Need help understanding scriptues in Mathew. just trying to show my wife the BORG is soooo wrong

by goingthruthemotions 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

The WTBS teaches nothing unbiblical that I know of. - Dochouse

Here are four things for starters...

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

" False Prophets
    Individuals and organizations (1) proclaiming messages that they attribute to a superhuman source but that (2) do not originate with the true God and (3) are not in harmony with his revealed will." Reasoning from the Scriptures p.132

"It is important, then, that you "keep testing whether you are in the faith," as Paul declared. Keep checking to see whether the things you believe are in keeping with God's Word. But the question is, Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to light and life." Watchtower 1958 May 1 p.261 Is Your Religion the Right One?

Proclaiming messages that they attribute to a superhuman source??

"The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. God feeds his own people , and surely God uses those who love and serve him according to his own will. Those who oppose The Watchtower are not capable of discerning the truth that God is giving to the children of his organization, and this is the very strongest proof that such opposers are not of God's organization." Watchtower 1931 Nov 1 p.327

"When the time comes to clarify a spiritual matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible representatives of the faithful and discreet slave at world headquarters to discern deep truths that were not previously understood. (Matt. 24:45; 1 Cor. 2:13) The Governing Body as a whole considers adjusted explanations. (Acts 15:6) What they learn, they publish for the benefit of all." Watchtower 2010 Jul 15 pp.22-23

watchtower prophesies

"The year A.D. 1878 … clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord - …" The Time is At Hand (1911 ed) p.239

"… the battle of the great day of God Almighty … The date of the close of that "battle" is definitely marked in Scripture as October 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874." Zion's Watch Tower 1892 Jan 15 p.23

1993 Jan 15 p.5

"But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

"These, already examined, show that the close of 1874 marked the beginning, as the close of 1914 will mark the end, of this 40 years of harvest; while all the minutiae of the order and work of this harvest were portrayed in that of the Jewish age, its type." Studies In the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come pp.149-150

"we have seen that God has a set time for every feature of his plan, and that we are even now in this "Day of Vengeance," which is a period of forty years; that it began in October, 1874, and will end in October, 1914 [very shortly]." Studies In the Scriptures Series IV - The Day of Vengeance -pp.546, 547

"That the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time... Just how long before 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, was are not directly informed;..." Studies In the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come (1908 ed.) p.228

for a more comprehensive list visit http://www.jwfacts.com/

thanks for the references jwfacts

brainfloss

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

“There is no doubt that many throughout this period were overzealous in their statements as to what could be expected. Some read into the Watch Tower statements that were never intended.” Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose p.52

• Paris
    Paris

The WTBS teaches nothing unbiblical that I know of.

Apparently you never read Crisis of Conscience ? It takes a whole book to go into every "unbiblical" thing the WTBS teaches. Please read it, download it online and just read it.

The original question was about understanding scriptures in Matthew ? You don't have to attack the Bible or reject God to indentify the WTBS as corporation whose "work" is; to market itself. The WTBS makes the claim they are getting special information straight from God channeled through seven men and formerly through their past presidents. This is the issue you might want to concentrate on.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Thanks all for your response's....just being here for a short time i have learned so much.

Shalom All,

GTTM

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

It's EASY to learn fallacy. When people teach their OPINIONS as to what GOD'S prophecies mean- that does NOT make them false prophets. Just very indiscreet...

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello Everyone,

I enjoy the respectful atmosphere of this forum. A refreshing contrast to those on-line battlefields and slugfests masquerading as 'places for dialogue.'

Like many here, I have always wanted to understand the Bible. In fact, my research into the scriptures often put me at odds with other Witnesses. I have now had seven years to think things through. But to the point!

Two Witnesses approached me in a local park with their literature, to which I politely responded, "I have enough Jewish literature to read, thank you!" One of them began asking me questions while the other suspiciously scrutinized my every move. I sensed that the latter was filtering my comments.

Long story short, I simply stated that I believe the Bible--from Genesis to Revelation-- to be an anthology [a collection] of ancient Jewish literature. I suggested that Paul's synagogue circuit in the Acts of Apostles confirms that Paul was solely interested in reaching his brother Israelites scattered among "the nations" [not "Gentiles].

They seemed especially alarmed when I proposed that modern Judaism and Christianity are societal fictions founded on a misreading of the Bible. I then invited them to review my research, to which the speaker replied "not a chance!"

Too bad! Perhaps a completely different line of inquiry might have saved them years of frustration. You may find something on my web site that furthers your understanding: 'remove the root and you wither the bloom,' I say. Look forward to a discussion.

Bye for now!

http://www.freewebs.com/gwencarm

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

Tire- preach to me!

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Opinions???

"We need to obey the faithful and discreet slave to have Jehovah’s approval." Watchtower 2011 Jul 15 p.24 Simplified English Edition

see

disfellowshipping at http://www.jwfacts.com/

Notice all for the reasons for dissfellowshipping and then compare to reason in the bible.

Doc house said

It's EASY to learn fallacy. When people teach their OPINIONS as to what GOD'S prophecies mean- that does NOT make them false prophets. Just very indiscreet...

AGAIN --watchtowers definition not mine

Individuals and organizations (1) proclaiming messages that they attribute to a superhuman source but that (2) do not originate with the true God and (3) are not in harmony with his revealed will." Reasoning from the Scriptures p.132

thanks for the reference jwfacts

brainfloss

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Doc House: It's EASY to learn fallacy. When people teach their OPINIONS as to what GOD'S prophecies mean- that does NOT make them false prophets. Just very indiscreet...

Well then, Doc, by your own mouth you just invalidated the WT/GB as the "faithful and DISCREET slave". So why do you defend them?

BTW- your excusing of WT's false prophecies contradicts the Bible's description of what constitutes a false prophet.

You are a prime example of self-contradiction and arguing from a position of delusional ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit