An increase in security at this summer's conventions??

by gingerbread 34 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

It is not only police and"security" (what a loose term!)who can search you on business or private premises.If you have clearly visible information for visitors that states all attendees who bring bags into your premise could be searched as a condition of entry, you can search those bags or, if the visitor refuses, turn them away. Period. That most businesses and premises consign those tasks to registered security is to reduce the risk of allegations of unfair treatment over and above conditions of entry.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Giving the ASL gesture for "masterbate" will let you in, no questions asked.

Yeah, but I don't recommend giving it during the keynote address, no matter how much it's warranted.

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

In most stadiums they will have their own security and police enforcement. The JW can't do anything about it, it's a city ordinance or the venue's policy, since the International conventions will be held in major NFL stadiums, you can expect some of this security searches just like you would be searched when you attend major sporting events.

The attendants will not be doing the searching, their training (there's a video showing them what to do and so on) does not include any security searches and stuff.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Security at such events would be primarily looking for weapons and explosives. With all the junk that JW's have to bring anyway- seat cushions, food/drink items, note taking things either paper or electronic, books, baby items, medicines, lounge chairs in many places, maybe their own toilet paper (well, not yet)- no security would do more than glance at each person's belongings.

Your average apostate with a purpose would not bring any of the items they would be looking for. They might just bring a t-shirt with their message on it or use their voice to disrupt.

Unless they are going to look for McDonalds cofffee cups as opposed to generic no-label cups, people with no Watchtower literature or no lunch items (indicating they may leave the venue at the break).

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

No one is allowed to search your things unless it's security hired by the building owners and with very strong probable cause or the police. No one has the legal right to search your or your things other wise.

That's actually not correct at all. In fact, when you are in a private venue where there are "security" personnel, things are very different. While the fourth ammendment protects you from unreasonable searches by public safety officials ( police) it does not protect you from private security when you are in their property. So there is no need to strong probable cause when it comes to private security. Ironically, when it comes to searches, private security has more power than police.

Now obviously, who can be called private security at a convention? If the ORG has designated a group of people to perform that function, then those people are security, even if they don't have a uniform.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

I might just hide a smurf or two in my bag.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

i think I read a thread where someone had said that some of the venues requore security beyond the brothers. i may be wrong. i do think some also said some are in unsafe areas?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I might turn up, do you think some spotty faced 19 year old JW attendant will have the balls to search me?

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Oh yes, this is the time of year when the wolves get constant reminders to wear their sheeps clothing.

• blondie
    blondie

So are you suggesting that the WTS "security" work for the people that own the venue? You might be searched by a non-jw security person but at the direction of a WTS staff? I don't think so. I worked in those venues and the authorized bulding security (usually off-dutiy police hired for the event) but never a WT appointed brother who is not employed as security by the building owner.

So you are suggesting that the WTS can call themselves building security and the building owner has no say in that? Not in the buildings I worked in. Tehy were to call the designated security hired and paid by the building owner. And if the WTS presumed to do otherwise, they would find themselves liable for any damage to person or property.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit