Anyone recall a time when your congregation came to the aid of a Brother or sister in need??

by jam 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, Jesus did say we will always have the poor. He did help out the poor, but they would never disapear. The cong funds are not set up for that need. It's up to the individuals who are in a position to help to respond. Some JW's are stingy, and need to be reminded about this. In the first century, there were many stingy Christians. That's why the book of James strongly counsels them. We are no different today. Only some have responded to the call of displaying generousity. I have seen many acts of generosity displayed by individuals, and some cold acts. I have also seen some moochers.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Twice in 45+ years that I recall ...

Both about 20 years apart ...

Basically, in both cases, a brother is in need and would appreciate your help, announced at the end of the service meeting. Basically give the money to Brother XXX and he will forward it to the brother in need.

That was it.

Rub a Dub

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Most who are generous do not wish to advertise their gifts. That's why it's not visible.

I saw at a grocery store someone who got to the counter with her food, and when it came down to purchase them she reached in her purse and couldn't locate her wallet. She told the clerk to leave the bag of groceries aside and she would return later after she had located her wallet. When she returned and offered to pay for her groceries, the clerk told her that it was already paid by the person who was behind her in the line. That grocery bill was approx $100.00. The purchaser didn't want to be identified.

These acts of kindness are being conducted by many and not just JW's. But, in this case, it was a JW who did this to a stranger.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Over 20 years ago there was a man with MS in the congregation I attended. Several of the men took turns going to his mother's home where he lived and helped care for him after he became bedridden. I believe professional help had to be brought in later as he became unable to do anything for himself at all, but these were some very good men.

• kaik
    kaik

I remember in 1990 were were doing food bank for Romania. We were asked to create a food basket and put selected items there (flour, sugar, condensed milk, oil, etc.). I am sure some sister slipped there a bag of candy or chocolate. This was the ONLY time when we were asked to provide charity. When floods in 1997 and 2002 devastated Czech Republic, the JW got nothing, or I have not heard of any charitable work. As per KH to help a specific individual? We had active elder and publisher and became homeless (his family kicked him out and he shun them after they break with JW) so he came to KH with help where to live. They were able to find some place to live. But I do not think JW in my KH ever received any kind of help.

• jam
    jam

Yes we all can agree there are more caring people in the world

then miserly ones.

But as mention the GB tries to stifle that kind of caring emotions.

How? By stating "do more in the ministry, you are in this

position because you are not putting Kingdom interest first,

It's your fault that you don't have food to feed your family.

Personally I was never in need in the borg, but after leaving

the cult I failed on hard times do to problems from Vietnam.

My sons and I had a hell of a time...We ate a lot of beans and

franks.

I guess what bugs me is the GB attitude, if you put Kingdom interest

first, you will not have any financial problems.

He feeds the birds each day....

• forest heathen
    forest heathen

Uh no! Not as a congregation.

Elders and pioneers might visit folks in the hospital or something.

Some individual members would help other individual members. And my husband (former elder) and I (former pioneer) helped and were helped. We were "in" for 18 years, but we lived paycheck to paycheck on little more than minimum wage.

Sort of reminds me of the quote from Thomas More's "Utopia". Though not thieves and not being punished ... seems the WT religion condemns higher education and materialism, so that their members end up poorly educated, living on low income, required to own dress clothes for meetings, use a car for field service, and then when they end up in need ... condemn them further for not providing for their families.

~ Forest Heathen

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My old Congo had a few who really cared for the elderly and the disadvantaged, this was form their own heart, not instigated by the Elders.

We also had a programme of help for the elderly, lawn mowing etc, which was admittedly instigated by the Elders, but they assigned wannabee Elders and wannabee M.S , being way above doing this stuff themselves.

Quite often the wannabees were far more loaded down with work and family responsibilities than any Elder was, but the Elders are Princes remember.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit