An increase in security at this summer's conventions??

by gingerbread 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

I volunteer for security at Twickenham, London and the security and alertness is always high.

All attendees are asked to label their bags and any unlabelled bags unattended will be reported. Never searched stuff, but anything suspicious will cause the police, who are on site, to be notified.

The DC, aka Regional Convention, is a hot area for pickpocketing - several reports of valuables stolen at lunch breaks!

• tornapart
    tornapart

The DC I'm going to, the non-JW staff of the auditorium are handling the security and they quite often search bags at other types of events there. So maybe it's not so far-fetched.

• blondie
    blondie

So this is jw/WTS "security" people...they have no legal grounds to search anyone's belongings in the US.

That will definitely keep away non-jws with no family jw connections. They evidently don't want the "public" to be made welcome. Of course, it is easy to duplicate those badges. This is the so-called official reason to wear badges.

*** km 4/12 p. 5 par. 6 Our District Conventions—Powerful Testimony to the Truth ***

When we wear our convention badge, this not only serves to advertise the convention and enable other delegates to identify us but also gives a witness to onlookers. People in the convention city will observe that those wearing a convention badge are dressed neatly and modestly, not with the unkempt and provocative styles common in the world.

It's too bad you can't find a BOE letter to that effect, otherwise it could just be the over officious words of some self-important elders.

The attendants at the hall were told not to touch a belligerent person at the hall unless they were physically attacked and it was best to call the proper police.

*** km 12/89 p. 7 Question Box ***

In areas where security is a problem, attendants should be assigned to protect against vandalism or disturbances by opposers. If someone inside the Kingdom Hall tries to disrupt the meeting, he should be asked to leave. If he refuses and persists in causing a disturbance, the elders may contact the authorities. (Elders have additional written direction that will be helpful to them in such a situation.) In some areas it may be necessary for assigned brothers to check the Kingdom Hall parking area during meetings.—km 11/84 p. 4.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Blondie has a valid point, legally no one is allowed to open or search any bag unless he is a police officer or working on behalf of them.

• pixel
    pixel

Sorry, but hard to believe.

• Londo111
    Londo111

If true, maybe the paranoia of the Apostate Boogeyman is running high.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This only applies to the United States of America:

If you are entering a privately owned facility you and your items may be searched as a condition of entrance. Police officers are prohibited from searching your bags/belongings without a search warrant or probable cause. Only private security can search you as terms on entrance.

This is what happens when you attempt to enter a professional sports event or any other event at a large forum/arena.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The International Convention in Seattle is at Husky Stadium, and the stadium is demanding attenders go through the security checks. Expect long lines as you go through. I don't know what the security checks will entail as the elders have been pretty hush hush about it. Just a blip that there will be security checks and to be patient when entering the stadium.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

This may have been a reference to a nearby International Convention. Don't know as I'm getting this info second hand from one person who 'listened in' by phone and two other who were physically present during the service meeting. Two separate congs made this 'announcement'.

I'm meeting one for lunch today. Our conversation yesterday was short - he should provide a little more info.

ginger

I do think it is a scare tactic that will increase distrust of outsiders and inactive JW's. It does seem a contradiction to give out public invitations to people in the territory...

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Giving the ASL gesture for "masterbate" will let you in, no questions asked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit