Anyone recall a time when your congregation came to the aid of a Brother or sister in need??

by jam 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

yes , in the years that I attended my cong it happend once when I was at the meeting but it was announced, I managed to get a few snippets from my father and he said it was for a sister (divorced twice) who didnt have enough cash to service her car!

• jam
    jam

If the GB didn't have so much control over each congregation I

believe you would see more kindness from the RF... With the new

arrangement (donation), the ones that mostley in need will get the

short end of the stick. Those greedy bastards...

• James Brown
    James Brown

There is an old blues song that the witnesses embrace.
    "Nobody Knows you when your down and out."

by Bessie Smith

Eric Clapton and a host of others.

Once I lived the life of a millionaire, spendin' my money I didn't careI carried my friends out for a good time, buying bootleg liquor, champagne and wineWhen I begin to fall so low, I didn't have a friend and no place to goSo if I ever get my hand on a dollar again, I'm gonna hold on to it 'til them eagle's grinNobody knows you, when you down and outIn my pocket not one penny, and my friends I haven't any ...

• jam
    jam

James: Sad but true in JW world.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well I hate to give them credit, but a Sister that needed a heart operation needed two thousand cash before she could be admitted or whatever the case was, I was about 19-20 at the time, however, calls were made all evening trying to get the money and, lo and behold, they came up with the dough.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Quite the opposite experience here! My wife's aunt and uncle fell on hard times. He had a huge pile of medical bills and a very meager income. They were both in very good standing (he was an elder and she had been a pioneer. The congregation decided to have a sort of benefit for them which was going to basically be a get-together where people could give them a little something if they wished. No auction or fundraiser or anything of the sort and certainly no congregation funds would be used. Yet, when one of their sons decided to run it by the CO, he said absolutely NOT! We were floored and couldn't understand the harm. The party was quickly rebranded as strictly a congregation party, but most of us still handed them cards with money as we saw fit. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

NR

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Never out of congregation funds...always asked the r&f to fork over more money.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The two congs we were in never cared about the struggling poor publishers, nothing from cong funds ever helped anyone. Nope. Kate xx

• designs
    designs

We passed the hat on several occaisions to raise money for families in the Hall. Let people set up their RVs and Campers in the parking lot of the KH.

We use to set food by the KH front doors on Sundays and everyone that needed something could take the boxs.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I cannot recall any cases of financial help, but there were cases in the 1990s and early 2000s where Ex's kingdom hall organized meal schedules to help the sick and elderly. The sad thing is that those are the only cases I remember where any bona fide charity came from the local kingdom hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit