Sleep Aid Recommendations

by LV101 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

LisaRose - Thanks for drawing me a picture! I, too, love the beach (my 2nd home) and spend much time - extra time driving to and from especially without adequate night's sleep and I mean literally 7-8 hrs or I refuse to drive I-15 back to Vegas. Flying takes about as much time with all the extra time with airport drama - well worth it for safety, of course. Love the sound of those waves - mesmorizing.

Appreciate!

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://sound-machine-review.toptenreviews.com/

Hubby has a clock that makes wave or wind sounds. Very soothing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

An obvious one, if not mentioned before, is avoid caffeine in any of it's forms after lunch. That took care of one of my insomnia attacks.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Tylenol PM. I really only resorted to it a few times,but it worked with no unpleasant aftereffects. I don't have any chronic or desperate kinds of issues that way. After surgery when I don't want the hardcore meds is when I am likely to use it for a few nights until I can sleep without it.

*Note, I am a minimal drug user in any case, and the Tylenol PM was only so I didn't have to resort to narcotic pain meds which have had hallucinatory effects on me that is worse than pain.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If someone already mentioned this, sorry. I read something once that said if you have nighttime sleep issues, then stop struggling to go to sleep(which is mentally wearing) and do something that makes you feel productive instead of desperate. Try to nap during the day if that works better. The general idea was that we all have different body rhythms and body clocks and we shouldn't fight them so much when they don't fit our 'schedule'.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Try looking up information about sleep hygiene, and pay special attention to your LIGHT. A slow reduction in light (that includes TV and phone screens) helps prepare the brain for sleep.

Also... vodka.

• kaik
    kaik

Insomnia is horrible thinks and condition that is almost uncurable. I deal with it for 15-17 years and went to numerous treatments without any result. My started suddenly as a result of grave car accident, and had episodes that I could not sleep for two three days for several months. I been physically active, I used to run up to 20 miles per week, and until age 40 able to bench press my weight. However, no amount of exercise would help me to fall asleep. Melatonin and over the counter meds do not help and I had severe allergic reactions to several prescribed meds. I am being prescribed a small dose ambien, but would not recommend to everyone. Some people react to it strangely, for others it does not have any effect. I take it occassionally, when I feel that I will not be able to fall asleep.

I would avoid tylenon as it damages liver and any long term effect will cause problem. The best combination is sleepy therapy with tea, sleep music, and a lot of daylight in the summer. I sleep well after beach time. Avoid self-medication and always talk to primary care doctor. Some insomnia could signal other issues, so listen your body.

• LV101
    LV101

jgnat - I have to check out your links - dinner/clean up wrecks my time. Your hubby's clock with both waves/wind sounds awesome (love the wind) and I'm sure I'll have to order one of those. I'm hoping your other link will tell me not to worry about doing things I can't deal with. A couple of older ladies have this line and seem to use for every excuse under the sun and tell me, "well, you've already raised your kid(s)."

Thanks for links.

• LV101
    LV101

jwdaughter - I know a couple of people who take the Tylenol or Advil PM when they are in workshops or have other demanding schedules nad need to be alert in the A.M. Neither of them are drug users - take nothing ordinarily so I understand where you're coming from.

Interesting to use the Tylenol PM in lieu of pain meds. I was about ready to try them until everyone was talking about Dr. Oz's show where he said they were dangerous - yeah, maybe, if you take them daily for kicks. I don't watch his show.

Thanks - I do appreciate and have bought the Tylenol PM but never tried. For sure I'm not a daytime sleeper - just a zombie without nighttime sleep. I like the idea of not struggling to go to sleep. Someone else mentioned telling yourself you can't sleep - I'll go back and check all the comments and copy because I liked that one, too.

BackseatDevil - Are you serious about the Vodka - it's funny! Appreciate the link - this light issue is going to be a problem but I better get serious about this and go dark. Thanks.

Kalk - sounds like you've been thru hell with insomnia. Question: What about daylight in the winter months? I'm so afraid of those script sleeping pills but believe me, I understand why one would use them when you're desperate. Thanks for your help.

Jgnat - No caffeine beyond lunch - seriously! I stop coffee by 1:00 PM but drink ice tea (my fav) all day long and probably too strong. More I have to give up. Thanks, anyway.

• kaik
    kaik

My insomnia always peaks in November/December. I taking prescribed small dose of Ambien, because this is only thing that work. I went to two different university hospitals for sleep issues and never had any positive result why I cannot fall asleep except that my body does not produce sleep hormone after accident (had back and head injury). Never any solution for it. I could go without any sleep for several days. I was/am physicially active. I used to train for marathon, was bench pressing and was better shape at age 40 than I was 20 as JW sucker, I run, climbed mountains, camp in the woods, but no amount of physical activity would make me sleepy. Never. Only tired. I would not recommend over the counter meds, because they have side effect and damage liver. Never take alcohol to fall a sleep. Talk to your doctor, there is nothing wrong to take prescribed medication in very small amount occassionally.

Winter is good time to go to ski, and helps to be on fresh air. Burning us much heat before dinner. Learn what your body needs. Valerian or melatonin works only for some (not for me). Sometimes I just sit on my backyard with dew falling down and sun is rising over big city and I do not sleep. I learn how to deal with it. Insomnia sucks. I live with it for 16 years or so. I did my undergrad and postgrad at night in my insomnia loops. Never was out of job, and never had issue with it in personal life. I know it will be much easier to go to bed and just fall asleep, but I could not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit