Sleep Aid Recommendations

by LV101 58 Replies latest jw friends

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

Ambien is good , but some people do strange things under the effect of it if they stay awake for a while after taking it.

• freeinmichigan
    freeinmichigan

Try drinking tart cherry juice it has many health benefits including reducing inflamation, reducing pain, and promotes sleep among other benefits

• LV101
    LV101

Band - I concur. Sometimes the so-called 'least invasive' drugs are problem. I've heard of a few cases of Benadryl stimulating rather than sedating. I found out yrs. ago I couldn't work out in the evening although have friends that do some serious walking at night. I think the body adjusts and would like to try but not at this time.

I used to be able to fall asleep reading online but I'm sure you're right about the computers being a no-no - I've read the same info from other sources and might have to break another habit - this is not fun! The no light info is tough because I see glimpses of light with so much outdoor lighting for safety. I don't pay any attention to it and feel safer with all the exterior lighting outside so that's not going to change - might have to go sleep in a closet. This is just crazy! I see why people imbibe - whatever gets them thru the night!

I have a couple of friends who finally take anxiety med (low dosage, I think) to calm and sleep at night. It has to be addictive but I understand - at least they function well in the day time!

Don't know anything about meditation other than breathing exercises I've read on this board - guess it's time to find out.

• LV101
    LV101

jam - good news! That topic had some excellent advice. Anything in particular for success? Seems I tried counting backwards and maybe didn't try long enough. I've got the rubberband to wear on my wrist tonight and the fan ready to go. I don't have the I-pod since I've never used I-pod - maybe I've downloaded a program in past for an entirely different purpose can't recall but will look into doing that soon.

Thanks for your update and encouraging words re/ - omigoodness, just realized you initiated that topic. Thank you so much!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, I posted the breathing exercise. You close your eyes and open your mouth slightly (so you don't clench your jaw). Then breath in slowly for eight seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two, etc.) Hold for eight seconds, then breath out slowly for eight seconds. Repeat as many times as needed.

• LV101
    LV101

JimmyPage - Re: OTC sleeping pills - now those scare me after hearing what Dr. Oz said. I have friends who swear by them but Dr. Oz says they're dangerous and do not take - for whatever that's worth.

wolfman - Ambien seems to be the key for some. I know people who take it on overseas flights and sleep the entire travel time. Has to be serious stuff.

Nice_Dream - now there's a name! Melatonin must work but I'm still looking for a previous sleep disorder topic how it might cause problems - but what doesn't! I haven't had time today to search and the negative info wasn't in Jam's thread (as far as I know) but if anyone recalls please link or provide info.

freeinmichigan - For real - tart cherry juice! I like the idea of taking something healthy and natural. Might have to try.

Thank you all - I so appreciate!

• LV101
    LV101

LisaRose - That's it - the one I remembered reading (thank you/thank you) and that's a long count and takes some concentration/practice? I'm going to try - I think I tried before and figured I must have misunderstood/duh!

Thanks much.

• LV101
    LV101

Lisa - you posted the 'breathing exercise' on another thread besides or in addition to Jam's, "How do you shut down . . . " thread, right? Do you have any idea what thread it was?

Thanks.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Don't take any drugs. Except Melotonian.

I have learn to control my sleep to the effect that I can get dreams when I want them. The secret to sleeping quick is to try NOT to sleep. (The drug I listed above is anot a drg is is an increse of a natural chemical your liver produces that streches you sleep cycle out... use it.

Once done try to stay awake... unless you are silled in meditatin.. you will fall asleep... Happened many times to me... almost every night... it's VERY VERY hard to shut your body down and keep your mind awake.... 95% of the time I sleep first...

Despite onlt getting 4-5 hours lseep on weekdays I still feel somewhat relaxed by this ,ethod.

• Mum
    Mum

Reading (especially in a foreign language and cognac do it for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit