A question for my friends in the USA about cowboys.

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest social current

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I the UK if you dress up as a cowboy, everybody will think you are a total queen.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Real cowboys. Not the homosexual (nttawwt) looking pics of shirtless hunks in cowboy hats on 'cowboy' google images.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The song Deadwood that I posted on page four mentions young Mickey Free losing an eye to a buck deer in the Tongue River Valley.

Here is some information about Mickey Free:

From Findagrave.com

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17377013

Birth: 1847
    Sonora, Mexico
    Death: Dec., 1915
    Navajo County
    Arizona, USA

Apache Army Scout. At 12 years old Free was abducted from his stepfather's (John Ward) Arizona ranch by whom many believe were members of the Pinal Apache Band. Free's abduction led to a deadly encounter between the Chiricahua Chief Cochise and Army Lieutenant George Bascom, which ignited a 20 year war between the U.S. and Chiricahuas. Free's birth name was Felix Martinez and for many years he was thought to be either dead or beyond rescue. Approximately 20 years after his abduction Free's brother, Santiago Ward, heard that his brother was living on the San Carlos Reservation. When Santiago visited the reservation, he discovered his brother had been fully integrated into the Apaches and was using the name of Mickey Free. Though Free had no Apache lineage, he was mistakenly thought by many to be at least half Apache. On December 2, 1872, Free enlisted as an Apache scout at Ft. Verde AZ. Though the well known chief of scouts, Al Sieber, distrusted Free's honesty, he did respect his abilities as a scout. Free, who could speak English, Apache & Spanish, was a valuable asset in the pursuit of hostile Apaches, including Geronimo. Free's reputation for killing those he pursued made him a feared adversary. In addition to being a scout for the Army, Free was also a member of the reservation police and a spy. Free ended his scouting career with the rank of sergeant. In his later years Free settled with the White Mountain Apaches and raised a family. Free died of old age near Whiteriver. He was buried near where his wickiup once stood. Free's descendents still reside on reservation.

Non-Find a Grave Member, [email protected] submitted the following:

"It was the Aravaipa,Pinal, White Mountain Apaches and a Mexican man who was chief of the Aravaipa Apache people, who took part in the kidnapping of Mickey Free when he was a young man, taking him back to live with my ancestors he learn the Apache culture and the Apache language, before he ended up on the Fort Apache area."
    Burial:
    Unknown

Record added: Jan 10, 2007
    Find A Grave Memorial# 17377013
    Sgt Mickey Free
    Added by: David Flores
    Sgt Mickey Free
    Added by: David Flores
    Sgt Mickey Free
    Added by: Randy
  • ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

I once did a 2 day business trip to Calgary, Alberta, Canada (still in America but not the USA).

About 15 years ago, my first and only time there.

My flight out left early so had to get an early breakfast.

Went down for breakfast and the room at the downtown Calgary Ramada Inn which easily held over 100 had only 2 tables with people eating breakfast.

A cowboy came in and sat at the table beside me.

He dropped his saddle and some other gear on the chair opposite him.

He wasn't very friendly however, we did have a short conversation.

Yes, he had rode into downtown Calgary on his horse and was leaving to go back to the ranch that morning.

If you are wondering where he might have parked his horse for the night then check the link:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?biw=1180&bih=682&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.77880786,d.aWw&wrapid=tljp141402453965510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=ca&q=Downtown+Calgary+Stables&hq=Stables&hnear=0x537170039f843fd5:0x266d3bb1b652b63a,Calgary,+AB&sa=X&ei=Wk1IVJb8AZalyATImIG4Cg&ved=0CJoBELYD&iwloc=cids:1604842960157923601&output=classic&dg=brw

abe

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I thought Mickey Free was in Shalomar.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Gregor, The pic you posted looks very much like my family photos. Real cowboys wear wide brim hats that don't curl up much . They need as much shade as possible. The clothes are rugged and a little little loose so they breathe and don't chafe. At the end of the day they get sweaty and dirty and smell like their horse.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yes, punkofnice, the cowboy is 'real' over here in Canada and the US.

Cowgirls, too. I know real cowgirls - they dress just like the cowboys and they ride range on horses that they raise and break themselves. They rope cows, clean barns, handle horses, and, in their spare time, they barrel race. That is, when they are not having babies and being mamas. And they start young - I have seen little wee girls up on huge horses, putting them through their paces - all dressed up in their cowgirl gear.

Being a cowboy or cowgirl is truly a real way of life for some people where I come from. And for lots, it is more than just being a rodeo rider or chuckwagon driver.

Check out Reba McIntire's facebook page. Her father, who recently passed away, was a cowboy.

https://www.facebook.com/Reba/photos/a.118700645796.133121.14969940796/10152806970310797/?type=1&theater

• jgnat
    jgnat

Trail rides up in Grande Cache. I worked with some of the Landrys.

http://www.ubarhorseback.com/proto.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit