HOW TO AVOID THE A-HOLE SPIRIT OF SOME HERE...

by DATA-DOG 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't recall a single incident of any atheist coercing me. This site is unique. Every priest I know accepts evolution. I defended Cofty about one year ago. A handful of believers organized and had specific demands. People who did not agree with them (which includes me) would not be allowed to read or comment on their post. It doesn't make much sense to join a community and then isolate so completely. I forget the details of their complaint. Not a single thing they complained about happened. It was sad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"The only time I have had any issue with atheists is when they try to pressure others to be atheists." - FHN

Interesting, I've known a lot of atheists including my best friend and have never been pressured to be atheist.

That's a good thing, no? I wish I could say the same.

Pressure isn't equal to coercion.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Pressuring someone to become atheistic really would be a foolish waste of time.
    It'd be like telling someone they should believe in something just because you said so.
    Questioning and challenging a belief does not equate to pressuring someone to stop believing in something, in the same way that saying things like 'you atheists are ignorant of the evidence of Gods design, how can you not see it?' is not pressuring someone to believe in a God.
    'Believe in a God or be destroyed/burn in hell, or never speak to your family again', on the other hand, is pressure. Those religions know it.

Atheists don't get brownie points or rewards for making people think about their beliefs. It is mostly done in self-defence, to protect others from controlling religious groups, or to stimulate thinking so that people can see through flimsy excuses or superstitions.
    Why would an atheist pressure anyone to not believe in a God?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Why would an atheist pressure anyone to not believe in a God?

Yes, sadly they do. It happens here on JWN. It's bewildering, until you see that the atheists doing this used to be JWs.

• Twitch
    Twitch

HOW TO AVOID THE A-HOLE SPIRIT OF SOME HERE...

ignore A-HOLE threads?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you're an atheist, I ask you, does your atheism hinge on believing most scientists are atheists?

See, the problems come when trying to define a stand and then others take it to mean something else.
    If I say, "NO, but my atheism is a result of understanding science instead of accepting faith, " then someone else will say that it fits your statement above when it clearly does not. It is not a coincidence that many/most scientists are atheists. They learn science which easily replaces faith.

And as far as pressuring others to be atheists, I am only speaking for myself here- To boldly claim that faith is not a virtue and anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all is not pressuring anyone to be an atheist. To show how easy it is to debunk the Bible and creation is not pressuring anyone to be an atheist. And even if you strongly disagree, a discussion forum is a most appropriate place to discuss/debate such things. I don't tend to tell people in other areas of my life how I feel about such things unless they ask me.

• Viviane
    Viviane

The only time I have any issue with atheists is when they try to pressure others to be atheists.

Do you have equal issue with people of any religion trying to gain converts also? If not, why not?

Yes, sadly they do. It happens here on JWN. It's bewildering, until you see that the atheists doing this used to be JWs.

Can you cite any specific examples? If so, have you taken it up with those specific people? If not, why not?

• Viviane
    Viviane

To boldly claim that faith is not a virtue and anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all is not pressuring anyone to be an atheist. To show how easy it is to debunk the Bible and creation is not pressuring anyone to be an atheist. And even if you strongly disagree, a discussion forum is a most appropriate place to discuss/debate such things.

^^^^^^^^This x1000.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

As Viviane said, I too would like to see a specific example from FlyingHighNow.
    I have never pressured anyone to be atheistic.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Viv: Can you cite any specific examples?

DOT: As Viviane said, I too would like to see a specific example from FlyingHighNow.

Guys: anecdotes, heresay and off-the-cuff comments (aka, "bulls**t) are evidentiary examples. This thread is rife with them from FHN and others. The only thing that is categorically ignored by FHN, et al, is the hard evidence presented (which has been amply supplied) undermining their baseless claims.

Don't hold your breath. Theists have a strong aversion to evidence.

BTW- I'm with On The Way Out: unless asked, I don't share my views on atheism or Bible subjects unless asked. Even then I say very little.

FHN: we know you base your conclusion on more than the statistics of what scientists believe or don't believe, so why the hysteria over the statistics? Edited to add, maybe "spazzing out" is more accurate then the word hysteria.

Statistics were supplied as part of the discussion. Posting them hardly constitutes "hysteria" or "spazzing out".

FHN: "maybe "spazzing out" is more accurate then the word hysteria": No, it isn't. It's equally as absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit