What is the best advise you have ever been given?

by new hope and happiness 52 Replies latest jw friends

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Another great one, Outlaw!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

" Dont forget your life is what you live it" Not sure who said that. But its so wonderful to have my life. I really, really appreciate that now iam out the " watchtower". And now i feel i am really living MY LIFE. Hope you guys feel the same way !!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't think I've ever been given advice by another person, but the best advice I've read is "Pride goes before a fall", along with any other scriptures about the importance of being meek and mild.

I find that the more I tamp down my ego, and the more I moderate my negative emotions, the more successful I am. Any time that I've given myself even one little indulgence, in terms of speaking my mind to someone, I've regretted it later. So since I can always see the direct cause and effect in my life, where it comes back to bite me 100% of the time, I'd say it's the best advice I've encountered.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Between the Witnesses and Newark, my life was so cramped. I knew no middle class people besides my teachers. B/c Viet Nam was happening, teachers could get credit for combat duty if they taught at my school for two or three years. They were sophisticated. It was so strange there was a regular teacher's lounge with cigarette smoke and a short term avoid Viet Nam lounge with marijuana smoke. They hated each other. The avoid Viet Nam teachers sought me out. They told me I could go far and to have some courage. I speak to students now and pass it on. My life has been exciting. Without a leap of faith, it would be so boring. Those teachers were under no obligation to talk to me.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Apognophos:- It seems from your post you have made great personal development. I can relate too all you wrote.

Have you read the 6 noble truths in buddisam? They really explain pride and ego and negative emotions.

• Violia
    Violia

join the military, if only I could have broken from jws then and did it. It would have been the springboard for other things I wanted to do.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

People warned me of how phsically draining the bar exam was. It was so bad. I knew answers but could barely move I was so drained. One hour from the end, I thought of marking all my answers a certain letter so that a few might be correct. I decided to splash cold water. My brain was on strike. When I entered the ladies room about thirty women were congregated inside. One young woman recounted that her father was a lawyer. He told her there was no shame in failing the bar exam. He loved law but maybe she needed something different. If she did not pass, they would discuss alternate careers. What he did insist was that she finish the exam. He said showing up and staying in were important in life. Hearing that story allowed me to return to my seat. I have no clue what questions were asked. He was right about a life lesson.

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

Only take advice from people who are where you want to be.

• Mikado
    Mikado

never give up.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Never give up on something you can't go a day thinking about" ....Winston Churchill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit