Topics I’ve Been Pondering On

by JWINQUESTION 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

JWIN QUESTION: No, I didn't at all find your comments about gays offensive. My reply was simply to respond to the various points raised by responders concerning gay people. I appreciate your post and of course you are totally right in expressing your views. I would HOPE that people here would at least get to know a few gay people in person before generalizing about them. Of all the current problems in the world right now, it would seem that loving same-sex adults getting married is the least of our worries. Anyway, I did appreciate your post and I hope you find the answers to your various concerns. Best wishes.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I apologize if I was offensive at all in my post towards gays. I was being as tactful as I can be while getting my point across. Anybody else think I was too harsh on my post on gay people?

What, specifically, was your point? Gay sex doesn't produce children is therefore somehow wrong? Most sex doesn't produce children.

You don't swear. OK. Some people do. How is swearing or sex out of your approved relationships moral or not? How are you defining morality?

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION

@Viviane

Yeah reading back at my post. It is kind muffled with no real point. Just various topics going in my head.

I'm basing morality on the bible itself. I know that there are times where I do slip and curse. But it seems nowadays, people use it every sentence as a filler.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd like to see you take up dancing again. Anything that fills your heart with joy and meaning. There's precious few opportunities to do that in this world, so don't waste them.

You sound like an intelligent and sensitive young man. You will do well. Graduating at 26/27 is not too old at all. Take it from me, a fiftysomething grandma.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

Welcpme. I'm a active JW and still an MS. I guess Holy Spirit hasn't show the brothers that I'm a secret apostate. I would recommend reading jwfacts.com Crisis of a Conscience written by a former member of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" Ray Franz. Also a good site for current JWs who no longer believe the organization is Beroean Pickets. The person who runs the site was an elder until he resigned. He is still active as a JW but considers himself just a Christian. He thoroughly dismantles JW doctrine and runs a forum that you might feel safe in at this stage.

As for non JWs, I've secretly gone on dates with a few non JW women. "worldly people" are not as scary as the WT makes it seem. Could you believe that 2 of the 3 girls I went on dates with didn't even believe in kissing on the first date? Yet the watchtower, and the media, would have you believe that everyone is hooking up and having wild sex with strangers. One of the girls was religious and didn't even curse! I know witnesses who curse. None of them were virgins, but neither are many JW girls over the age of 21. At least half have been reproved, or had sex before they got baptized. I've had a pioneer sister send me naked pics, but 2 worldly dates tell me they don't send nude pics. You can find other people who hold themselves to the same code of conduct as you do in the world. You don't have to do certain things if you don't want to. The good thing is that no one is forcing you not to act like a compete jerk or moron once you break free mentally of JW control. You will be motivated on your own to be a good person. You may even find yourself caring more about people instead of considering the 999/1000 people who aren't JWS as evil and condemned. (And yes an upcoming WT states that only 1 of every 1000 people on earth has the "truth").

• jgnat
    jgnat

To really blow your mind, might I suggest "The Year of Living Biblically" by humourist A. J. Jacobs

• Viviane
    Viviane

I'm basing morality on the bible itself. I know that there are times where I do slip and curse. But it seems nowadays, people use it every sentence as a filler.

OK. Where does the Bible say not to swear? A curse in the Bible is not the same as swearing. Biblical morality allows slaves, rape, murder, multiple wives, killing and burning animal entrails because Jehovah likes the smell and forced abortion. What morality, specifically, do you like from the Bible?

What, specifically about gay sex is wrong? Clearly not all heterosexual sex produces children, so that can't be it.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Well done for bravely taking the first step towards the rest of your life. There's some REALLY good advice, logic, and reasoning up there. I can add nothing but to say that I've been where you are, I'm still an active witness, but I no longer believe it's the 'truth'.

ALLOW YOURSELF TIME.

Research.

Have a listen to 'dogma debate' podcast, you'll soon discover that not only have we been fed very selective information over the years (all 'wordly' people are wicked amoral drunkards that would steal a bible to hit a baby with) but that atheists, other Christians, Muslims, have community and morals JUST as good, if not better, than JW's.

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION

I will most def. do more research. I have for the past year but still many more things to find out.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The reason things practiced by Jehovah's Witnesses bother you is because God's spirit is making you aware of them.

As far as the morality taught by the Watchtower Society; it is skewed and distorted because no matter how hard anyone tries to live a morally upright life it is out of our reach because all of us are sinners.

If you try to go it alone you will fail miserably at maintaining moral purity.

The only way that you can have a measure of it is through the Holy Sprit, which the Watchtower lies and says is available in full measure to only 144,000.

I suggest that you read Romans (especially chapter 8) and Galatians in a real bible instead of the perverted New World Translation where you will find treasures from God which will lead you to the Holy Sprit.

He will then lead you into all truth and give you a peace you have never experienced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit