Rock-star Scientists

by Oubliette 49 Replies latest members private

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I have a friend who did a P.H.D in aging. I was privaliged to be dedicated in the book he wrote to get his P.H.D, and he and his wife are great, and i never thought to ask them what is a P.H.D?

• talesin
    talesin

Yeah, okay, I get your drift .............. over and OUT.

• talesin
    talesin

Ya know, screw that. How is Neil D-T not a rock star? What rock are YOU hiding under? Have you ever heard of TED talks?

I guess all the unheard of names in other ppl's posts are rock stars, ,, but what is your beef with that, you don't specify? Or, to use a Seinfeld reference (George Costanza) "IT WAS COLD!"

t

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Talesin: Have you ever heard of TED talks?

Yes, of course I have. Why do you ask? What's your point?

Talesin: How is Neil D-T not a rock star?

rock star

noun noun: rock star ; plural noun: rock stars ; noun: rockstar ; plural noun: rockstars

1. famous and successful singer or performer of rock music.
    2. a person treated as a celebrity, especially in inspiring fanatical admiration.

Clearly, Neil deGrasse Tyson is a NO in relation to definition #1, but probably a yes to #2 (although I question the "fanatical admiration" part). I am also a musician specializing in shred guitar and heavy metal music, so perhaps I am biased towards #1. YMMV.

Can you explain why you need to be so contrary rather than just going along with the fun spirit of this thread? Why do you need to be so difficult and argumentative? What did I ever do to piss you off?

Please, go back and read the OP and try to get my point: Really smart and interesting people have a wide-variety of interests and talents.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Richard Feynman

• smiddy
    smiddy

I thought james browns post was really funny . Anyway.

Julius Sumner Miller was a scientist

And in my veiw he was a rock star "Why " ?

because he featured in a TV show called "Why is it so "

It was educational and it was humourous and it was enlightening , surely encouraging other young ones to seek out the sciences.

smiddy

• KateWild
    KateWild

This is an interesting thread. I didn't know about Brian May. But it doesn't surprise me as music is very mathematical and has patterns. As is science. Thanks for this very interesting. Kate xx

• Viviane
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane, what was your point in posting that video?

It is completely disrespectful to Stephen Hawking, a man that has made tremendous contributions to science in general and theoritical physics in particular, all in spite of overwhelming physical disabilities.

I hope you know that the video was created by a guy named Ken Lawrence using the pseudonym MC Hawking. Stephen Hawking had nothing to do with it.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I know it's a joke and who made it. I first saw it at least 10 years ago. It's funny. I don't see it as disrespectful at all. Lighten up!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit