Demon attacks on JW in past, where'd they go?

by thedepressedsoul 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The deemunz have been hiding since 1987 when they realized that they'll have an advantage if people don't believe in them.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I remember at a district convention in the 80's there was an experience read out where a medium or some kind of mystic was telling some JWs that she couldn't contact the spirit world any more. When she did get through the spirits said they were too busy focusing on snaring JW children!

Whoever wrote that talk was kind of a dick for inventing a bs story just to scare kids.

We used to have a CO whose talks were mostly about the devil years ago. They were actually quite entertaining, he used to liken the devil to an anaconda coiling around you. I think he was called Bro Oldroyd.

I can see why the org would want to tone down the demon stuff though. It was given greater emphasis than god and Jesus a lot of the time.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You are right, this was a huge topic in the 1980's. It was one of the pillars of my teenage faith. If demons were so active in the world, then Jehovah must be real too.

The strange thing is that no one seems to even remember. I remember my mother saying my sister was levitated at a worldly party that she went to and there was a photo. Neither of them recall it. My best friend used to have knives thrown by demons above his head whilst he was in bed. He is now an atheist and said it never really happened. I wonder how much was people jumping on the bandwagon and exaggerating what really went on, just because it was something that was supposed to be happening.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I noticed the change too. I think these so called "demon attacks" were a combination of mental illness, overactive imaginations and attention seseeking. It has stopped because people are not as gullible as they used to be, more people are aware of mental illness and the organization has stopped publishing these kind of reports. I can't imagine a repeat of the talking Smurf stories of the eighties.

I am sure they still have these stories in places where people are less educated and culturally more likely to believe in spirits.

• Magnum
    Magnum

You know, I haven't really thought about that until now, but you're right. There was a lot of talk about demon attacks and influence a few decades ago, but not anymore.

• kaik
    kaik

I remember demon's preoccupation with JW through entire time. My family thinks that they are haunted by demons because they are in truth. When the weather is bad for KH or DC, it is because of demons. My elders were haunted and hunted by demons. Around 1990 my elder told me that he get harrassed by demon every time he is preparing for book/bible study. When he sits to study bible and brochures, the demon disturbs him. He had a soccer ball that would start bounce around and demon wanted to play. He would call God's name and that would stop.

In the 1980's I heard the strangest demons' attack on group of three elders who were sitting on sofa when a bookshelve collapsed on them. Because this was simple shelve that was mounted into the wall, I had enquired if they take a possibility that the shelve was not mounted properly. That remark was not taken lightly and was actually counselled by my elder.

Since I have left 20 years ago, not demon sighting, no bouncing balls, no falling bookshelves...

• Viviane
    Viviane

Does it seem strange how demons never bother people that don't believe in them?

• kaik
    kaik

Exactly Viviane. The same is with sighting of Virgin Mary, which occurs only Catholic countries where her cult is strongest.

• Mum
    Mum

Recently, my daughter talked to her JW father - an extremely rare occurrence which might happen every 5 years or so. She told me afterwards that he said that the demons were using me and that I didn't even know it. He's upset because our daughter has chosen not to be a JW, and he wants me to be the reason why. In fact, she's quite an intelligent woman and has had enough experience with JW's to know there's nothing they have to offer her.

So, every time we hear a strange noise or something goes wrong, we know that my "demons" are behind it.

• b00mslang
    b00mslang

@ New Worldly Translation

There was a similar rumor floating around in the late 70's.

The story floating around So-Cal was that Jeane Dixon claimed she was short on predictions because the spirits indicated to her that they were; "too busy working on the families of Jehovah's Witnesses".

I don't know how these rumors get started. The Smurf thing as well. I lived in Seattle in the early 80's and there was a story making the rounds about someone going into their kid's room and the child's Smurfs were dancing around on their own. These stories become more detailed and fantastic with each retelling.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

Someone else posted a Smurf story in another thread. I hadn't heard that one before and it was even more bizarre.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit