Midweek Meetings no longer Necessary

by Tech49 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tech49
    Tech49

I am sure we have all seen the recent Letter to the BOE concerning the change that will take place to the meeting arrangement during the week of the CO visit. To recap the basics: The meeting that usually contains the Cong Bible Study (Book Study) and a CO talk will be discontinued, publishers are encouraged to use their Family Worship night that week to cover Book Study material.

So here is a point that I think has been missed, or not even considered:

If that particular meeting is hereby deleted from the schedule, the CO and his wife will NEVER EVER have to participate in or go to another "Book Study", or "Bible Study" night again. They will not be considering the material with the congregation. The brothers and sisters will not get to hear their insight, or thoughts on the material being presented.

So by extension, why does anyone else need to attend? Can't we all reflect on the material privately? If its not important enough to warrant a meeting that week for the rank and file, and not important enough for the CO and his wife to EVER be a part of on a congregation level, then why bother?

Second point: I thought that the purpose of the CO visit was to encourage and get to know the congregation, to be a part of it, to show kindness and consideration, to be a real breath of fresh air to the brothers and sisters, to the families that work hard just to make a living? So how are they supposed to do that in 1 jam-packed night a week, with wana-be elders and ministerial servants breathing down their necks and vying for positions and appointments, and another ultra-jam-packed Sunday meeting where the CO does his best to hurry up and get the hell out of town while he has some time for himself before the next congregation requires his attention? Sounds to me like they are cutting cutting cutting at the expense of the flock (big surprise, right?). So its a 30% cut in meeting times, and opportunities for average folks to take advantage of the "grand spiritual banquet" that is so lovingly provided for them. How is that loving? Arent we continually admonished to "not forsake the gathering together"?

(of course, the obvious fallacy in all this, is the belief that these "grandios ones" are really that effective and encouraging in the first place anyway..)

My personal feelings are that eventually the "Congregation Bible Study" will be done away with entirely, and relegated to "personal study time". Its already a rush-rush hurry-up 30 minute Q&A as it is.

Yours truly,

Jack Harper, Tech49

• suavojr
    suavojr

I would be happy if they got rid of the boring 'cong bible study' but they would find a way to insert some other boring material

• suavojr
    suavojr

The CO will have less time to know the people but it has always been like that unless you attend a smal cong

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I thought that the purpose of the CO visit was to encourage and get to know the congregation, to be a part of it, to show kindness and consideration, to be a real breath of fresh air to the brothers and sisters, to the families that work hard just to make a living?

--

Wrong.

The CO is a regional manager who's job is to make sure the lesser managers (elders) are enforcing company policy. With recent changes, he is now also in the 'business' if "hiring" and "firing" managers for the company, namely, by being the sole person who appoints and deletes elders.

Encouraging the factory workers (Publishers) is of no concern to a CO.

• designs
    designs

Wasn't there a brief period, possibly early 1980s, when the COs were given this much power and it didn't last long.

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

The CO is the only reason an elder still shows up at my door once a year.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Good point Tech49. Especially.....

'I thought that the purpose of the CO visit was to encourage and get to know the congregation, to be a part of it, to show kindness and consideration,....'

The stupidy of it all!!!

I'm all for it! I would be happified if they got rid of the Congregation Bible Study altogether. The once called Book Study is soo dead, drab and a drag!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My personal feelings are that eventually the "Congregation Bible Study" will be done away with entirely, and relegated to "personal study time". Its already a rush-rush hurry-up 30 minute Q&A as it is.

That would also eliminate the need to publish a new book every year or so. That has to be an expensive proposition since everyone at the District Convention Regional Assembly gets a FREE book, then loses it by the time it's studied at the CBS, then gets another FREE book at the Lit Counter. Just quit printing all the CUT & PASTED old crap and save the BUCK$.

Doc

• steve2
    steve2

The CO is the eyes, ears and whip of the organization not to help the congregation - unless help is defined as helping the congregation meet all organizational expectations to get Big Brother off their back.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You are missing the obvious! The Organization is progressive and theocratic, therefore all it's decisions are based on God's word. The extra night during the week is being lovingly provided by the FDS, so that the CO and his wife can get a job and financially support themselves like the Apostle Paul. That is the scriptural precedent, so I am just certain that's why we seeing this timely "adjustment."

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit