A question for my friends in the USA about cowboys.

by punkofnice 87 Replies latest social current

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

If you like beef (or mutton), much of it is still raised and herded by "cowboys" the "ranch hands" who work for the land owner or "Rancher"( at least for the first year or so of it's life). Locally some of them still ride horses if the ranch is steep or has too many rocks for an ATV or Pick-up truck. We have a lot of ranches nearby.

During the 1840s to almost 1910 the local ranchers and Indians fought and everyone carried a gun. Bears, coyotes and Mt Lions still kill lambs, calves and even a horse now and then. Most ranchers keep a gun close by to this day. Modern Cattle rustlers still strike at night, but now they cut fences and use semi-trucks to load the beef.

The big modern problem is Mexican Cartels have well armed workers growing Marijuana on nearby Federal lands, Forests and remote ranch land and a "cowboy" or worker can accidently stumble across a "grow"....so people working in remote areas are carrying guns more frequently now than 20-80 years ago.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Punkofnice, would you like to travel back in time to 1888 Deadwood South Dakota? Listen to this song and get a taste of what it would have felt like on a lazy afternoon in a Deadwood saloon. This music and story are how it still feels in the small towns outwest.

You're going to smile ear to ear. I promise. Very atmospheric. It's called Deadwood and it is by Nanci Griffith. It was written by her former husband Eric Taylor. This was recorded in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ehstb-tI0

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Take a trip out west and you'll expect the calavry to come riding in or an Indian to shoot a flaming arrow from behind a rock. The first time I went to Ft. Davis, Texas in the Davis Mountains, it felt and looked just like a western movie or TV show. I recommend visiting Fort Davis, TX and Cimarron, NM.

http://pics2.city-data.com/city/maps4/frs5796.png

You drive across the desert on Hwy 17 and off in the distance you can see the Davis Mountains:

hwy 17, tx

Be sure to get a room here if you visit, at least for one of the nights. Its just like Miss Kitty's place in Gunsmoke. The rooms anyway. We loved our stay there: http://www.hotellimpia.com/

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5452/m1/1/med_res/

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles38915.jpg

There is a wonderful observatory out side of town in the mountains.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nZtq2jn4ROs/TXgZmIJDBxI/AAAAAAAAAFM/YlMf2E87x2k/s1600/Picture%2B028.jpg

Time lapse of the night sky from the observatory:

The stars at night, really are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.

This is the Indian Lodge, outside of town:

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cimarron, NM is a tiny town with a BIG history. There is a hotel there, now called the St. James, that still has bullet holes from gunfights. And the fighters, outlaws and lawmen were famous:

http://centerofthewest.org/2014/07/30/buffalo-bill-st-james-hotel-cimarron-new-mexico/

“it was a favored place for lawmen, outlaws, and everyone in between"

Then:

Modern times:

Here is one of the bullet holes, still in the ceiling of what was the saloon, but is now the dining room:

"Twenty-two bullet holes still reside in the saloon’s tin ceiling, attesting to the rowdiness of the place. A common question asked was: “Who was killed at Lambert’s(St. James) last night?”

Part of the lobby

There are fourteen rooms named for the outlaws, lawmen and celebrities that used them:

The Jesse James room

The Pancho Griogo room:

The Buffalo Bill Cody room:

Annie Oakley suite

It is said that Buffalo Bill Cody bought tricycles for the town children, so they could ride up and down the porch of the hotel. It is also said that he came up with his plans for his famed Wild West Show, while a guest at the St. James Hotel

Here is a nice page about both the St. James Hotel and the Taos Pueblo, where the Red Willow (Taos Pueblo's moder Indian population) people live to this day:

https://darlenefoster.wordpress.com/category/history/

Taos Pueblo with the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the background

• piztjw
    piztjw

Lincoln, New Mexico is another place to see.

Tombstone, Arizona

As a working cowboy I can say both these places are fairly authentic. BTW there is a great sign above the outdoor mens urinal that is full of cubed ice that melts and carries waste away, "Customers, the ice in this urinal is only occasionaly used to mix your drinks."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Piz, you will probably love that song I posted about Deadwood and the death of Crazy Horse.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I was 19 in late 1964. I applied for work in both Deadwood and Lead (pronounced 'Leed') gold mines, I was rejected because I wore glasses and at 6'1" and 140 lbs didn't fit the profile they were looking for! Deadwood is in a very narrow, steep canyon. The main street is at the bottom and all the streets on either side go up at an extreme angle. I visited the saloon where Wild Bill Hickok was shot down holding aces and eights.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I visited the saloon where Wild Bill Hickok was shot down holding aces and eights.

Gregor, that is cool. Wild Bill Hickok also stayed at the St. James Hotel I posted about. Thanks for the picture of Deadwood and your experiences there:

Deadwood

(By Eric Taylor)

Well, the good times scratched a laugh
    From the lungs of the young men
    In a Deadwood saloon, South Dakota afternoon
    And the old ones by the door
    With their heads on their chests,
    They told lies about whiskey on a womans breath

Yes, and some tell the story of young Mickey Free
    Who lost an eye to a buck deer in the Tongue River Valley
    Oh and some tell the story of California Joe
    Who sent word through the Black Hills
    There was a mountain of gold

[Chorus:]
    And the gold she lay cold in their pockets
    And the sun she sets down on the trees
    And they thank the Lord
    For the land that they live in
    Where the white man does as he pleases

Some flat-shoed fool from the East comes a-runnin'
    With some news that he'd read in some St. Joseph paper
    And it was "Drinks all around" cause the news he was tellin'
    Was the one they called Crazy
    Has been caught and been dealt with

And the Easterner he read the news from the paper
    And the old ones moved closer so's they could hear better
    "Well it says here that Crazy Horse
    Was killed while trying to escape,
    And that was some time last September,
    It don't give the exact date"

[Chorus]

Then the talk turned back to whiskey and women
    And cold nights on the plains, Lord
    And fightin' them indians
    And the Easterner he says he'll have one more
    'fore he goes
    He gives the paper to the Crow boy
    Who sweeps up the floor

[Chorus]

As he wants to, as he pleases

• fiddler
    fiddler

When I went to Montana a few years ago with a couple of exJW's I met online to meet up with another exJW I pretty much felt like I was in 'Cowbow land'. There was like a farm with 100's of acres of land with cattle grazing separating it from the next farm.... It was beautiful to see so much open country. Coming from the West Coast Montana seemed like going back to a different era.

Where I grew up, Arizona, old Tucson always had reenactments of the Wyatt Earp OK Corral thing. That did pretty much happen during a pretty violent old West time period. When people began expanding outwards from the East Coast to the West there was not a lot of law and order. It would have been a very hard time to live in I think.

The infringement upon native American tribal territories was filled with guns and blood. I would equate it with England's infringement upon the Welsh and Scots and Irish. Pagan Celts and pagan Indians.......same dif to the powers that were.

Cattle are moved today not by cattle drives but by big cattle trucks (lories)...not so glamorous but then, I don't think cattle drives were particularly glamorous. The Midwest is where the big cattle ranches are. For a funny take on American cattle drives you should listen to Garrison Keilors Prairy Home Companion. It's a radio show (yes! there are a few still in existence!!) On it there is a skit with two 'cowboys' and it's always quite funny to listen to. Maybe if you google Prairy Home Companion, cowboys http://youtu.be/K9c-7WLngIg?list=PLC9DA5CEFECE613B8

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Gordon Bennet guv'nah. I thought this would be a kushti little thread where I could post answers to you individually.

I'd like to say a massive thanks for all the info and family history. Most enlightening considering I was watching the Good the Bad and the Ugly last night on Channel 5.

I'm beginning to see how the 'cowboy' heritage has made it's mark on modern society.......even here in the UK.

The Milky bars are on me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit