Midweek Meetings no longer Necessary

by Tech49 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Why don't they drop weekday night Meetings altogether ? In my day we always had an attendance 25% at least lower on weekdays than on Sunday.

I guess they need to keep up the mind control going full power at least twice during the week, or all the R&F might start to wake up !

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My personal observation from the outside, is that the WTBTS is foundering, and going in more than one direction at the same time. This causes invertible failure at some, or maybe even all levels. They not only talk out of both sides of the mouth at the same time, they act this way too.

It will be interesting to see the continued progression of the "new" direction that keeps contradicting old, then reverting back in this massive information age.

The draw of the "organizational power" over other people will always be there for some. But for how many, and for how long....

• sir82
    sir82

Listening to some inept brother ask the same dumb question over and over and try to stretch out 5 paragraphs into a 30 minute "study" is just painful.

Yep.

Most weeks, the information in the CBS, including reading of the paragraphs, could be covered in 15 minutes or less.

A semi-skilled conductor can make it slightly less painful by reading scriptures, asking for personal experiences, etc.

Most of the time, though, the dude up there just asks auxiliary questions he made up in advance, even if the answer to that question was covered 2, 3, or 4 times in preceding comments. So you end up with comments making the same point, sometimes with the exact same words, a half dozen times per paragraph.

It is just awful.

• Giordano
    Giordano

We live in an information age of stunning proportions. The WT is a 19th century religion with an early 20th century educational outlook. Any wonder the meetings and discussions are banal?

This is not a thinking person's religion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Two elderly JW couples that I know car share to get to the K.H for the Meetings, they decided a while ago to drop the mid-week Meetings because of the cost even though they car share.

Are there more like this ?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    We left shortly after they dropped the home book study. I knew I wasn't going to stick around to see the long term results, but I thought this was a serious mistake by the society. The home book study drew you very close to several families in the cong. You were never as close to other people as those in your book study. Hasn't disbanding this been detrimental to the community feeling (and also, pressure to keep going) in the congregation? Anyone still in, can you see/feel the difference?
  • TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Faye,

Yes I would say it has made it colder. The closeness isn't there and cliques are more common. The field service groups are a pitiful alternative. They only meet for a few minutes once a week, and there are always those that can't meet or have to work on sat. etc.

Oh yeah - and no "Treat Night"! That at least was something remotely normal and enjoyable.

-TE

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We felt a huge difference after the book study in homes was eliminated. The kids enjoyed it and it drew everyone closer together. This organization takes all of the joy and anything that remotely seems to bring any happiness and either they ruin it or eliminate it. All the happiness is supposed to be saved for the paradise (not now).

They have discouraged (past and present)...marriage, children, nice homes, the purchase of vehicles, vacations, careers, college education. They tell the brothers how to cut their hair, no beards, the colors of their shirts, the types of shoes/socks that are and are not acceptable. The length of sisters skirts, types of blouses, if the wear pantyhose, the # of piercings they have in their ears. Where you sit at the hall or assemblies. Even the kind of sex you can not have within your marriage. The list goes on and on. The rules are endless with no scriptural backing.

Your happiness is just around the corner. NOT!!!

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Isn't it funny???

Remember how the "book stud arrangement" was going to be KEY in getting us all through the Great Tribulation? There was even parts in the late '90s and early 2000's regarding emergency supplies, phone lists of publishers, etc.

Now......it's just an afterthought.

God they are dumb.

• pontoon
    pontoon
    For those in a long time remember when the book study was called a rendezvous? That was the place we were suppose to rely on for safety, direction, and connection to the Org when the government cracked down on religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit