Rock-star Scientists

by Oubliette 49 Replies latest members private

• done4good
    done4good

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion, also a Ph.D, and professor. Not necessarily a "scientist" of course, but a good example of rock and roll academia.

Tom Sholz of Boston was brilliant, (even though "only" an engineer), and an MIT graduate.

d4g

• Viviane
    Viviane

I am still wondering why the OP called me a twit and never bothered to retract it when it's clear he had no clue what he was on about.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

done4good, thanks for posting that about Greg Graffin of Bad Religion. I did not know that. The WP article about him says that he, "has lectured courses in life sciences and paleontology at the University of California, Los Angeles." Sounds like he is a scientist to me!

Tom Scholz clearly rocks in many ways. Definitely a scientist that applied his art and science in multiple ways. Are you familiar with this contribution of his to the technology of sound for rock & roll guitars?

Powersoak

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane: I am still wondering why the OP called me a twit and never bothered to retract it when it's clear he had no clue what he was on about.

Rather than inappropriately continuing this private spat between us on this public thread, I am sending you a PM. In it you will find my response to your comment.

Please try to keep your comments on topic. When you do, they are generally quite interesting and informative!

Thank,

Oubliette

• Viviane
    Viviane

Rather than inappropriately continuing this private spat between us on this public thread, I am sending you a PM. In it you will find my response to your comment.

IOW, you would prefer to apologize in private for being a jerk. That's really the only appropriate response you have.

Sorry, you wrongly and needlessly made the insult in public, you can deal with it here also.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane,

You received my PM. That was your response.

Please, stay on topic or stay off the thread.

Oubliette

• Viviane
    Viviane

I was on topic. It was you that strayed and decided to be insulting and wrong. I will await your apology.

• done4good
    done4good

Are you familiar with this contribution of his to the technology of sound for rock & roll guitars?

I did not know that specifically. It seems he was actually quite active with the development of pedal effect systems. OK, that qualifies!

d4g

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I just came across this: Dexter Holland of the Offspring has both a bachelor's and a master's in molecular biology from the University of Southern California.

Dexter Holland

As of 2013, Holland is a doctoral student at the Laboratory of Viral Oncology and Proteomics Research, Keck School of Medicine, USC.

Pretty cool!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

And since we're interpreting "rock star" so loosely, I thought I'd add this entry to the list:

Dolph Lundgren is generally known for portraying brawny lunkheads films; but in real life he has a master's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney in Australia.

Dolph Lundgren

Who knew?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit