Have you ever read the review of Steven Hassan's books on Cult news.com?

by Enzo 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Enzo
    Enzo

No jgnat, I have started this topic, and I am glad to know the opinions of you all about this subject. But I am not leaving the site.. I like to be here.. When I have time I will start another Topic, or give my comment on other topics.. About suggesting books: I read books in dutch, but there are a lot of books online: check this out, I am confident that you are intelligent to find the book you are looking for. or like in the film of Harry potter: The book will choose you.. LOL.. By the way. you are doing a great work..

arrivederci.. enzo..

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am looking for titles. Nothing in English, eh? I've been at this for over twelve years, you see. So I would be very interested in anything you have found that is similar or superior to what I have been recommending.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I alarmed about the worship of Steve Hassan on this site. I read his name so much I ordered his books. The work was light weight. He can't be the only person who specializes in cults. I did feel he was describing the Witness life. Maybe he wanted to be light weight. Steve Hassan and Bart Ehrman-the light weights. I did not finish the books. It may not be the quality of the books as much as the worship.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BOTR: I alarmed about the worship of Steve Hassan on this site.

Who here "worships" Steven Hassan?

His work just happens to be very relevant to our experience in the JW cult.

BOTR: He can't be the only person who specializes in cults. I did feel he was describing the Witness life.

He isn't, but there aren't many that do.

When I was going through a divorce, the psychologist that worked with my son and me didn't know a single psychologist or other mental health professional that had done research on high-control groups (cults), and he had had many JW patients.

Although Hassan's second book mentions JWs, the first one does not. He does describe a number of different cults and other high-control groups. Not all our religious in nature.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm just looking for good resources to pass on. I don't think my recommendation can be equated to "worship". I've been sincerely asking for alternative resources multiple times on this thread and all I get is *crickets*.

Now keep in mind, for this particular purpose, I am not looking for a scholarly work that is peer-reviewed. Simply a resource for those outside a cult who can have some sense of how to approach their loved-ones. I know from painful experience that the wrong approach can entrench the cultist, and the damage done can take years to overcome. I would like to spare others that kind of aggravation and pain.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jgnat, I did find this website:

Cult Awareness and Information Library

I only perused it briefly. It seems like it was put together by a diligent and concerned lay person. There is a lot of info sourced from Dr. Robert Jay Lifton and Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer.

The website has an interesting article on Exit Counseling. The second page has quite a few references.

• flipper
    flipper

ENZO- Opinions are like assholes- everybody has one. Seems to me that you are shitting out bricks for opinions. Just my opinion

• Beautiful Dreamer
    Beautiful Dreamer

Steve Hassan is updating his first book to include JW's.

• flipper
    flipper

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER- Steve Hassan already refers to Jehovah's Witnesses in his 2nd and 3rd book. I'm glad to hear he is updating his first book to incude JW's as well. Thanks for the information

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Steve Hassan is updating his first book to include JW's.

I hope not. What was so great about COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL was that it had nothing at all to do with Jehovah's Witnesses and yet it had everything to do with them. It could be read without violating a JW's conscience about reading apostate or negative materials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit