Rock-star Scientists

by Oubliette 49 Replies latest members private

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane, I don't see it as disrespectful at all.

Well I do. Thanks for completely missing the point of this thread and being a twit to boot.

Sigh ...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Stumbeline, That is a very cool find!

I'm reposting with the video imbedded:

A Glorious Dawn: Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking remixed

By Melodysheep, "My own musical tribute to two great men of science. Carl Sagan and his cosmologist companion Stephen Hawking present: A Glorious Dawn - Cosmos remixed. Almost all samples and footage taken from Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Stephen Hawking's Universe series."

• Oubliette
  • Viviane
    Viviane

Your offended? Well, so what? You nor anyone else is harmed by the video. It's a lighthearted thread. You'll be OK. Maybebeven next time you can handle your issues like an adult and not call people names.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Well, you've got more of an issue with it that Stephen Hawking who said he found it flattering. Methinks you called the lady a twit too soon.

• DJS
    DJS

Hawking has been on Big Bang Theory a few times and featured 'off screen' others. Some of those episode they clearly poke fun at him, and he seems to revel in it. I'm with Viv. I see no disrespect in it.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hi Oubli! He wasn't a "rock star" cuz rock and roll hadn't been invented!

From Wikipedia:

Alexander Porfiryevich Borodin[1] (12 November 1833 – 27 February 1887)[2] was a Russian Romantic composer, doctor and chemist. He was a member of the group of composers called The Five (or "The Mighty Handful"), who were dedicated to producing a specifically Russian kind of art music.[3][4][5] He is best known for his symphonies, his two string quartets, In the Steppes of Central Asia and his opera Prince Igor. Music from Prince Igor and his string quartets was later adapted for the US musical Kismet.

He was a notable advocate of women's rights and a proponent of education in Russia and was a founder of the School of Medicine for Women in St. Petersburg.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Rip, that's the spirit!

Borodin is one of my favorite composers. I particularly love his Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor.

Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor

• done4good
    done4good

Brian May: “The guitarist for a little band called Queen, he is consistently ranked as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He also has a Ph.D. in astrophysics. May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College, London and was in the process of getting his Ph.D. when Queen hit it big. Thirty years later, in 2007, he completed his dissertation. Yes, the man who wrote ‘We Will Rock You’ also wrote A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud. You probably know the words to only one of these” (Trendacosta, 2011).

Brian May actually built, (and supposedly only played), his own guitars, (along with a Vox tube amplifier). This is was what always gave his guitar a rather unique sound. Perhaps a bit off topic, but I think it speaks to his intelligence and talent.

d4g

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

d4g, I'd heard that too.

From WP:

• The Red Special is an electric guitar owned by Queen's lead guitarist Brian May and custom-built by him and his father, Harold. The Red Special is also sometimes named in reviews as the Fireplace or the Old Lady, both nicknames used by May when referring to the guitar.

Brian May and the Red Special

Great comment and definitely ON topic!

Thanks,

Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit