumbered with Thatcher...?

• Simon
    Simon

The cowboy era as depicted in movies didn't last as long as the movie period did because the trains and town arrived shortly after but it wasn't all fictitious.

If you go out to smaller towns outside of 'cowtown' Calgary you see people wearing cowboy hats (but now driving trucks). It's a little like being on a movie set sometimes. The general population only dresses up like that at Stampede time.

The big difference between north America and the UK is that over there 'cowboy' is a negative / insult usually meaning something not done well or unregulated (e.g. cowboy builders).

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Punkofnice the real cowboys was those who herded cows across the western county to meat markets of their time. It was very hard work, dirty and dangerous. They lived outdoors for long periods of time. There guns was their protection from snakes, wildlife and bad poeple. The shot gun and the six shooter was their weapon of choice. Those who could afford it may had a repeating rifle. Interesting point there was many black men who was cowboys that worked side by side with white men. This was unusual for this time period. Now the cow towns or old western towns had establishments that was set up to get the cowboy to spend their hard earned money. So houses of prostitutions and bars was very popular. By the time the cowboy left for another cow drive they was broke. Most of those old cowboys movies always like to show a good guy vs the bad guy that was true to a point. Alot of the Good Guys of that time would be consider murderers today but since alot of those towns was not part of the US yet law sometimes was according to the towns founding fathers or the sheriff. It was a very hard life for many but many moved there for a new beginning and a chance to own land and make something of themselves. I sure many others know more than I do but this is my take on it. For the native americans their was a common thinking of that time to make them like the white men. My thinking of this country concerning them was "This country was formed on 3 things. (1) Genocide of the native americans, (2) Slavery and (3) Drugs aka tobacco." Hard facts but true. Take Care. Still Totally ADD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Simon - The big difference between north America and the UK is that over there 'cowboy' is a negative / insult usually meaning something not done well or unregulated (e.g. cowboy builders).

This is true to a degree. Mind you the Brits I know don't see 'cowboys' in the negative as such. I would imagine 'cowboy builder' is an example of 'loaded language' somehow. TBH, I never even noticed it myself. As far as I know the term cowboy builder is a reference to wearing denim and big boots.

I have heard that the cowboy dress was totally different to the way the 'fans' dress.

My question is really about the authenticity of the difference between the 'cowboys' now (the people that dress as cowboys for whatever reason), the cowboys of history and if history is being changed by the culture now?

I am not sure if I'm making sense here.

If you go out to smaller towns outside of 'cowtown' Calgary you see people wearing cowboy hats (but now driving trucks).

Sort of where I'm coming from. I wasn't aware there were cowboys in Canada.

I have much to learn and it's interesting stuff.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I think cowboys still exist in many forms.

If you go out in the country, farmers are still like cowboys.

They wear cowboy hats, carry guns and herd animals.

In the cities red necks/ hillbillies, are all over they wear cowboy hats and clothes and boots

and listen to country music.

A lot of people ride horses, cowboy hats and boots some places they even wear and carry guns.

Country, hillbilly music is the new rock and roll, since rock and God have died.

One out of every 4 cars in Florida has a gun in it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

S T ADD - Thanks. That's very interesting.

Does this mean that the Clint Eastwood 'Manko' character is more authentic than the John Wayne type bloke?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

James Brown -

In the cities red necks/ hillbillies, are all over they wear cowboy hats and clothes and boots

and listen to country music.

Are they wearing Hollywood attire as opposed to authentic historic stuff? (If you follow me?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit