Sleep Aid Recommendations

by LV101 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Kalk - You've certainly survived this beast and have a lot of insomnia knowledge/history. I cannot believe what you've accomplished in spite of the insomnia - you must be a special species!

Good thing you at least have the medication that works and are able to use judiciously - I appreciate your info. It's hard to imagine the OTC's damaging the liver when used only when absolutely necessary but wouldn't surprise me. Maybe that's why some docs are adamant about them or they cause dependency. I think lack of sunshine is a problem - one I must deal with but it's so horrendously hot I can't stand to go outside unless I'm out of town. Shouldn't complain because 8 mos. are good here.

Have to give up my favorite habits (tea all day, no internet at night, no reading lights, etc.). My life has been deduced to a fan and a rubberband - whatever works! Too much light coming in since I'm surrounded by glass structure - what next! I'm counting backwards and must order the wave/wind item.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Sometimes there is nothing I can do to get a good night sleep.

Often I take melatonin 5mg.

I generally sleep 8 hours a night from 2 am until 10 am.

I find if i exercise hard, it adversely affects my sleep.

But it might have to do with the time I exrcise.

I play soccer from 8:30pm until 10 pm on Wednesdays and I always have a rough night trying to sleep that night.

I play soccer from 6:45 until 7:30 pm on Mondays, tuesdays and thursdays. I sleep much better those nights.

I try not to drink any caffene after 12pm in the afternoon, or it will keep me up when I go to bed.

I am now retired, I sleep much better and longer, When I worked I was always sleep deprived and had to fuel myself with coffee to stay

awake then I had to spend 8 hours coming down from the coffee before I could fall asleep.

• LV101
    LV101

James Brown - makes sense about your late soccer schedule. If it's only (not that I'm undermining your Wed. "rough" night) one time a week sounds like you've cornered the culprit. My childhood friend is a marathon runner and she has to take 2 Benedryl tablets/capsules in order to sleep after her run event and is a zombie the next day. Otherwise she can't sleep for night or two and she's been doing these marathons for yrs. An older/retired gent said if you have trouble taking the regular Benedryl to try the pediatric version. He's very active and works on cars all the time for hobby and says it works for him. Then I know others who need more than 2 - they must get immune and need more but at least it's not addictive.

I appreciate the comments on caffeine. I'm going to try to start easing up and watering down my ice tea beginning today. 12pm is just too soon but I get it! Do you recall someone posting adverse info about melatonin mos. ago - I'm thinking it was in reply to JuanViejo2's post on another thread besides Jam's thread couple mos. ago.

Thanks/appreciate.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tetley decaffienated tea!

• LV101
    LV101

jgnat - thanks. I will pick some up and, hopefully, it's available in regular, black, tea. I'm not big on those herbal ones. I just don't think I can go off my caffienated tea too fast and feel headachy/wierd. I'm wondering if the item your hubby has or a tape would be best. I'll probably have to get both to figure it all out.

Thanks.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, Tetley Orange Pekoe; black tea, no caffeine. We're old school tea drinkers too.

http://www.purewhitenoise.com/

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Melatonin knocks me out within 15 minutes! With my wife, however, it does nothing.

• jam
    jam

LVL101: WOW! If we could come up with a universal

cure for shutting the mind down or insomnia we would be rich.LOL

A lot of good recommendations..Apparently it's a big

problem... One cure for alll. LOL

• LV101
    LV101

jam - you are so right! Probably would take a lobotomy! There was a time when I could read a couple of scriptures and feel so good but that just doesn't work anymore. Seriously - I'd come onto this site and find a topic with quotes from the Bible and calm down most of the time. Those days are gone. Whether it was woo or not to some it got me thru the night.

• LV101
    LV101

jgnat - just listened to the white noise link - awesome. Thanks. I checked out the noise machines and I think the HoMedics sounds good - sound selection is limited but as long as it has waves/wind I'm good.

I ordered the Bose Bluetooth headset today so will see if that meets my needs but still want the sound machine.

Thanks for the links - I appreciate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit