Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Behaving Like JWs

It's certainly not a concept we should apply lightly, because some people sincerely find such a point to be traumatic. I haven't seen anyone use it as a pat insult, but it likely it does happen.

• cofty
    cofty

Some of the behaviors may persist

Of course. As I have said 4 or 5 times there are valid exceptions. How often do I have to say it?

I haven't seen anyone use it as a pat insult, but it likely it does happen.

It happens frequently as a cheap insult. At least three people used it as a cheap, dismissive insult in this very thread.

That is my objection. I have no idea how to explain it any simpler.

• cofty
    cofty

First you say you don't think the expression, JW mindset is appropriate, then you back off. - mini

Yes - here it is...

Sometimes when we discuss things and really listen to the views of others it adjusts our opinions.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Of course. As I have said 4 or 5 times there are valid exceptions. How often do I have to say it?

If you'll look at post number 20669, you'll see that I quoted you on it.

You pulled a piece of this quote:

I look at it like drug addiction. You can put it aside and go on the wagon, but it takes time and work to weed out all the behaviors, tendencies, etc. of addiction. If a person has been on the wagon a long time, addictive behaviors are still going to pop up here and there. Some of the behaviors may persist, even when the person is on the wagon.

This the problem in a nutshell. I would encourage people to ponder such a suggestion, that the person is behaving like a JW, because as ex Jws, the possibility is strong that the suggestion is correct. How can JWs grow into ex jws if they are too sensitive to face the truth about the jw behaviors they are trying to overcome and hopefully leave behind?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It happens frequently as a cheap insult. At least three people used it as a cheap, dismissive insult in this very thread.

I'm asking this honestly, did they sincerely mean what they were saying? Or were they lying and only trying to insult someone?

• cofty
    cofty

We are talking right past each other FHN.

Almost always when somebody on JWN accuses somebody else of having a JW mindset it is nothing more than a cheap, thoughtless insult.

The one making the accusation can make a "JW mindset" mean absolutely anything they don't like.

How about just leaving out the insult and addressing the specific thing you don't like?

I honesty thought this thread would wither as quickly as I posted the OP. It was a pet peeve, an mere observation.

It seems to have hit a nerve. Does it potentially rob certain people of one of their favourite tactics?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Almost always when somebody on JWN accuses somebody else of having a JW mindset it is nothing more than a cheap, thoughtless insult.

I don't see the mindset term used. Usually I have seen people telling a poster or posters that they behaving like JWs, sometimes with reasons why. I don't read every thread though. Probably, these days, more like one to three threads per day and then sometimes weeks in between reading threads at all. So if using the words JW mindset is a growing trend, I have missed the examples of it.

If someone simply tells you that you have the JW mindset, why not ask what they specifically mean? The person may not realize the need to be more specific when sincerely trying to help.

I honesty thought this thread would wither as quickly as I posted the OP. It was a pet peeve, an mere observation.

It seems to have hit a nerve. Does it potentially rob certain people of one of their favourite tactics?

I was thinking your OP and further comments to this thread do sound peeved. If someone accuses everyone who does not agree with him/her of behaving like a JW, then it could be a tactic. If someone uses the concept judiciously and when it's approptiate, it's not being used as a tactic.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for sharing that you have not observed the problem because you don't read the forum much.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You're welcome. I'm just letting you know that I'm not as peeved because I don't see this happen all of the time, but to be fair, I have to say I don't read every new thread everyday.

• minimus
    minimus

Cof, you really are condescending. Flyin' has more posts than you and she's been a fine contributor for 11 years. You seem to think nobody reads things but you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit