A question for Athiests.

by new hope and happiness 101 Replies latest jw friends

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I am now an athiest myself, but i think being an athiest its a bit like having a faith. Some get very hooked on it and "preash" others (like me) simply get with with there lifes. I am sure that some athiests like to have discussions about the non existence of " God" in a similar way that "thisists" do about the existence of God.

Anyway as i said iam an Athiest - I cant help that its the way God made me!!

But seriously even an athiest can think " it should be no more surprising to be born twise than once" so why can't i still believe in an after life?

Anyway i guess it doesn't matter what you label yourself just as long as you are true to yourself? So why do some athiests want to convert?

As for myself i am enjoying reading about Buddisam and i like the fact i can ignor Karma and reincarnation and being a vegetarian and still be considerd a buddist. I mean we like to label eash other and ourselfs to much?

Sorry to much woffle...Any thoughts?

• designs
    designs

Make your mark in this life. Consciousness is being studied, after-life experiences are hoaxes. Plant your trees now, in a century some little kid will thank you...

• cofty
    cofty

So why do some athiests want to convert?

There is nothing to convert a theist to. Atheism isn't a thing - it's simply a rejection of a particular set of myths. Once somebody gives up faith in christian theism there are all sorts of options open to them. They could follow a different set of myths; we see lots of examples on this forum of people who describe themselves as non-christians but who believe all sorts of things.

Personally, my objective is not to "convert anybody to atheism". It is to encourage ex-JWs to adopt an evidence-based worldview. It opens up a whole universe full of amazing things and it provides comfort and calm in the face of adversity. The angst is gone. There is no puppet-master, just enjoy life and whatever it brings.

Atheism is just one small part of learning to curtail all your beliefs so they are commensurate with the evidence. Learning to say, "I don't know yet" is a big step.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was not allowed to go to science classes in public school, so the only beliefs I had about nature came from the dubs. Should no one have ever "preached" the "gospel" of evolution to me, I'd still be chained by prescientific beliefs.

I'm glad some people preach.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

new hope-

not to be pedantic, but if you are going to be an "athiest" you should know how to spell "atheist".

If you are going to subscibe to the beliefs of "buddism" you should know how to spell "Buddhism".

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

"Not to be Pedantic, but if you are going to be an "Athiest" you should know how to spell "Atheist."

Which reminds me, how many of us have run into a JDub who doesn't know how to spell "Jehovah's Witnesses" to save their life?

But I digress, not to derail the topic. I'm leaning more towards Agnosticism, so I do not know how much my view will matter or weigh in this discussion. I do not think Faith is something strickly belonging to religon. Was it not Mark Twain who said Faith was "believing something you know just ain't true."

I consider myself spiritual, and do not think of it as odd when hearing of Spiritual Atheists. And I agree with Cofty, there is no conversion about it. If anything it is a rejection or denying of concepts they deem to be myths. Generally rejecting anything without a strong lack of evidence. It only seems to be the most logical. I just can't decide myself. But if I were to lean a certain way, I think most would say I live my life as though there was not a Sky Daddy observing my actions. Works a lot better that way.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

L.O.L...ADCMS.

Anyway my " Athiest" thoughts on God. I think if you believe in God he exists in a similar way that time exists.Which i mean just goes to proove our beliefs dont create reality. Anyway i realise i can't disprove the existence of God but not being able to proove his existence is enough for me to be an " Atheist" ( correct spelling ADCMS)

Now thinking about the God of my childhood, he was never that distant to me and he was very benelovent and he was real. As real as a survey that asked Americans who thete favourite American was and the answer was Jesus. And the furry hippi God in Sothh Park wow God was very funny.

So what i am saying is as i grew up i never saw the God of the watchtower as a tyrant with a lower moral standard than myself. Now i find that abhorant but i can also understand why so many moverments are based on such tyrannical and evil Gods.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Well... I'm a 'theist' but I believe strongly in live and let live. It's very freeing... No preaching from me. If someone believes in God, then great. If someone doesn't believe in God, fine. Endless debates get you nowhere and people have different needs. As long as there's respect on both sides I don't see why everyone can't get along without trying to convert someone else. I prefer to read about how others are coping with life, inside or outside of WT land than get into endless debates that go nowhere, life's too short. It's people that matter not an endless list of who's right and who's wrong. I say just enjoy life, don't let anyone tell you how to think, feel, act or live. Be happy!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I would like to that my above point about people that are members of religions that hate, is that most use the religion to hate.

In my communinty many of the churches are full of loving people who spend time benifiting the community and wider world. I think this is a very important message.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"So why do some athiests want to convert?" -

Wait!!, What!!

How exactly atheists do that?

Ismael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit