Not on jw.org - comments regarding bad Jehovah's Witness employees

by jwfacts 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

My husband has had a long string of JWs working for him who are basically unemployable in the real world. It's only window cleaning and their unreliableness hasn't cost him too much but really, no normal employer would put up with them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wonder if this dishonesty and greediness in the workplace might stem from a characteristic of fundamentalist/extremest groups, called "nihililsm". Karen Armstrong uses this word in her book, "The Battle for God" to describe how fundamentalist believers would ignore the very basic principles of their beliefs (a Jewish suicide bomber eating bacon and eggs the morning of his mission, Muslim fanatics partying drunk before hijacking a plane).

This might come out of their conviction that the world is hopelessly corrupt, and therefore it is fine to throw convictions to the wind. The world doesn't matter.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Years ago, a JW who owned a business was relating how a number of his JW employees (who may have even been pioneers) didn’t do a good job, quit unexpectedly, and took off with company equipment, leaving them in the lurch. I was shocked.

Of course, now it makes total sense. As pointed out, they are just like anyone else. Being a JW has nothing to do with job performance.

Many months ago, circumstances brought me into a group of JWs. They asked me about my job because they heard about layoffs. I told them I was unaffected, for now, but one never knows what the future will bring. They said something like: “Well, they kept you because you are a harder worker. All JWs are hard workers. All worldly people are so lazy.” Of course, they had no idea that I am a fader and an “apostate”.

I replied, “I am an average worker, not exceptional. And there are many hard workers out there in people of many affiliations.” Then I related examples of non-JWs I knew over the course of my career that worked harder than me. This made an elder in the group uncomfortable and he quickly changed the subject.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

We've also had some Adventists do work for us and all too often they share the same attitude toward work - do as little as possible while earning the maximum amount of money for the job.

It's weird - I think because they also share the same 'living as alien residents' in a world ruled by Satan ... awaiting the paradise to be restored on earth.

Adventists and JW's also share the 'congregation is your family' notion and that the people in the 'world' can't be trusted - so this can justify taking advantage of employers or business owners.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know in my line of work an employee who maximizes their return while expending minimum effort means they never get promoted. Funny that.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

There have been loads of instances where witnesses in my locality have misbehaved. I know this isnt the case of an employed witness but one 'brother' decided to start up his own building business only he didn't really know anything about building. He ended up scamming a few customers out of thousands and got away with it.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

An elder worked for me once at the post office. When the vacation schedule circulated for the coming year, he'd pick his weeks. After everybody picked, he'd say, "Oh wait a minute, I've got assembly days I need to add on. The dates were already spoken for, so he'd throw a fit about religious accommodation. The Labor dept. Said we had to give it to him. This gave us too many employees off on the same week and it was hard to cover. He was all smirky because he put one over. He called in quite a bit too and I'd find out there was a weekend assembly. Not to mention how often we'd hear his mail truck was way off his route, parked at his house. I didn't feel he was very honest and many of his coworkers didn't respect him because he played the religious accommodation card and was a crybaby. The way he acted and gave me, as a supervisor, a hard time, made me sure I never wanted to go back. He was lazy, dishonest and manipulative, and he was an elder.

• Mum
    Mum

Okay, I knew a JW who worked in another department when I worked for a municipal government agency. Her job required a lot of community involvement, and one of the yearly outreach programs was called "Christmas in June," in which I know she participated. She also won an award for her community service. I wonder if she counted her field service as part of that service that won her the award.

She always looked very nice and drove a Lincoln. She had a high paying position which, I believe, was probably beyond her education level, but she had great social skills.

Finally, she was fired for running a private business from her desk at her city job.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

A particular problem with JWs in the Medical, billing and health insurance fields is lack of confidentiality. They put employers at risk of lawsuits every time they "report" a fellow JW to the Elders of being treated for anything they feel is improper for a JW or EX JW.

A sister who was a bookeeper (NOT a CPA) was constantly reporting JWs for what she thought were illegal deductions.- She was wrong on the laws.

Another Sister working in Hospital medical records had a hobby of researching anyone in the circuit who was admitted to the hospital that she knew, to see if they had a drug, alcohol, STD problem, taken Blood or had their DPA filled out correctly.

An elder who was a tax man blabbed everyones financial business.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

August 4, 2014: Yoga 'allows evil' into the body, says sacked Jehovah's Witness fitness coach, Maciej Grochowski, who won a payout from Virgin Active after he was sacked for ranting about religion which upset clients.

Awarded - £653.50

Hearing Fee - £950.00

Sacked from work for Bible preaching - Priceless

http://www.yourpersonaltraininguk.co.uk/trainer/954

UK MEDIA REPORTS

UK Daily Mail

Rochdale Online

Telegraph

Manchester Evening News

Christian Post

Share this

Google+