A question for my friends in the USA about cowboys.

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest social current

• piztjw
    piztjw

@FHN

I did. Thanks! Sounds like we might have seen some of the same sights over the years.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Terry and Humbled, thank you both for the lovely posts. Seems a few more books could be written, yes?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have seen the Alamo and the quote from Davy Crocket "You may all go to hell. I shall go to Texas".

The Alamo is a tiny building and it was part of the mission system here in Texas. In San Antonio there are several within a few miles of each other. We have hispanic cowboys now and supposedly the difference between a real cowboy and a fake is how shiny new his boots/truck is. There are still cowboys and Indians and ofttimes(in Texas, anyway) they are the same guys.

Being a cowboy is a JOB and there are still cows, still cowboys all over the world. The basic conflict in the 1800's was won by whites as they control most of the land now. The conflict was about land then (and where I am from, fishing rights, now) but it usually IS about land-everywhere in the world, isn't it? Just different native populations-results vary!

• poppers
    poppers

FlyingHighNow - thanks so much for the song and lyrics. Wow! I had never heard it before.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Punk i grew up in U.K.

Now lets take one show " The Virginian" ( not one pf my favourites)

List of guest stars :

Harrison Ford

Robert Redford

Bruce Dern

Charles Bronson

Betty Davied

David Carradine

Pete Duel

Ben Murphy

William Shatner

De Forest Kelly

Spock...( forget his real name)

The list is endless.

Quest stars who died young and would have been stars.

Brandon De' Wilde ( the boy in shane, Star of Hud with Paul Newman)

Tom Pitman ( he would have been huge)

the list goes on.

As for chatactor actors that were never stats that list is the most impressive, and is endless.

Now the same is true with Rawhide ( The main star being clint Eatwood) . This was authentic in that it was based on a cattle drive.Or take Gunsmoke, it starred a prostitute, and the charactors of Chester and Festis were the most wonderful charactors that make life in an era humun.

But most importantly, T.V wessterns had great scripts, brilliant acting, beautiful music and were great entertsinment. Star treck was a western set in space which allowed the stars to die and come back to life) Wete they authentic, to the real west? I think the real " wild west" has been exaggerated with out the use of T,V.

A friend of mine, left the U.K couldn,t get a job, but wrote a book on the virginian. This was a teal accomplishment, he had to contact Frank Price the former producet of the show, and ex head of universal. Frank in his seventies contributed greatly to the book, and got Paul in tpuch with all the former cast. See there are nice people in the world.

Good luck with your book. How is it going?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

nh&h - Thanks. Yes, I remember those shows though not very well.

My book is written and will be proof read soon.

I've had a lot on my plate lately that has really knocked the stuffing out of me and taken away my desire to do anything creative. This has all been to do with mental health issues and my adult kids. Shoot me now!

• prologos
    prologos

and how about Grey Owl, aka Archie Belaney? Tom Mix? Karl May? Annie Oakley?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Prologos...your post my heart rejoice. Grey Owl i think this is the same wonderful " Indian" who was never an Indian at all, but grew up in a seaside town in England? ( i have a D.V.D on it. I think it's the same " Indian".

Tom Mix. I read a great book " Tom Mix died for my sins".A great read if still available on Amazon, buy it.( fiction based on facts)

The author wrote the filmscript to " the last detail" with Jack Nicholson and one of the Keach brothers.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Punk you seem the most level headed poster on this board. I hope things get better. Mike.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This has all been to do with mental health issues and my adult kids. Shoot me now!

So sorry to hear this, Punk.I hope this is going to pass soon for you and your kids.

I can relate. I only have two kids and they are both adults who live with mental illness. Maybe the grandchildren will fair better. This is such a tought world right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit