by new hope and happiness 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NHAH, thanks!

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

OP: "But seriously even an atheist...[nonsense]
    ...so why can't i still believe in an after life?"

If you don't have a belief in a God, you are an atheist.
    Beyond that, atheists believe whatever they like.
    The definition of atheist stops at disbelief in God. Okey-dokey?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@ Oubliette!!..

True enough!..

Some Tequilas are worse than others..

"El Jimador Gold" is one of the more forgiving..

........................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

My hypothesis is that God exists, but he decided not to interfere in our life. He just wants us to evolve by ourselves. If there is a life after our death, we can know it for sure after dying.

The god of the Bible is an invention, and is the product of many different contradictory approaches, specially that of the Old Testament.

Another hypothesis is the following: If there is a judgment after our death, this judgment could not be based on our religious beliefs, because the hypothetical true God does not support any religion. Accordingly, for God, it does not matter if you are musilm, a member of a satanic cult , that is, a member of JW.ORG.

• Viviane
    Viviane

My hypothesis is that God exists, but he decided not to interfere in our life. He just wants us to evolve by ourselves. If there is a life after our death, we can know it for sure after dying.

That's not a hypothesis, that's speculation.

If there is a judgment after our death, this judgment could not be based on our religious beliefs, because the hypothetical true God does not support any religion. Accordingly, for God, it does not matter if you are musilm, a member of a satanic cult , that is, a member of JW.ORG.

Also speculation. A hypothesis includes testability.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I do not try and convert because I am an atheist. I try and convert because I'm an anti-theist and less specifically anti-faith. I belief that faith and religion are terrible problems for mankind that lead to crimes against humanity and an atrocious waste of human intellectual and physical resources. I am happy to use the tools beloved by religion (evangelism, polemic and emotional appeal) while rejecting the principles of religion (sin, division and moral absolutism) to do my best to make the world a better place.

This is the dream :) - get over here and check out rationalism and stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/fVieWwu.gif

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Viviane

Hypothesis: an idea that attempts to explain something but has not yet been tested or proved to be correct

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/thesaurus/american/hypothesis

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"has not yet been tested or proved to be correct"
    .. Notice the word yet, which implies that it will be tested in the future and will be either proven or disproven.
    A hypothesis (a scientific one that isn't a mere guess anyway), as Viviane told you, needs to be verifiable, meaning it is a theory that is possible to prove correct, by testing and recording the results.
    Seeing as nobody has come back from the dead to tell us that all is well, and that there is an afterlife
    where they watched Buddha shoot some pool with Jesus, after sharing a bottle of whiskey with Allah and Zeus (Who won? Jesus didn't have a prayer..), there is no way to carry out and record the results of a test in order to prove or disprove your theory. Once we're dead, we can't tell anyone anything.
    Unless you can propose a way to carry out a scientific test of your speculation, it's speculation. (see number 4: a guess) ;)

1. a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
    ...4. a mere assumption or guess."
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypothesis

• Paris
    Paris

I get irritated with atheists when they consistently say theists have no education, do not know anythng about science, and are not as smart as they are. Its a very jw way of dividing people.

There is a post on this site by a guy named Spark ? He went on and on and on with a whole long sermon saying we should all return to the Wachtower. He gave ten points to consider ? All of them absurd. BUT what I found most annoying in this guy was his "Watchtower Science " he said; " We only use 5% of our brains, you know."

Then he went on to wax poetic about how in the "New System" we would use all of our brains.

This is BAD SCIENCE. MRI Magnetic Resonance Imaging, done on millions of brains since the invention of this technology, shows brain radio wave energy. What these scans reveal is Good News and Bad News.

Good news is; You use ALL of your brain. Bad News is: You use ALL of your brain.

Thats it folks, your as smart as you will ever get.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Hypothesis: an idea that attempts to explain something but has not yet been tested or proved to be correct

Exactly. A key component of a hypothesis is attempting to explain something. What is that something? What is the observation you are attempting to explain? What measurement? What phonomenon? What, specifically, is the "something" that needs explanation? Also, that isn't even a scientific definition you've provided, proofs only exist in math. Testing is also mentioned. How would you test your speculation? What are the consequenses if your idea is correct?

You've not got a hypothesis, but speculation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit