First Post - Emotionally Torn

by scaredtospeak 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Welcome! I look forward to reading more about your journey. You have a great story, and will find a lot of support here. You are not alone!

My husband and I studied the bible with the JW's for a long time, and seriously considered joining. It was like we were slapped in the face, when we saw some interviews with a panel of former Jehovah's Witnesses on a TV evangelist show, The John Ankerberg Show. (YouTube search: John Ankerberg Show former Jehovah's Witness)

I have to agree with you on the point you so wisely picked out: WHY can't you pay attention to outside reports about the organization? (Is it because they have something to hide?... Turns out, YES! That is exactly why!)

The JW's we studied with, loved to use the logic: "If you want to know the truth about JW's, ask a JW. Don't ask your friends. Don't look it up on the internet... the 'Truth' is right here! Listen to us, and you will see what we are like!" (blink blink)

What could be a more reliable source of true and balanced information... someone who wants you to join a group (or buy a car), or someone who gave their whole life to that same organization, only to find out there were some potential problems in that group, that need to be addressed? We thought our teacher would address those problems, and give us an explanation (Why are these nice people saying these things about the Watchtower Society?) His response: "They are APOSTATES! Liars! Fornicators!" (HUH???? What does that have to do with Beth Sarim?)

Just because you are no longer a Jehovah's Witness, does that mean that every thing you say is a lie? (These are Jehovah's Witnesses, for crying out loud!)

------------------------------

Before joining any organization that wants to claim control over your everlasting life (and never let go, as I'm sure you have seen for yourself by now), it is wise to check their references, and do a little homework. What if it were a decision that involved LESS of a commitment? A travel destination? A summer camp? A new school or even purchasing a new home?

Have your parents ever read hotel reviews online, before booking a hotel? (if not, suggest it for the next convention that requires a hotel stay... you can hear what others have to say about their experience at that hotel)

What if they were sending you to summer camp, or ever had to choose a babysitter for you? Would they take note, if someone informed them that there had been reports of child sexual abuse? Would they ignore rumors, and just trust the person in question? Is it really wise to just "take their word for it," when someone actually claims to SPEAK FOR GOD?

Ask yourself, Why is there no honorable way to leave the Jehovah's Witness organization?

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I have to agree with you on the point you so wisely picked out: WHY can't you pay attention to outside reports about the organization? (Is it because they have something to hide?... Turns out, YES! That is exactly why!)

It is amazing how we really are programmed.

I remember when the program below aired, and I dutifully changed the channel.

This reporter hates JW's, Fifth Estate hates JW's, blah, blah.

Finally watched it 2 nights ago.

McKeown WENT EASY.

The anguish of that poor young man.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/the+fifth+estate/ID/2294364390/

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Welcome, Scaredtospeak!

• Fernando
    Fernando

A very warm welcome scaredtospeak.

JWN is a great place to speak your mind, grow, develop and trade tips and advice.

It is a little hard to give specific advice until we know you and your circumstances better.

Having never been in the US it is also hard to work out your age too.

Wikipedia does help much either: "In the United States, a sophomore is a student in the second year of study at high school or university."

At any rate if you are at school you may have to explore if and how you and your parents could reach a truce.

However when we are adults it is crucially important to be true to ourselves and our beliefs (if we are to avoid Cognitive Dissonance and resulting illnesses).

What are the possibilities of living with your brother/s?

Your parents have assumed they are right and you are wrong.

As a SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious) person of faith (and an exJW) I have one question for your parents: "Is it honest to call ourselves 'Publishers of the Good News' whilst unfamiliar with the Good News according to Paul?"

Best wishes on JWN and on your life's journey.

Fernando

South East Queensland, Australia

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Compaaionate faith is perfectly compatible with the facts of evolution. Life is still valuable and to be enjoyed. You can see it as having a purpose, even if we are too puny in this vast universe to ever get to the bottom of it. If you want, give your life YOUR purpose, one of your own choosing. it doesnt last long in the end.

You are finding all this stuff out at the right part of your life. You are not responsible for other peoples feelings and reactions to your convictions. Your parents are in a FOG themselves and cannot help it. But they have to deal with this for themselves, just like you are having to. It gets better.

Just remember that most people are basically nice, you have your whole life to make friends share love, and to leave something worthwhile behind when you die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit