Rock-star Scientists

by Oubliette 49 Replies latest members private

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Did you know?

Many notable scientists were also very talented artists and musicians, (or perhaps you prefer to view them as talented artists that also did science, … whatever!) As part of my research for a recent school project I came across these short biographical sketches of two very remarkable individuals that distinguished themselves in both disciplines:

• Brian May: “The guitarist for a little band called Queen, he is consistently ranked as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He also has a Ph.D. in astrophysics. May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College, London and was in the process of getting his Ph.D. when Queen hit it big. Thirty years later, in 2007, he completed his dissertation. Yes, the man who wrote ‘We Will Rock You’ also wrote A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud. You probably know the words to only one of these” (Trendacosta, 2011).
    • Albert Einstein: According to Albert, "The greatest scientists are artists as well" (Calaprice, 2000, 245). Indisputably one of the greatest physicists of all time, he was also a fine amateur pianist and violinist. He is well known for his statement that, for creative works in science, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

So who are your favorite Rock-star Scientists?

- Note: This thread is a spin-off from my Philosophy of Science thread. If you like this sort of thing, please contribute there as well!

- - - - - - - - - - -

References:

• Calaprice, Alice. (Ed.). (2000). The Expanded Quotable Einstein. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press.
    • Trendacosta, K. (2011). 10 scientist rock stars. io9. Retrieved April 12, 2014, from http://io9.com/5810217/10-scientist-rock-stars
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Albert Schweitzer famous for his humanitarian work as a jungle doctor, was first known as a world-class organist.

Schweitzer

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Richard Feynman - Took up life drawing and drumming. Not sure how famous he was for either, but showed he liked to think "outside of the box", always game for new experiences/challenges.

• talesin
    talesin

Neil deGrasse Tyson (sp) because he is popularizing REAL science, and people actually listen to him. Along the same lines, Carl Sagan, and though he takes a lot of heat for his TV stuff, Michio Kaku.

tal

• Magnum
    Magnum

Richard Feynman (breakfast of champions beat me to it). He truly did think outside the box and didn't go with the flow. He played bongos. My physics professor told me that sometimes he would disappear on a sailboat and nobody would know where he was. He was absolutely brilliant. I have his three-volume "Lectures on Physics". Also have several books about him.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Not to many rock star scientist, if you have to have a phd to be considered. It seems May is the only one.

Below is a list of wanabe unheard ofs.

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/doctors-of-rock-10-musicians-with-phds/

There are probably a lot of scientist that make and play music. But the star portion of the category narrows the field.

I did some further research and here are some rock stars with a lot of education, if that makes them scientist remains open to debate.

Tom Sholz boston a genuine rock star, he has a degree in engineering wich is a lot of education the scientist part is debateable.

Deter Holland of the offspring a genuine rock star has a masters degree in molecular biology. If he wasnt busy with the offspring

he might have gotten a phd.

Tom morrello of rage aginst the machine and audioslave a genuine rock star has a harvard degree in social studies

not sure that makes him a scientist, depends on who you talk to and what your agenda is.

Jeff Baxter of Stelly Dan and the doobie brothers is pretty smart or manipulative. I dont know how much

education he has but he weasled his way into the congressional advisory board on missle defense.

Oh, that's right. He is not a weasle. He is a skunk. Just a litle of my dry humor. I really lke and respect Jeff

"Skunk" Baxter. Also a genuine rock star.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JB: I did some further research and here are some rock stars with a lot of education, if that makes them scientist remains open to debate.

From Merriam-Webster:

sci·en·tist

noun \ ˈ sī-ən-tist\

: a person who is trained in a science and whose job involves doing scientific research or solving scientific problems

Note: a PhD is NOT required!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Some great comments everyone!

I had forgotten about Feynman.

Tom Scholz of Boston definitely qualifies.

Not so sure about Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's a great advocate for science, but how is he a rock star?

Although if we interpret "scientist" liberally, then I guess we should to the same for "rock star"!

It's all about the mutliple-intelligence, cross-curricular approach to life!

• Viviane
    Viviane

Brian Cox was in a band that had some minor hits on the UK chart, I seem to recall.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Neil Shubin is just a scientist, but he is great on camera on his new show "Your Inner Fish". Very personable and animated and fun to watch. He is a rockstar in my book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit