Biblical Prohecies That Came True?

by Viviane 250 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All evidence points to a global flood as described in the Bible NOT happening.

Sorry.

I forgot to say it was sarcasm.

[Simon, maybe we could get an icon for sarcasm?]

Doc

• Viviane
    Viviane

Poe's law got me, DoC!

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

There are four basic metrics that a prophecy has to meet:

1.) You have to be able to verify it was made before the event happened.

(I can "say" I predicted 9/11. But unless I can show proof that I did so prior to the event there is no good reason to believe me. You can "say" Daniel prophesied the fall of Babylon but there's no good reason to think his words were written before Babylon fell.)

2.) You have to be able to verify the event actually did take place.

(This one should go without saying but you'd be surprised)

3.) It must be falsifiable and cannot be vauge or open to interpitation.

(Nostradomus anyone?)

4.) It must be a rare or extraordinary event and cannot be self fullfilling.

(Saying that I predict the sun will rise tommorrow or predicting that I'm going to eat at Round Table for lunch is not a prophecy)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The second coming, the Great tribulation, the KIngodm of God, The New Jerusalem, The reusrrection, the heaven and earth ALL fulfilled

ALL fulfilled?....On what Planet?!..

I don`t see Jesus..

Theres no Great tribulation,no Kingdom of God,no New Jerusalem..

No resurrection..

The only Walking Dead are JWs stuffing JW.ORG flyers in people doors..

Nobody predicted that!..LOL!!..

.......................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Viviane
    Viviane

There are four basic metrics that a prophecy has to meet:

1.) You have to be able to verify it was made before the event happened.

As I wrote earlier, I specifically excluded that one. For the purposes of this discussion, we are allowing that criteria as a given.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I thought about that, but it automatically disqualifies every prophecy I can think of. I didn't want to start out with a big giant "No".

Yep, that's the same conclusion that I came to. You could even adjust it to be a little more lenient:

"There is no strong evidence that the prophecy was initially recorded only after the event prophesied"

And it would still eliminate most, of the fullfilled prophecy in the bible that fits your other rules. When I was trying to convince myself, years ago, that the bible must have been inspired, I went through a list of as many fullfilled prophecies that I could find and looking at them all objectively, the only prophecies that I concluded where reasonable to consider as inspired where those found in the book of Daniel. Come to find out, the book of Daniel appears to be written well after the prophecies where fullfilled.

Another rule to consider is that the description of the fullfillment of the prophecy must be independantly verifiable, at least if you're trying to use bible prophecy as a way to prove that the bible is god's word, as I was. If you already accept the bible as inerrant, then that won't matter to you much, and there will probably be a few prophecies that you could consider fullfilled. For me, the prophecies about Jesus weren't reliable because the only evidence of their fullfillment was a book that obviously only had any legitimacy if they described their fullfillment.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Oh, you might also want to disqualify prophecies that where fullfilled by one person's actions, if that person had prior knowledge of the prophecy (Jesus, I'm lookin at you - riding into Jerusalem on that donkey...)

• sir82
    sir82

That's funny, the most ardent supporter of "prophecy" on this thread can't even name one.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Oh, you might also want to disqualify prophecies that where fullfilled by one person's actions, if that person had prior knowledge of the prophecy (Jesus, I'm lookin at you - riding into Jerusalem on that donkey...)

That's an excellent point. Also, "prophecies" like in Daniel, where the earlier versions of the text don't contain the very specific "prophecies" that the later copies do, copies that only exist post-prediction. That is a case of clear retro-fitting of text to match events and is this NOT a prophecy.

• Viviane
    Viviane

That's funny, the most ardent supporter of "prophecy" on this thread can't even name one.

I was hoping for more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit