Biblical Prohecies That Came True?

by Viviane 250 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Try this one: When was the book of Daniel written? Most modern scholars prefer ca. 165 BCE or earlier. A few Daniel MSS were found amongst the DSS dated 200 BCE – 68 CE.

24 There are seventy weeks that have been determined upon your people and upon your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, and to finish off sin, and to make atonement for error, and to bring in righteousness for times indefinite, and to imprint a seal upon vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies.

25 And you should know and have the insight [that] from the going forth of [the] word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah [the] Leader, there will be seven weeks, also sixty-two weeks. She will return and be actually rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in the straits of the times.

26 And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. And the city and the holy place the people of a leader that is coming will bring to their ruin. And the end of it will be by the flood. And until [the] end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations.

27 And he must keep [the] covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. And upon the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, the very thing decided upon will go pouring out also upon the one lying desolate. ( Dan 9:24-27 NWT)

According to above prophecy, war would ravage the land and its people until the end. And this is exactly what happened. The Jews were in a state of war and rebellion against the Roman oppressors, until the Roman legions, under General Titus, surrounded Jerusalem. The end of the Jewish system came in 70 CE with the destruction of Jerusalem . Jesus confirmed this in the compound prophecies he made known during his sermon on the Mount of Olives (cf. Matt. 24 , Mark 13 , and Luke 21).

• Viviane
    Viviane

Try this one: When was the book of Daniel written? Most modern scholars prefer ca. 165 BCE or earlier. A few Daniel MSS were found amongst the DSS dated 200 BCE – 68 CE.

It fails the test of specificity. It has no names, dates or specific events described. The reading you suggest is the reader inserting events into the text rather than the text describing those events.

• sir82
    sir82

as a general point of support for the authenticity of Jesus. Josephus was alive, and saw him in action.

This is the first I've ever heard of this.

This thread is a hoot!

Can't wait for someone to mention 2 Peter chapter 3 & "the ridiculers with their ridicule".....

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

25 And you should know and have the insight [that] from the going forth of [the] word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah [the] Leader, there will be seven weeks, also sixty-two weeks. She will return and be actually rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in the straits of the times.

26 And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. And the city and the holy place the people of a leader that is coming will bring to their ruin. And the end of it will be by the flood. And until [the] end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations.

City under discussion: Jerusalem (and its temple). Time period: After seventy weeks of years. Destroyer: Titus and his Roman legions. That's quite specific.

• Moses Joe
    Moses Joe

The problem with Daniel's "prophecies" about the nations is they are so vague and poetic you could pick any century and make them work.

What part of this is vague?

Daniel 8:20, 21: The ram which you saw with the two horns represents the kings of Media and Persia. The shaggy goat represents the kingdom of Greece, and the large horn that is between his eyes is the first king.

Also:

I think he was saying that my reply had an air of arrogance.

Not exactly, I wouldn't say you were arrogant. But this entire subject is going to be people coming at something with what they think they know because somebody else they respect or choose to cite thinks they know it. The reality is it's all speculation and can therefore be wrong, none of it is certain - and none of it has to be because that was never the primary purpose or point of the Bible.

• Viviane
    Viviane

City under discussion: Jerusalem (and its temple). Time period: After seventy weeks of years. Destroyer: Titus and his Roman legions. That's quite specific.

It didn't say Rome, it gave a "prophetic number" that doesn't match historical timelines, the Messiah did not get cut off with nothing, the end wasn't by flood, there wasn't a war until the end, etc.

What part of this is vague?

Nothing. It's just a later addition written after the fact of the events.

The reality is it's all speculation and can therefore be wrong, none of it is certain - and none of it has to be because that was never the primary purpose or point of the Bible.

It's not all speculation. The "point" of the Bible is something you are free to start a thread on, it's off topic here.

• Moses Joe
    Moses Joe

It's absolutely not off topic here at all, there's literally no other reason to be discussing otherwise. You're focused on this tiny subject within a whole and missing the entire point. Trying to discredit the prophecies serves no other purpose than to discredit the bible, and therefore god, without which there is literally no point to life other than to live and to die. Without these two things there is no reason for people to not behave has ISIS does, there's no reason for people not to just rape and pillage all over because this is the only life they get, so why live by any standards? Why not TAKE what you want?

You take away the purpose of life and all we are are animals with no hope. That is the real discussion happening here.

• bohm
    bohm

Moses joe: you would be out raping and pillaging if the bible was not true? Interesting..

• Viviane
    Viviane

It's absolutely not off topic here at all, there's literally no other reason to be discussing otherwise.

No now you presume to know my mind, what my reasons are AND to preach to me? My, such arrogance wrapped in ignorance.

It's off topic.

You're focused on this tiny subject within a whole and missing the entire point.

I kept the topic narrow to avoid arrongant preachers.

Trying to discredit the prophecies serves no other purpose than to discredit the bible, and therefore god, without which there is literally no point to life other than to live and to die.

I am not discrediting anything. I asked specifically for prophecies that came true. You don't get to be arrogance, preachy, an utterly wrong know-it-all and then blame me when you can't stand and deliver. Please take your preaching somewhere else.

You take away the purpose of life and all we are are animals with no hope. That is the real discussion happening here.

That's not at all the discussion. Take your preaching somewhere else. If you know of any specific Biblical prophecies that required special knowledge and came true, please share. That's the discussion.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Moses joe: you would be out raping and pillaging if the bible was not true? Interesting..

Bohm, off topic :) (although it is incredibly ironic that without the Bible, there would be no ISIS)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit