Have you ever read the review of Steven Hassan's books on Cult news.com?

by Enzo 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

??????????????????????

DD

• Londo111
    Londo111

I don’t believe Steven Hassan is infallible or the only right answer…I was done with that kind of thinking when I awakened. Sometimes there are no silver bullet answers, especially in reaching out to second and third generation cult members. However, I have found his description of what a cult is, the methods cults use, how indoctrination and undue influence work useful. And the more I hear about other cults, such as Scientology, the more I see uncanny resembles to the one I belong too. Although disparate in teachings, these groups have the same method of operation. Sometimes, the best way to awaken a cult member, is by relating how other high control groups behave.

Much of Steven Hassan’s work is not new, but based on the research of Dr. Robert J. Lifton and others. There is little reason to be so personality-centric, because the focus should be on the causes and effects and solutions to the problems that are faced by many hear. The bottom line is that many are either cut off from their loved ones or operate under that threat. What advice do you have for these folks?

About my ‘problem’ of accepting criticism: I’ve yet to receive real criticism from you, especially since you know nothing about me, so I think the jury is likely out on that.

• Enzo
    Enzo

Hey London 111 : an interesting comment on your side..

despite the fact that reading a book of a cult expert has opened the eyes of a lot of members of a Cult , when you go to a court, and are claiming Psychologic damage from a Cult, I can say to you that a court need to found strong evidences, to prove your claim.. that's the most difficult part to accomplish with.. Why? Because the law distinguishes between religious belifs which is absolutely protected, and Religiously motivated conduct which is not.

thus so far I know religious beliefs are protected by the First Ammendement.. free exercise of Religion, and beliefs. And therefore fighting beliefs is a battle you will win on internet (the challenge of John Cedars)' but I can guarantee not in a Court Case...

About psychological, and economic damage there can be accounted a certain accountabillity on Cults, and in certain Court cases they had to pay a financial damage to ex- Cult members.. And this is an aerea where courts are following recognized Court Cult Experts these days,, what is a good thing...

but to prove that a group uses destructive persuasion to diminish the psychic autonomy of their members, it's the difficult part to accomplish..

ciao Enzo

• Enzo
    Enzo

For a discussion or findings regarding psychological and social impact of Cult activity see generally: West-Singer, Cults, quacks, and Non professional psychotherapies, comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry/111(1970)

Ps: excuse me for my English, and for posting my topic on the wrong place, but it was my first time, and had to look better..

Greetings to you all, and thanks for sharing your opinions.. different views, and constructive criticism is a good exercise to train our critical thinking, very important in these day...

• TJ Curioso
  • TJ Curioso
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Mann comes across as a complete tool. It seems to me Hassans "success" has driven her to envy and she doesnt give a flying f@ck about cult victims either...

• KateWild
    KateWild

Interesting thread, Enzo I don't think you grasp what Hassan is trying to do. I found his book easy to read and very helpful.

I don't understand why you think he is not credible and why the BITE model is not useful.

I don't know why you have started this thread.

Kate xx

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

oubliette: where is the answer to my question: Is Steve Hassan a recognized Court Cult expert?

I'm guessing English is not your primary language. Either that or your not very intelligent.

I did address your question in this post. Did you read it? Or did you just not understand the significance of it? The United States Department of Justice recognizes Steven Hassan as "One of the world’s foremost experts on mind control" and as a "Licensed Mental Health Counselor.

You started this thread. The onus (burden of proof) is on YOU to prove the relevance of your claims.

What makes you think being a "recognized court expert" is necessary for someone to be qualified in any particular field? Provide proof. Put up or shut up.

And, by the way, you STILL have not answered my question (this is the third time I've asked it): Who is Dr. Cathleen Mann and why does she seem more interested in discrediting Steven Hassan than helping cult members?

I know you're new to this board, but your failure to answer questions raised by several different long-time posters makes you appear to be a troll or spammer.

• Enzo
    Enzo

Oubliette: I noted that you have to work on Emotional Intelligence,.. to attack people about their intelligence, and lack of language is not very clever.

But that's unfortunately the behaviour of some ex-Cult members: an arrogance, a Mr or Ms knows it all attitude..and in a very defensive modus...and try to shoot down every other opinion an other person can have.. if you will change your tone, and attitude I will give an answer to your question( but if you are reading my post to London111, you will find your answer) Reason? I refute to going in debate with a person who's only goal is to demonstrate their superiority, and not willing to make a rational analysis based on scientific evidence.. It's a waste of Time...

Kate: Thank you for your comment, and nice to meet you: you asked why I think the BITE Model is not credible?

of course there are good points in this model, but the fact that he in his last book has greatly expanded his BITE model,, and could be applied to a very array of groups brings an important question: Where are the facts, and psychological resarch, and the Scientific Studies to prove these theories? When reading his book, I have not found any references.. In other books Ive read facts and Scientific research and references are always being presented..

thus for me that has study psychology, Came to the conclusion that it is a philosophic construct, theories many borrowed from others, for some people it could be effective, but not grounded on facts or scientific evidence.. But that is my opinion Kate..

A good night from Europe.. ciao Enzo.' And sorry for my bad English..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit