Not on jw.org - comments regarding bad Jehovah's Witness employees

by jwfacts 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jgnat - I wonder if this dishonesty and greediness in the workplace might stem from a characteristic of fundamentalist/extremest groups, called "nihililsm". Karen Armstrong uses this word in her book, "The Battle for God" to describe how fundamentalist believers would ignore the very basic principles of their beliefs (a Jewish suicide bomber eating bacon and eggs the morning of his mission, Muslim fanatics partying drunk before hijacking a plane).

This might come out of their conviction that the world is hopelessly corrupt, and therefore it is fine to throw convictions to the wind. The world doesn't matter.

Great comment.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

My experiences being an employee of “a brother” owned company is that some brothers engage JW, so that they don’t have to follow the labor marked laws.

In my case a brother with lot of money wanted to expand his business to another city. And he couldn´t think of using any worldly person as an executive and leader of this expansion. So I was asked to take my family to this new city in another part of the land and set up this business. Since it was a risky operation, I was told to keep my salary expectations as low as possible, with a promise that as soon as the business was established I would be his companion and part-owner on 50/50% basis. Stupid enough no papers were written – we were after all “brothers”..

The whole of my family went and within 6 months this business was not only established but quite a success. Asking for normal salary with traditional insurance, and pension funds, when this company was running ok, the brothers said wait another 6 months, and you can take over the whole business.

I accepted and after 4 additional month I was told on the telephone, That this brother had sold “my” business to his worst competitor and I was told to pack my thing and hand over the keys to this new company. I was offered one month salary x-tra (the minimum.) Since everyone in my cong was aware of all this I spoke to the CO,s , but he informed me that the branch office couldn´t do anything. This “rich” brother wasn´t even questioned in a committee.

I admit that I was so stupid not to sign some sort of a legal paper. But I was so you young then ….

Couldn´t even imagine that a witness could threat other brothers this way…

Bugbear

• sylvlef
    sylvlef

my father in law runs a small factory.He is an elder and is all into the jw thing he was screwed numerous time by jw businness partners and employees...never jonest, Never in time...he says he will never associate with jw business partner again (but still That dis not stop him to hire a jw woman he found hot...go figure)

• Clambake
    Clambake

On a somewhat related subject, what was the general consensus in your cong about handing out tracts in the workplace.

I knew a guy that what do it over and over till he would be fired. Of course his elder father just thought he was a real martyr. The truth was he was just a lazy loser who will live at home forever. He is nearly 40 now and never moved away, never kept a job for more than three months.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Food Lion Hit With EEOC Suit Over Jehovah’s Witness Firing

Share us on: By Brandon Lowrey

Law360, Los Angeles (August 20, 2014, 2:07 PM ET) -- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Wednesday slapped Food Lion LLC with a federal employment discrimination suit alleging the North Carolina-based grocery retailer fired an employee because he was unavailable to work on days he had to attend Jehovah's Witness services and meetings.

The complaint alleges Food Lion hired Victaurius L. Bailey as a meat cutter in June 2011 and violated the Civil Rights Act when it fired him weeks later over his faith-based refusal to work on Sundays or on Thursday evenings.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Around two years ago (me being long out), I was hiring for a full-time position at our company. One of the applicants turned out to be a JW, he said that he did a lot of volunteer work for his religion (read: pioneer) and could only work part-time. According to company policy, I could offer him 4 days a week/32 hours, which I did, as he was otherwise qualified.

We actually were in the negotiation process, when I asked for his current salary and what he was looking for. His current salary was slightly higher than I was able to offer, so wanting to be able to convince senior management that we needed to up our offering, I asked for a copy of his current salary slip. When I got it, it turned out to be quite a bit lower than he had stated. I called him to find out what was going on and he claimed that I must of misunderstood, the salary that he mentioned was desired salary, not his current.

We did not hire him.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

A lot of jw employees are good, but it seems to be the pioneers who have this sense of entitlement and take advantage.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

We own a very successful interior trim carpentry and cabinet shop. For the most part we have tried to keep away from hiring them to work for us or doing work for them. We are still owed money from a few elders we did work for and we will never see it. We have two working for us right now and they are good employees. Not sure what will happen when the shit hits the fan when I turn in my DA letter.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Nothing beats quoting/fabricating anonymous e-mails, expanding their importance into making it sound as if 100 % of the JW community are like those anonymous persons, and then calling oneself "...facts".

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's what the cult does OldHippie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit