Seriously considering stepping down as Elder

by fader77 65 Replies latest jw experiences

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I left because I couldn't countenance (is that a word?) being gay and going round the doors recruiting for an anti-gay religion.

I wasn't even a ministerial servant.

Being an elder and not believing must really f**K you up.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I can't stand the hatred and bitterness that the body of elders has towards myself and my whole family.

There's your out right there. The best way to step down and fade is either because of something to be highly offended by or something that embarrasses the elders. In my case, I had something to be highly offended by, so I was allowed to step down and fade without being bothered at all. In your case, if you bring up that you are stepping down because of the hatred and bitterness the BOE has shown towards you and your family, I think you will be allowed to step down and fade without being bothered by the elders. The CO will probably question you, but I'm sure you have examples. Just be firm and state you are tired of it and highly offended and can no longer serves with those men. Of course the CO will side with the BOE explaination of things, but in the end you will be allowed to step down and none of those elders will bother you about your lack of meeting attendance & FS. As long as you fade and fake "belief in the slave" you will also get to keep your family.

Amazing we actually have to talk here about schemes in order to keep our family, because we are or were associated with this family destroying cult.

• BU2B
    BU2B

wow.. great thoughts on this thread.. Marking.

I think you should step down citing stress, and anxiety issues. That wouldnt even be lying since serving does cause that when you know TTATT. I, through planned incompetence, was asked to step aside as a MS a few months ago. That was a big relief. You could try butchering your talks, forgetting you had them, etc and they will kick you out.

I feel for your situation with the girl in Australia.. How sad to be stuck with someone you do not love, but still care for and feel you missed out on a true soul mate :(

I feel I really do love my wife, yet dont feel close to her because of her being so wrapped up in the cult, and me knowing TTATT. I cannot be honest with her about such a huge thing and that hurts. I think that if she learned TTATT, I would feel again for her the way I once did. SHe is a kind, good person, and sometimes I wish she was a bitch because then it would be easier for me to ttake my stand because I would care a whole lot less about how she felt about it. Hang in there man.. I am here for you ;)

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Hello fader77. I so sorry your have to go through this. I was the P.O. when I woke up. I learned all my stress, high blood pressure, PTSD and horrible anxiety was result of being in this organization. My moment came to a head when my father died. Soon I told the body I was stepping down as P.O. but I remained a elder. I then let that ride for another year when I sent a letter to them that I was stepping down as a elder. By that time most already knew I was not happy as a elder and something was wrong. I admit it was a slow process but that how I was able to cope with it. I was lucky I had my wife on my side and it did make it easier for us to leave. All the folks who have made comments about this have given you some real good advice. Pick and choose what you feel would work best for you. There is hope for you and your family to leave together but it will take alot of research and action on your part to make it happen. Please don't let any set backs stop you. In everything we do there is always something that comes up that may not work don't let that discourage you. Just keep working at it. I am now 60 years old and this all happen to me from middle of 2009 to end of 2010. That was after 2 years of lurking on this site. I know this is not fair to you. No organization should have the right to but anyone through this. But this one we have all been involved in does. For myself my health it is 100 times better. I feel like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I still have set backs but the diffrence now is I have the knowlege and freedom to work my way through them. I understand what you are going through and I hope this gives you some encouragement to move forward without to much fear. Take care and best wishes to you and your family. Still Totally ADD

• pixel
    pixel

I feel for you fader77.

• fader77
    fader77

Thanks for everyone's good advice and concern. It helps a lot. To answer a few of you that asked, no we don't have any children thankfully. Not that i don't like kids, but considering the situation, it's better. I'm beginning to make slow changes. I have worked in a family business for all my life so far. I'm 37. Recently I went back to school for my Masters degree and I'm almost done. I'm in the process of a career change, and I feel this will give me a chance to make the changes. Constant exposure to family that is strong in "the truth" makes it impossible to make change it seems.

The part that will hurt the most is losing my parents. I love them dearly, even though they are deceived. I'm an only child, so you all realize the complications that adds to the situation. I was that "weird" JW kid with no friends all through school. Even though I'm still viewed as a JW, my classmates now respect me because I live a "normal" life to a certain extent, even though having the stigma of a witness.

If anyone were to leave it'd be my mom I'd say. She constantly expresses that she is upset by how the "bro and sisters" treat her. I've even "innocently" asked her "Does that ever make you wonder if all of this is true when you see so much of that in the org?" She replies, "well the world is so much worse even with how people act" Then just weeks later a "wordly" person will do something kind for her, and she has even said "some worldly people are nicer than witnesses even." Later she seems to forget it all though and is back to her loyalty to the organization. I have even told her "people are people. There are nice witnesses. Extremely loving kind JW. However, they would be that way if they were in the world too."

I have to head to work now, but I will be back here later. Again thanks for your support.

• Focus
    Focus

Your use of "stepping down" reveals you are hanging upside down in a belfry, friend.

Stopping being an Elder and associating with an Evil Cult of Lies is stepping UP and not stepping DOWN.

You would be rejoining the Human Race.

Right now, your status in the eyes of many is as a Reprehensible POS who knows something is a LIE but still keeps spreading it.

Stop sinning by helping this evil child-killing, happiness-destroying, family-splitting disease to vector!

Grow some, and just DO IT.

__

Focus

("Whore-stoning" Class)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Perhaps someone can start a separate new thread...but wouldn't it be great if every bro on this forum who is still appointed in some way could all "step down" on the same day around the world!

we could take comfort and draw strength knowing we all committed to doing it together !

imagine the stirrings at the top level if we all quoted the same exact reasons in succinct points? Perhaps quoting jw.facts or this forum....

The GB would have a heart attack! ( that would be nice)

• Focus
    Focus

The GB would have a heart attack

stuckinarut2, you underestimate their evil, presumptuousness, audacity,callousness and motivation. They would claim it was "Jesus cleaning out the temple" and use it as a recruiting tool for fresh victims, while at the same time breathing a sigh of relief that so many have come out of the closet and been removed.

Here they are:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/281632/1/Waiting-on-jehovah-and-the-Governing-Body

The only way to hurt them (that is legal) is to sue, sue, sue for damage to happiness, to a family life, to mental health, to emotional state, etc.

__

Focus

("Sue!" Class)

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Just a thought

Sometimes part of our dilemma, a huge part, is that we live a double life. We are all hypocrites to some degree, but those are usually in the little things that we can cast aside as insignificant. For the big things, however, like acting like a Witness when deep inside you are not, well, those things are different. They plague you, like an itch you simply can't scratch. And, they eat at you, gnawing subconsciously at your self-esteem and respect. To be an elder while inside you are an apostate (which anyone on this site could readily be considered), has got to be one of the most difficult to ignore. It's like cheating on your wife with her best friend and seeing her best friend all the time, and knowing, yeah, knowing that someday she will find out or you will tell her. The agony will make you crazy, and this, unfortunately, may cause you to do something more drastic than simply stepping down. It may well move you to publicly denounce yourself and position causing irrevocable damage, not to mention the collateral damage your family will endure.

Take it from someone who stepped down some time ago, knowing the inside scoop was simply not enough reason to remain serving. It may be for you...only you can decide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit