Strike 3 for the elderette and me! (???) I never heard a JW talk SO much about Jesus!

by Faithful Witness 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

So, in response to her repeated question, "Have we come to you, and taught you anyting that was not true in the bible?"

I said, "Well, there is that thing claim that Jesus told us to call God 'Jehovah.' I don't agree that it should be added to the New Testament. After Jesus came, HIS name was put above ALL names..."

She then said, "We aren't pronouncing Jesus's name right either, so maybe we should take His name out of the bible! Would that be the answer?"

I said, "No... I am not disagreeing with the use of the name in the OT. I just don't see where Jesus told us to call God by his name. He called him Father."

"He said He came to sanctify God's name. I showed you where He said He had come to make His Father's name known."

"But he didn't tell us how to pronounce it... and there is no record of Jesus ever actually saying the name."

Miss K then opens her grey bible, and starts looking up the reasoning behind adding the divine name to the NT. We start reading it together, and she says, "I have not read this yet, so I don't know what is in here..."

We read the intro and the first 2 bullet points, and she paused. I went back and was reading, and how it stated that there was a discovery of "some very old fragments of the Greek Septuagint that existed in Jesus's day, discovered in the mid-20th century." (some, not how many or any other description here... how do they know they were from Jesus's day? Not specified). "So, in Jesus's day, the scriptures did contain the personal name of God." Then it goes on to say how the name was removed, and the history of the Jews and how Acts 15:14 states that "God had taken a people for his name."

This is where they call upon logic, to reason that James would not make such a statement if no one in the first century knew or used God's personal name.

Logically...

So I asked her, "So are they saying that there was no accurate bible, until the mid-20th century?"

"No. It doesn't say that!"

I asked, "Doesn't God have the power to preserve his word?"

"Jesus said that his word would be corrupted after His death..."

I asked, "So, is the bible true or not?" She said it was.

She then said something about there being a difference between a "version," like the KJV or NIV, and a "translation." She brought out her big blue book, and showed me a flow chart that showed where they got their bible translation from. I asked her who did the translating, and she gave me the JW answer about men "not wanting to be glorified." (or accountable, however you want to look at it...)

Then she asked me who wrote the KJV. I said I didn't know, but that my friend that I mentioned, and her husband have done some extensive research on bible translations. I told her that the KJV was actually the only version of the bible that is not copyrighted. If you want to make copies of the KJV, you can. You can copy as much or as little as you want, and you can even sell it! If you want to make any changes, or print your own bible, you need a copyright. In order to get a copyright on a new bible, you have to change a certain percentage of the text in order to qualify for a copyright.

She admitted she didn't know anything about that. Then she asked me if the KJV was accurate. Why did they take out the name of Jehovah 7000 times?? I explained that I wasn't defending any translation or version of the bible, but pointing out the fact that they needed to make significant changes to their new translation of the NWT, in order to get that copyright. And I added that some of the changes made DID actually change the meanings. They did take out parts, and even added things, like Jehovah's name, for example... where there was no record of it in original manuscripts.

Then she told me how the fact that JW's have been spreading the name of Jehovah, has made the church actually start using his name also. It turns out that the JW's are the ones who have told everyone what God's name is! Hallejuiah! Seeeee!! WE are the truth! blink blink

I pointed out the change that had been made, in removing the brackets in the text. The old NWT had brackets to indicate where the translators had added words. The new version removed those brackets, so the words just look like they were there all along. I pointed out that sometimes those words could change the meaning. Miss W seemed to have heard about this, because she said "but aren't they usually articles, like 'a' and 'the'?" I admitted that I hadn't done a lot of research on specifics, although I had found a few, and it really did have changes made.

I showed her how in the KJV, it has italicized the words that were not in the original manuscripts. When I read it, I can tell what words were added. Miss K asked if that was ok, in my opinion... I said yes, since I could identify what was added. So she asked me if the KJV was completely accurate and true.

I said, "Maybe NONE of it is true! Should we just throw it out the window?" The argument that there was corruption in one version, but corrected by unidentified "scholars" in the 20th century, was supposed to be proof that her bible was more accurate, even though they admitted they had made logical assumptions to make changes (in order to get a new copyright).

She gasped... "We're not saying that!" hahaha (last week, she had told me we could use any version of the bible that we wanted to use...)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Ask her why the NWT had to be replaced? Didn't the FDS make it?

Then tell her that "JEHOVAH" NEVER appeared in any ancient texts. The best you could get is YHWH. Even the old NWT says that no one knows the correct pronounciation. She needs to understand that when the JWs say , " We have the truth because we use God's personal name.", it's simply not true.

She was throwing out a red herring by saying, " Should we throw out Jesus' name too??" That's NOT even the point. The point is that no one knows GOD'S name because GOD didn't preserve it. Therefore, how can ANY religion use the claim of knowing GOD's name as proof that only they have all the answers?!? Then ask if she knows who Raymundis Martini is?

This may help ! http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/253299/1/ANOTHER-DISHONEST-QUOTE-FROM-CHRISTS-BROTHERS#.U25aXoFdWSo

DD

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

jehovah in the NT. Its an interesting topic. It does seem to me that superstition (or reverence.....depending on how you look at it), colored what some did with God's name at one time. I don't have aproblem with the NT using Jehovah or the te, or whatever, when it actually is quoting from a place in the OT where the name appears. That seems reasonable to me. But I think that only accounts for 87 of the 237 instances of Jehovah in the NT.

So going with strict "translation" not "version", this would simply be dishonest, since the oldest, highest rated manuscripts do NOT contain that name. Better to just not worry about inserting it. Instead they use the "J texts" which came many centuries after many available manuscripts to support this idea. Jason DeBuem in his book "Truth in Translation", by and large defends the NWT (which I don't really have a problem with), but the appendix at the end does discuss the use of jehovah in the NWT thoroughly and in an east way to understand. I would highly recommend it since this is a topic of interest for you.

As far as the rest of it, you did great. Why not keep going. Next time focus on authority. Who has it? Who does not? Searcher gave you some great WT quotes where they relate you SALVATION to wether or not you listen to the GB, even though they are prove to misunderstandings, change teachings, and then enforce teachings through shunning if it comes to that.

Responsability and authority are not the same thing, but JW's conflate the two with ease. It is not just semantics, it is a serious cultural and doctrinal tipping point that allows them to control people from the margins. That topic is one I have with A LOT of JW's and they usually respond very favorably.

And there is also blood. The single most indefensible doctrine there is. You can blow this up using just your reasoning ability nd the bible SO FAST it will have their head spin.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Faithful Witness - Robert: She asked me if I wanted to continue, and I said I had to think about it. I told her I have been tossing it around in my mind, since the only in-depth perspective I have taken on "the bible" was using that guide published by the Watchtower. I feel that I need a better bible foundation, before I can really discuss things with her fairly. Right now, we have left it open-ended. I told her I would get back to her, and she said she'd check with me later in the week.

HI Faithful Witness, You have been given a lot of great advice how to trip up Miss K and Miss W and increase their cognitive disonnance.

Unless you are able to convince Miss K (and Miss W) of not using unhealthy influence tactics (i.e., switching topics and saying derogatory things about your thinking) or empowering their authentic persona, IMHO continueing to meet with Miss K and Miss W will only increase your frustrations. Since Miss K and Miss W have an agenda to indoctrinate you, you need to take control away from them to keep them off balance.

IMHO limit your meetings preferably to 60 minutes and never to exceed 90 minutes, do not use the "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" book, and confront them on using unhealthy influence techniques. If you can convince them that they are using unhealthy influence techniques, that it is adversely affecting you from studying the Bible with them, and it is making you question what are their intentions in studying the Bible with you, it may throw them off balance and empower their authentic personas.

Faithful Witness - Blondie: Thanks for those references! Great points. I am learning a lot from this lady, and yesterday she told me she is enjoying the challenge, and the chance to defend her beliefs.

FYI the elder who conducted a Bible Study with me also used a similar phrase about how he felt strenghtened by my challenging his belief in an interpretation of a bible scripture. At the time I thought it was strange that the elder would say this to me, because I did not say anything that would challange his belief in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or God. May be an exJW can explain if the WTBTS teaches JWs to say this to bible students as a control technique. If a JWs tells me that phrase again, I plan on asking them, "Did I challenge your belief in the Watchtower and its leaders, or in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and God?"

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Even if the name of God is Jehovah were does anyone esspecially ones that are not sons of god get off calling him by his first name??? Jesus was Gods sons and yet he didnt disrespect his father by calling him by his first name!! Its time you quit this mess and the next time she calls tell your "done and that your religion can not be the truth since it exalts itself and judges other christians religons as Satan's. This is exaxtly what Jesus was talking about in the sermon of the mount that ones need to be humble and not arrogant. Your religions arrogance is to much for me thanks but no thanks, by the way have you ever read Luke 21:8 ok By"

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Making known God's "name" isn't literal. I think it is more about making known who he is!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

So she kept pointing out how Jesus submits to the Father. Ok. Got it. So therefore... we submit to Jesus, and do what... ?? Follow his commands, beginning with his greatest commandment, love.

She keeps assuming that if she puts my questions "aside" or "on the shelf" for now, that I am just going to agree that she is teaching the truth.

I think she probably had somewhere she was trying to go with that, but didn't really know how to bring the point home, or else she lost track of her point. Unfortunately you gave her permission to pontificate on something you already agree upon, thereby wasting your time. Instead of letting the discussion meander in the future, I suggest writing down some talking points and making sure that you stick to those, taking short notes on what outcome you have for discussing each point. Otherwise you inadvertently recreate Acts 19:32.

So, we again returned to Matthew 24. I looked at the chapter, and I started skimming through it, asking her how they came to the conclusion that Jesus appointed them in 1914, based on this one verse in the parable that compares what it means to be a faithful or evil servant.

This is where more advance research can really pay off. You could have taken them to the parallel account in Luke 12:42-48; the last two verses of that passage make it more clear that Jesus' point was that people need to discharge their responsibility according to their understanding. It had nothing to do with some Christians having authority over others, and everything to do with individual Christians accounting for their own actions after gaining knowledge of Christ.

You also need to counter-punch more. Okay, so if this scripture is about people taking charge of other people, what about the scriptures saying not to "lord it over one another" and not to have titles? A JW will say that they don't use titles, but in fact they do. Just because someone is not addressed by the title, as in "Elder Johnson", does not mean that "elder" (or "pioneer"!) is not a title. Show them the dictionary definition if they don't believe you.

Why would this one verse actually be a prophecy about someone being appointed sometime in the future?

See, JWs believe that all those parables you mentioned are prophecies. This is a general theme in their reading of the Bible, as shared by the various movements that Russell was influenced by in the 1800s. The WT article with that alarming statement about following illogical instructions from the GB talked about the "attack of the Assyrian" that is expected in the future. What Assyrian? The one that threatened the Jews in Hezekiah's time, and died thousands of years ago. It's a simple historical record, but the Society is stating it will have a future fulfillment, with absolutely no reasoning given in the article for why they are so sure about this.

You should hold their feet to the fire over things like that "human standpoint" statement, as it's quite boldly cultish and they completely failed to give any justification for it, as the Bible account was about logical instructions given by Hezekiah to defend Israel, not illogical ones that they obeyed simply because he was king (see my thread here for details, but read the next page or so for some factual corrections to my opening post before you repeat that material to anyone).

The society needed to keep track, so they knew that the JW's had preached to every corner of the world.

Yes, but the real reason, at the highest level, is that the Society believed that they could use numbers to predict the end of the world. I'm not even referring to 1914 here; I'm referring to the fact that the Society thought that by tracking how many lands and people had been preached to, they could predict when "the end" of Matthew 24:14 will come. Likewise, tracking the Memorial partakers was intended to allow them to count down to Armageddon by watching the number dwindle to zero... oops.

I wonder if any thought crossed their minds, as they filled in their time on their FS reports today.

Nope, it didn't, because they don't fill out their report until the end of the month. And if they don't, they get an embarrassing call from the secretary. So, really, there's no room for doubt in their minds; the reports must be filled out. By the way, the pioneer who said she's not making her time this month has to meet a yearly quota of twelve times her monthly goal, not a monthly quota. So if she's short in one month, she can make up for it in another month before the service year ends in September.

But I must say, she really played the Jesus card.

Lip service, plain and simple. They don't do as they say.

I feel that I need a better bible foundation, before I can really discuss things with her fairly.

You definitely will want to buy some books on the Bible if you want to continue this discussion. That's why the conversation still gets steered by the pioneer; she knows what to say because it's a mental road she's been following for years. You need to know where you're driving before you can take the wheel. By all means, take some time off from these visits so you can make the time for reading. There's a lot of fascinating books out there on these subjects, with information that JWs don't have an inkling of.

(we have agreed that we are only discussing what the bible says, so quoting the Watchtower is not going to work)

See, this is a sword that cuts both ways. If you don't let her promote the literature's take on the Bible, then you can't directly attack the literature's take either. This allows her to say "We don't do this or that" when the literature says otherwise. I'd suggest not sticking to this restriction in the future, if there is a future.

I didn't let her get away with that again. So I said, "Like what? What is one of the lies being spread on the internet?"

She paused to think of her answer. I was hoping for something juicy, but no... "Like that JW's don't belive in Jesus." (sigh again... REALLY? Please use google next time and get back to me with a different lie to defend!)

[...] I could tell they were getting nervous, so I didn't talk about anything that was said.

Sorry, but you did let her get away with this. You made a great opening, but then you let it go. Is your heart in this or not? Because by being polite, you're only wasting your own time (not theirs, they get to count the hours!). You need to interject something here like, "What about the flip-flop on organ transplants I read about?", or "What about all the reports of child abuse settlements, are those false?" Something that will shake them up.

Please dwell on why you decided not to say something that would make them uncomfortable. What was the mental process when you skirted away from the subject? Because I think you may still be suffering from a bit of JW programming. You have to be willing to make them (and yourself) uncomfortable, for their own sakes.

An interesting and quirky anecdote, inserted in the conversation here by Miss W, who comes along as backup and is mostly quiet during the discussion. [...] She said, "Well, I was talking to ___ the other day, and she was saying how she had seen more of them recently. Then we were together, and we saw a group of about EIGHT of them! We looked at each other, and said, 'Is this another sign of the END??!' "

Wow. This is an old JW meme, the idea that increasing numbers of carrion birds means that Jehovah is preparing to bring the end. Surprised to still hear people say that. It's a good thing she didn't see the house I drove by recently that was absolutely covered in buzzards (maybe 20 of them), she might have fainted.

I said, "No... I am not disagreeing with the use of the name in the OT. I just don't see where Jesus told us to call God by his name. He called him Father."

"He said He came to sanctify God's name. I showed you where He said He had come to make His Father's name known."

"But he didn't tell us how to pronounce it... and there is no record of Jesus ever actually saying the name."

Your response to her statements in the NT about sanctifying God's name needs to be, "But this was referring to his name in a figurative sense, like when you 'defend someone's name'." Don't let them twist the scriptures by being literal, when it's clear that 'God's name' is his reputation, not the written or spoken name of God.

it stated that there was a discovery of "some very old fragments of the Greek Septuagint that existed in Jesus's day, discovered in the mid-20th century." (some, not how many or any other description here... how do they know they were from Jesus's day? Not specified).

No, the Septuagint was around well before Jesus; the fragments we have today are from after Jesus. I recommend really reading up on this if you're going to challenge them on the divine name in the NT, because it's a complex subject. I second the recommendation of "Truth in Translation" by Jason BeDuhn (note the correct spelling).

She then said something about there being a difference between a "version," like the KJV or NIV, and a "translation."

In short, this is a nonsense distinction to make. The word "version" in King James Version is not some kind of disclaimer. It was a careful translation from the same kind of old source that the NWT used. It did in fact suffer from doctrinal bias, like virtually every Bible translation made, including the NWT.

She brought out her big blue book, and showed me a flow chart that showed where they got their bible translation from. I asked her who did the translating, and she gave me the JW answer about men "not wanting to be glorified." (or accountable, however you want to look at it...)

Exactly. The names of the KJV translators are recorded in history, and people are able to verify that they were qualified to read the languages they were translating. Not so with the NWT.

Then she told me how the fact that JW's have been spreading the name of Jehovah, has made the church actually start using his name also. It turns out that the JW's are the ones who have told everyone what God's name is! Hallejuiah! Seeeee!! WE are the truth! blink blink

Does she know that the word "Jehovah" in English predates Witnesses by a few hundred years, and that its use has declined sharply since Witnesses came on the scene? See this thread. Likely the effect of so many pushy, divisive JWs promoting the name at people's doors caused it to take on a sectarian flavor and it became less tasteful for other denominations to use; however, an additional factor was definitely the move by scholars to refer to God's name as "Yahweh".

You should ask the JWs why they aren't interested in pronouncing the name at least closer to the original Hebrew; we may not know the exact pronunciation, but we do know for a fact that Hebrew doesn't have a letter 'J'. At the least, they should be saying "Yehovah" like a modern Hebrew speaker does.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I just want you to keep meeting with her so we can hear your discussions. Great stuff!!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Never noticed this before but according to the text the "other sheep" should be listening to Jesus.

John 10:14-16

English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)

14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit