Sleep Aid Recommendations

by LV101 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

In addition to the recent thread, "How to shut your mind down . . . " (which is excellent) but there was another thread about the same time I'm searching for and unable to locate.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Best sleep aid in the world: Plenty of exercise and physical activity! If your mind and body are satisfactorily tired it will shut itself down quite happily.

• ssn587
    ssn587

I always found a good round of sex with the spouse was a good sleep aid afterward.

• LV101
    LV101

Appreciate your help.

Dis-Member - I think you are right, however, busy, tired, days shut me down but then I wake up after few hrs. and stay awake which is not good. I think I need to stay busy right up to the time I call it quits - afternoon laziness (which I love but if I nap it's very brief because of phones, texting, etc.) is not good, maybe.

ssn587 - funny/true but stay 4-ever young and on same sleep schedule every night. My husband sleeps through the alarm system blasting and barking/roaring dogs when I'm dog sitting for family members. Unreal.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Benedryl allergy medication, cheap, no groggy feeling, non habit forming

• LV101
    LV101

LisaRose - Thanks - I've been hearing about 'Benedryl' for some time now - here's the rub - I took a capsule/tablet yrs. ago for allergic reaction and I swear it made me nervous or hyped me so I couldn't sleep - go figure! I'm wondering if some cold medicines (allergy, etc.) do this to some people before they get use to taking them. I'm been afraid to try but might be desperate.

Are you the one that posted the breathing exercise inhale & count to 8 - pause then exhale to 8 meditation one? It was a tad different than most and now I can't find. Anyway, thanks for your help.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There can be a paradoxical reaction to Benadryl. My sleep became chaotic during my years of pain. I tried Trytophan, turkey and bread sandwiches, dairy. Doctors emphasized the importance to always wake up and go to bed at the same time regardless of how you feel. Oh, don't exercise after 4 pm. No computer monitors after a certain hour. No lights also important. A night light can mess up your sleep. Meditation.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The over the counter generic sleeping pills work for me. No pain medication in them, non habit forming, and cheap.

• jam
    jam

Lv101: Thanks to the advice on that thread, I'm sleeping great.

Thanks to all of you.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Sometimes I take Melatonin that I buy from the health food store or Costco. It usually helps me go to sleep within 15 mins.

If I wake up early and can't go back to sleep, I listen to a podcast, or a really boring sermon. ;)

There are mediation and relaxation podcasts, or some people like listening to audiobooks when they have insomnia and it helps them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit