Not on jw.org - comments regarding bad Jehovah's Witness employees

by jwfacts 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I used to be very impressed with convention experiences regarding how worldly employers would hire JWs because they were known as the most honest workers. I was too indoctrinated to realise these were selective experiences, and there are plenty of experiences of JWs being dishonest in the workforce. I have received a couple recently by email.

I have cut quite a bit out of the following email I received so that the person and company cannot be indentified, but you will get the message.

I fired an employee who is a member of the JW’s because I could no longer trust her integrity to carry out her duties without passive aggressively bad mouthing and undermining me behind my back. There were many incidents which I do not want to list here and take too much of your time to read.

Because of her strong JW association, out of respect for her religion, I no longer had office celebrations such as birthdays, Christmas parties, and other “religious” celebrations. ... She then proceeded to threaten me by saying she will drag my good name through the mud. All the allegations she made about me are false. She filed a complaint saying she was discriminated due to her religion, which is entirely false, since in the past, I have hired JWs.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks jwfacts for this. More need to see that JWs can be a workplace disaster. We are all individuals, we should not generalise. Anyone else got any more examples?

Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I cannot give details, but after a number of bad experiences, back when I was an Employer, and when I was an active JW, I swore I would never employ another JW, and never did.

I expressed this to other JW's who were Employers and they agreed with me !

There is real danger in employing too many of them, one JW I know got DF'd and 99% of his JW employess walked out that day !

He would have lost his business, and probably his Home, were it not for a non-JW who got hold of the necessary workers for him and made sure the contracts were fulfilled.

• KateWild
    KateWild

One JW that worked for me, breached confidentiality and told the elders something that got me df'd and then she resigned. Some emplyees whether JW or not have their priorities mixed up. This one certainly did.

All the other JWs that worked for me were great, and some don't resign just cos I am Df'd. Some non JWs are terrible employees too.

Phizzy thanks for your experience, it emphasises we should not have all our eggs in one basket.

Kate xx

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I could not agree more, I have employed dubs including elders and ms. I would say at least 60 per cent gave me problems. i hate using them for doing work a home, they always take advantage. The relationship is never on the right footing.

• steve2
    steve2

A Witness employee perfects the skill of witnessing on company time and still expects a full pay check. You will not hear about this skillfulness in the Kingdom Ministry, but you will know with the certainty of the prophets of old that,when the employer's back is turned, the Witness's mouth opens and it shuts only when the boss looms back into view.

• zeb
    zeb

and I have hired self employed bros for some jobs. Found their workmanship to be average with a very small "a" but the fees are up there with the 'worldly' professionals. Brothers and business are a bad mix.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Phizzy - There is real danger in employing too many of them, one JW I know got DF'd and 99% of his JW employess walked out that day!

That is a very real danger for any JW. I guess most do not expect to get disfellowshipped, but it can happen to anyone. It is a good warning for anyone fading that is reading this and employs JWs.

The other problem of having too many JW employees is they all expect to have the conventions and special months as holidays at the same time.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

You must remember...."They put God's Kingdom first". Most of them become teachers so they'll have alot of days off. I think this religion appeals to some of those who really don't want to work in the first place. How many have heard, could you simplyfy your life & go into full-time ministry ? For some that's LSD for them, stop working, just go out door to door, wow, that seems like a good idea. But they don't count the cost & believe the congregation will support them. There are bad employees everywhere...JW's need alot of time off, & think they are supposed to get it, in the name of religion. They may have just started a job & will go in the bosses office & say, now just letting you know when I HAVE to take off. Not even thinking when you first get a job you have to prove yourself first.

When I go out in service on Saturday, I hear how many went out in service during the week, it's amazing how many don't work. If they do they work part time & always ask me if I know of a job, I saw well, you can go to temp agencies, they say, well, I'm just looking for something part-time. Yet they complain how everything is expensive. Today's economy you can't buy full-time stuff on part-time money. But what I notice most of the friends in my congregation have houses...Go figure...well that's my 2 cents...

Legacy

• losingit
    losingit

My ex husband has his own business and at times employed other jws who needed work. I can tell you, it was pretty laughable. Most lasted no more than a week bc they were too weak to do the physical labor components of the job, and asked if they could do the easier aspects which required skills and knowledge. Um, no, you don't know anything about this trade-- you can only carry those bags and deliver the materials.

For those that did last longer, none gave us a 2 week notice when they quit. We had absolutely no advanced preparation , no time to find a guy to take his place. HORRIBLE.

I'd feel badfor the brotgers that were broke, but when I saw this pattern of behavior develop, I stopped advocating for their hire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit